Hot weather windshield "POP"?

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
ive never heard any of that .. and its been 100 plus the last 3 days here ..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I tested it yesterday. I started the car, put the windows down but did not turn on the AC. I waited like 30 seconds and nothing happened. Then I put the car in gear and started to move forward, again without the AC and I heard the POP. It almost sounded like it was coming from the rear view mirror area. I stopped and examined everything but I don't see any changes or damage.
My next test is to put my dash cam in that spot and try recording it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I tested it yesterday. I started the car, put the windows down but did not turn on the AC. I waited like 30 seconds and nothing happened. Then I put the car in gear and started to move forward, again without the AC and I heard the POP. It almost sounded like it was coming from the rear view mirror area. I stopped and examined everything but I don't see any changes or damage.
Body flexing under torque?

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
I generally have one medium loud pop after engaging a/c. It has been 95-98 degrees here lately and it is like clockwork.

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Alright one more test yesterday and this time nothing. No loud POP, just little popping noise interspersed over a few minutes. I think I'm just losing my mind. :headbonk::headbonk:

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That pop could be the blend door inside the AC. My car doesn't do this and it's been 100* here lately and my car bakes in the sun all day and it's black so it gets really hot. I always have my AC on here except maybe in January sometimes lol. My wife's doesn't have this issue either.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
When I was at Circuit of the Americas for a stop on the Hot Rod Power Tour, it got so hot at the track that our windshield literally cracked from the heat. I had the windows rolled up.

I'm glad you haven't experienced that issue OP, I didn't even know it was possible, but I found out the hard way.

Nick C.

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I get it too; it's the metal trim by the vents. It does it on a hot day when I first start up and have the ac on. If you press around that trim it re-seats it and stops doing it for a while.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
This phenomena is not unique to the S550.
My wife's 1 series convertible makes the same pop also.
It seems to come from somewhere in passenger side dash area.
The car was purchased in Florida and the pop used to be so loud it would make us jump.
BMW removed and reinstalled the dash at least twice, but could never determine a cause for this sound.
They added extra foam somewhere inside the dash and that helped, but did not completely solve the problem
The pop still occurs occasionally, but it's not nearly as loud as before.
I suspect it is a heat-related expansion/contraction of the plastic dash.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This is an old thread, but my windshield pops so loud it scares the hell out of me.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On the GT350? First time I read about this issue, but seems to be on older cars. What year is yours? I only have 800+ miles on my Bullitt, but it's been over 100 since I bought it, and nothing like that. At least not yet. Ha ha. Had the squeaking dash, but it was the gauges. At least I thought so. After fixing them, heard a different squeaking noise but louder. It's the middle vents now. When I had the dash out to replace the gauge pod, they didn't make any sound. Not taking that thing off again, so will stick 2 pieces of rubber under them, and hopefully quiet them. By the way, the noise seemed to be coming from the windshield or rear-view mirror, but it was the vents. But no popping noise. I wouldn't like that. Doesn't sound normal.

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
It's loud. It's happens about 10 seconds after you sit in car - while still parked. My wifes Mercedes doesn't it also, but not to this extent. I think it was 106 here today, but it happens in the 90's as well.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's loud. It's happens about 10 seconds after you sit in car - while still parked. My wifes Mercedes doesn't it also, but not to this extent. I think it was 106 here today, but it happens in the 90's as well.
Sounds like you are heading to your dealer or a top notch glass shop.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/windshield-is-making-a-popping-noise

This is from an Infiniti forum
I had the same issue...I just sprayed some silicon on the windshield by the cowl and let it run down and soak in between the cowl and the glass. After a few minutes I wiped the spray off the windshield and I haven't had the sound since.
Sponsored