Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
If anyone of you were going to spend $30k + on a car mod, which would you choose. A Holinger RD6 sequential transmission or a 700+ NA 5.2 / 5.4L 9500 RPM engine?
Both would provide gains and enhancements. The RD6 weighs 86 pounds naked. I'm interested in the manual shift not paddle shift.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Personally think the RD6 would be the "safer" route in terms of having less stress on the engine while still providing acceleration/track benefits, but then you lose the great manual and IMO a lot of the fun involved. Probably more expensive though to get this unit swapped in correctly?

A 9000+rpm 5.2 would be incredible though! I would honestly look to even just improve and lighten the internals such that the RPM's could be raised significantly, even if the goal isn't to maximize output and go for high hp, but rather just increase the power band and have an even more responsive engine.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Personally think the RD6 would be the "safer" route in terms of having less stress on the engine while still providing acceleration/track benefits, but then you lose the great manual and IMO a lot of the fun involved. Probably more expensive though to get this unit swapped in correctly?

A 9000+rpm 5.2 would be incredible though! I would honestly look to even just improve and lighten the internals such that the RPM's could be raised significantly, even if the goal isn't to maximize output and go for high hp, but rather just increase the power band and have an even more responsive engine.
The 3160 is a good trans, but there is no comparison to the RD6. I wouldn't get the paddle shift. The trans is about $20k USD minus clutch, shifter, driveshaft, and crossmember. Complete with everything around $27k

I agree a 5.2/5.4 9000-9500 RPM NA would be great! But for everything I've researched nothing is really available. I did talk to one engine builder about a 5.4 CPC based from a 5.2 block with custom heads and induction that makes over 700+ NA HP. With a 9500 redline. This interest me ALOT.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
First question would be what is your goal with the car? You have a lot of modifications for your 350, but I haven't seen you really discuss if you plan to track it, straight line race it, garage queen it, or is it a show build? Once you decide that it should make the decision easier, or at least make it easier to give you input

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
First question would be what is your goal with the car? You have a lot of modifications for your 350, but I haven't seen you really discuss if you plan to track it, straight line race it, garage queen it, or is it a show build? Once you decide that it should make the decision easier, or at least make it easier to give you input
Track/street. I've used jerichos in past cars in both street and drag race. But with the GT350 I will never see 1/4 miles drags.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The 3160 is a good trans, but there is no comparison to the RD6. I wouldn't get the paddle shift. The trans is about $20k USD minus clutch, shifter, driveshaft, and crossmember. Complete with everything around $27k

I agree a 5.2/5.4 9000-9500 RPM NA would be great! But for everything I've researched nothing is really available. I did talk to one engine builder about a 5.4 CPC based from a 5.2 block with custom heads and induction that makes over 700+ NA HP. With a 9500 redline. This interest me ALOT.
Interesting, so the RD6 will remain a manual transmission? Or is it a sequential box with a clutch pedal only for starting off in 1st??

That sounds like one hell of an engine; did the builder comment on longevity of a motor like this though? Sounds like it would probably be a very highly strung thing for a 5.4 to spin at 9500 rpms while using a CPC. They had no interest or recommendations to retain the FPC??

A big part of why I love the car so much is the FPC V8 and the sounds it makes, I don't know if I could give that up in the pursuit of power and switch to a CPC. I'd sooner take a hit in the power output if necessary just to retain the FPC and character of the engine, unless it was a highly detrimental aspect for some reason at those engine speeds.

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Working for Toyota i had a privileged to take one of our customers (Holinger Engineering Toyota 86) cars for a drive with the box in it. I can tell you it is worth every $ words can not describe the feeling that you get, how much fun it is at full throttle with out the need of lifting the accelerator pedal and pressing the clutch all you do is just punch the stick forwards for the up shift. If only i had spare $$$$, i believe that Ford Performance mustang GT4 car has the box in it. ;)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really wouldn't do either, but if I had to choose I would pick the transmission. The odds are that with the engine mods you are talking about the longevity will be compromised. It would suck to pay $30k for a mod and then have a failure.

Having said that, my mods would probably be twin turbo with low boost rather than either of the mods you mentioned. Then the rest would be spent on track days and maintenance, spare parts, etc.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Gains would definitely be made using the Holinger RD6. Lap times would be quicker, it weighs less, can customize gear ratios, definitely more fun. The Jericho I installed in my last mustang was at that time the best trans I ever had.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, so the RD6 will remain a manual transmission? Or is it a sequential box with a clutch pedal only for starting off in 1st??

That sounds like one hell of an engine; did the builder comment on longevity of a motor like this though? Sounds like it would probably be a very highly strung thing for a 5.4 to spin at 9500 rpms while using a CPC. They had no interest or recommendations to retain the FPC??

A big part of why I love the car so much is the FPC V8 and the sounds it makes, I don't know if I could give that up in the pursuit of power and switch to a CPC. I'd sooner take a hit in the power output if necessary just to retain the FPC and character of the engine, unless it was a highly detrimental aspect for some reason at those engine speeds.
It's a sequential box with a clutch pedal for 1st gear and reverse. By manual I mean you manually use your hand to work the shifter. They also offer a paddle shifter with air cylinder. But I would rather use the "shifter"

I agree on the engine. I too love the FPC. I'm well aware that the FPC doesn't add much if any proven hp. My goal would be to build a 700 NA crank hp voodoo. But running either a CPC or a FPC 5.2/5.4 has its limits. The lower end is not the challenge. Better internals are readily available. It's the induction to fit under the stock hood I'm having problems with. I've talked to Hogan intakes last december (2015) when I trial fit the cobra jet intake because the CJ intake hits the hood and does not allow it to close by over 1". There is absolutely not enough room to drop the engine because the oil pan to K-member clearance is 1/2"-5/8" as stock. Hogan absolutely could make an intake to fit and make power gains, the million dollar question is how much gains it'll make for the $4000.00+ dollars it cost for the intake and throttle body alone. That's a lot of money for a big question. Even if the intake were magic and added 40-60hp how much gain would that really give on track times comparing to the trans. I would never add Forced Induction to the GT350, but for $4k that's 1/2 of the cost towards a blower/turbo kit and those would add a lot more then 40-60hp. But I'm a NA guy and have no interest in FI.

I think until more engine testing and parts become available the trans may be the better choice?

Sponsored

danhuberty

Dan Huberty
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 ShelbyGT350
If anyone of you were going to spend $30k + on a car mod, which would you choose. A Holinger RD6 sequential transmission or a 700+ NA 5.2 / 5.4L 9500 RPM engine?
Both would provide gains and enhancements. The RD6 weighs 86 pounds naked. I'm interested in the manual shift not paddle shift.
From my perspective there are five important mods for the GT350: suspension,long tube headers and exhaust, sequential gearbox, top notch racing pads, and weight reduction. Therefore knowing what you have done with your suspension and exhaust already I would take the RD6 hands down before adding more power. Depending on the track more power isn't necessarily going to be useful. But the RD6 will for sure have a positive impact on lap times. I've raced Formula cars with sequential gear boxes and loved them. It really helps having a sequential gearbox when you are in the brake zone because you can left foot brake while using the right foot to dial in a little throttle over steer if needed. Needless to say I am a huge supporter of Ford putting a DTC tranny in the GT350, and when they do I'll be trading my current one in.

Go for the RD6, who won't be sorry if you are spending a lot of time a the track. :thumbsup:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Thinking out loud here, what are you going to use to defeat the current software for temps?

Will the new trans have housing for the sensors etc?

I would go with the engine myself. Just a set of titanium rods with 12.5:1 will probably net you 30-40 hp and torque and allow 9000rpm if the intake can manage.

Why not build a custom hood with a carbon fibre or plexiglass cowl to showcase the SCJ manifold? It looks badass on top of the V.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
As always, I'd take the tranny LOL

Since your intentions for the car are track and street, I think a 700hp motor would be more fun on the street while the tranny would be more fun on track.

Either way you go, post some pics so we can see your car.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Do you currently race your GT350, or have you raced on road courses in the past? Seems crazy to spend $30K on a car if you aren't racing at 10/10's in it now. Just curious.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
It's a sequential box with a clutch pedal for 1st gear and reverse. By manual I mean you manually use your hand to work the shifter. They also offer a paddle shifter with air cylinder. But I would rather use the "shifter"

I agree on the engine. I too love the FPC. I'm well aware that the FPC doesn't add much if any proven hp. My goal would be to build a 700 NA crank hp voodoo. But running either a CPC or a FPC 5.2/5.4 has its limits. The lower end is not the challenge. Better internals are readily available. It's the induction to fit under the stock hood I'm having problems with. I've talked to Hogan intakes last december (2015) when I trial fit the cobra jet intake because the CJ intake hits the hood and does not allow it to close by over 1". There is absolutely not enough room to drop the engine because the oil pan to K-member clearance is 1/2"-5/8" as stock. Hogan absolutely could make an intake to fit and make power gains, the million dollar question is how much gains it'll make for the $4000.00+ dollars it cost for the intake and throttle body alone. That's a lot of money for a big question. Even if the intake were magic and added 40-60hp how much gain would that really give on track times comparing to the trans. I would never add Forced Induction to the GT350, but for $4k that's 1/2 of the cost towards a blower/turbo kit and those would add a lot more then 40-60hp. But I'm a NA guy and have no interest in FI.

I think until more engine testing and parts become available the trans may be the better choice?
I'm thinking the trans would probably be more sensible at this point given the uncertainties surrounding the durability of the motor combined with high power at this point. Definitely would make a big difference to track times, and with the added bonus of taking some work away from the driver, results in less stress which results in more confidence and quicker lap times.

I wonder if Darkane might not have a point considering a custom hood for the car or if you would be interested in the idea? Would allow the SCJ unit and throttle body, and with some mild internals work it might give you a 9000+rpm motor that could make 625-650hp potentially.

Either way, the RD6 isn't going to have any detrimental affect on the car, whereas a higher hp/higher revving motor will put more stress on the rest of the drivetrain as well. RD6 now, 9000+rpms down the road :thumbsup:
Sponsored