Sponsored

How are the MT-82's holding up thus far

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Hey folks, just wanted to get some insight from everyone in the forum regarding any issues with the MT-82. Apart from the thuds, which seems parasitic to everyone, any other gripes or issues with the newly improved MT-82?
We know they beefed up the synchros and did some work in other places where in previous years have been gotchas, although the shifters can still use some help, but thats another topic. In order to not derail, lets get things started with my experience so far.

Model - GT
Miles - 610
Median Temperature - 80-90's Fahrenheit
Grinds - None
Thuds - 1 > 2 > 3 gears, none while rev matching and downshifting
Other - I have noticed that when it is cold, and I mean cold to Floridians (70-75 F) I dont get the thud in the car, This is usually early morning starts. As the car warms up, I start experiencing it coming about intermittently, but pretty much goes away if I do some spirited driving.
Additionally, I can also feel at times while warming up, that going into gear I can FEEL the gears click. Almost like if I was to push it harder it would grind. I was adventurous and decided to push harder and the extra "click(s)" when engaging gear went away. If I baby it, softly into gear, I get a a click or 2 here and there, only felt vie the shifter, nowhere else in car.

If we can keep this format throughout that would be great as well. I want to centralize the new MT-82 experience for everyone and hopefully prove or disprove this transmission is no longer an issue with longevity and quality, or if we got the same dog and pony show. :cheers:
Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Model - GT
Miles - 2400
Temp - 30F to 40F
Grind - N/A
Thud - 2nd & 3rd
Other - As I've stated on another thread, the two Subarus I've owned before this car (07 WRX & 13 STI) did the same thing concerning the thud on 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th gear. Though the audible thud in those cars was louder than my GT, I never had any issues with those Scoobie transmissions. I'm not worried about the Mustang.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Model - GT
Miles - 2400
Temp - 30F to 40F
Grind - N/A
Thud - 2nd & 3rd
Other - As I've stated on another thread, the two Subarus I've owned before this car (07 WRX & 13 STI) did the same thing concerning the thud on 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th gear. Though the audible thud in those cars was louder than my GT, I never had any issues with those Scoobie transmissions. I'm not worried about the Mustang.

Sweet! Thanks for the input. Keep it coming guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Care about older MT-82s?

My 2011 MT-82 developed a banshee-like whine starting around 1,200 miles. Shifted smooth enough, just extremely loud. Had it replaced under warranty at about 10,000 miles. Was at first very stiff(was winter at the time) so I replaced the transmission fluid with BG SynchroShift II. I have 33,xxx miles on it now and it's awesome. Shifts smooth no matter the temp, no thuds or lockouts.

Mods include:
Joe Heck Racing shifter
Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket
Joe Heck Racing clutch fluid line
Clutch pedal assist spring removed

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Model - GT
Miles - 1400
Median Temperature - 70-90's Fahrenheit (SW Florida "Fall/Winter")
Grinds - None
Thuds - only really notice the thud when I put it into 1st after sitting in neutral with the clutch out (at a light, etc.). I'm convinced its just some sort of drivetrain slack just getting sync'd up when a gear is engaged. I'm not worried.

Other - I've removed my clutch pedal return spring. What a difference in feel!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Care about older MT-82s?

My 2011 MT-82 developed a banshee-like whine starting around 1,200 miles. Shifted smooth enough, just extremely loud. Had it replaced under warranty at about 10,000 miles. Was at first very stiff(was winter at the time) so I replaced the transmission fluid with BG SynchroShift II. I have 33,xxx miles on it now and it's awesome. Shifts smooth no matter the temp, no thuds or lockouts.

Mods include:
Joe Heck Racing shifter
Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket
Joe Heck Racing clutch fluid line
Clutch pedal assist spring removed

I get scared reading the horror stories from the older models. I started this to sort of keep track, as in an "official" new MT-82 tracking thread. Thanks for the feedback though, always appreciated.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I get scared reading the horror stories from the older models. I started this to sort of keep track, as in an "official" new MT-82 tracking thread. Thanks for the feedback though, always appreciated.

A simple fluid swap would have eliminated 75% of those horror stories, in my opinion.

valvedaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE #156/1964
Model- GT LE
Miles- 200
Temp- 23 to 45 deg. F.
Grinds- none
Thuds- nothing extraordinary
Other- love the redesigned reverse lockout
Other- haven't noticed any other differences from a (stock) '12 Boss MT-82

I hope the MT-82 is improved and more durable. Especially for those who will track their car. The dealer was kind enough to rebuild mine, but I now have a Tremec in my Boss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Model- GT LE
Miles- 200
Temp- 23 to 45 deg. F.
Grinds- none
Thuds- nothing extraordinary
Other- love the redesigned reverse lockout
Other- haven't noticed any other differences from a (stock) '12 Boss MT-82

I hope the MT-82 is improved and more durable. Especially for those who will track their car. The dealer was kind enough to rebuild mine, but I now have a Tremec in my Boss.

Wow! That says a lot for the dealer. Usually they will replace only for OEM or stock equipment.

valvedaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE #156/1964
I wish the dealer went that far for me! They rebuilt it and reinstalled it (the MT-82). I then took the car to my (non-dealer) mechanic and he did the driveline swap for me ($$$). Now I have the OE driveline (with fresh rebuilt MT-82) in case the next owner wants to restore the car (I track it). It has safety equipment and some other minor mods.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
A simple fluid swap would have eliminated 75% of those horror stories, in my opinion.
Grimace - what made you go with BG vs. Amsoil or another brand?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Model- GT PP
Miles- 1570
Temp- 9 to 65deg. F.
Grinds- none
Thuds- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Other- love the reverse lockout
Other- Love the stock shifter. No issues hitting the gate for each gear

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Grimace - what made you go with BG vs. Amsoil or another brand?

Simple, the dealership I work at keeps it in stock. :thumbsup:

The real reason however is that this stuff worked wonders for problem transfer cases we had a few years ago. They would chatter like a racing differential and the BG SynchroShift II fluid cured it completely. Swapping that fluid into my MT-82 was night and day difference, and I've had a few forum members buy the same fluid for their cars(a few years back).

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

I have also helped friends swap in Redline MTL with very good results.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Simple, the dealership I work at keeps it in stock. :thumbsup:

The real reason however is that this stuff worked wonders for problem transfer cases we had a few years ago. They would chatter like a racing differential and the BG SynchroShift II fluid cured it completely. Swapping that fluid into my MT-82 was night and day difference, and I've had a few forum members buy the same fluid for their cars(a few years back).

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

I have also helped friends swap in Redline MTL with very good results.
Do you think a fluid swap in our transmissions for 2015's will do any good? Will it void warranty although most likely the new fluid would be superior to the OEM fill?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Do you think a fluid swap in our transmissions for 2015's will do any good? Will it void warranty although most likely the new fluid would be superior to the OEM fill?

I've only driven one 2015 and it was warm outside so it drove perfectly fine. However going off of what people here are complaining about(mostly cold-shift effort) it sounds exactly like what people first complained about when the 2011 Mustang went on sale.

I don't claim the Ford fluid is inferior, but I feel it doesn't match well with the MT-82 and definitely not with cold weather. I don't know what fluid changes they've made with the new car, but I followed the changes to the MT-82 very closely from '11-14.
Sponsored