Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have 350 miles on my 350 now, and decided to take her out and open her up. Engine was fully warmed up, in Sport mode, but noticed I'd hit a hard limit (throttle cut out) at just 8k rpm in both first and second gear. Couldn't try third or higher due to speed. Tried this a few times but each time it just stopped at 8k. I'll have to setup my Torque app, is it possible my tachometer is off a bit?
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I have 350 miles on my 350 now, and decided to take her out and open her up. Engine was fully warmed up, in Sport mode, but noticed I'd hit a hard limit (throttle cut out) at just 8k rpm in both first and second gear. Couldn't try third or higher due to speed. Tried this a few times but each time it just stopped at 8k. I'll have to setup my Torque app, is it possible my tachometer is off a bit?
Its almost certainly 100% likely that your idea of "fully warmed up" isn't in fact fully warmed up. The engine limits redline to 8K when under a certain oil temperature. Check your manual, it has the temperature stated there.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Its almost certainly 100% likely that your idea of "fully warmed up" isn't in fact fully warmed up. The engine limits redline to 8K when under a certain oil temperature. Check your manual, it has the temperature stated there.
I was driving for about 20 minutes before trying and cylinder head temps were at 205 degrees. Don't remember what oil temp was, but sounds about as warmed up as she can get.

Nice color combo btw!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I was driving for about 20 minutes before trying and cylinder head temps were at 205 degrees. Don't remember what oil temp was, but sounds about as warmed up as she can get.

Nice color combo btw!
Thanks man! But cylinder head temps are not what determines the lower redline, as they will get up to temperature far quicker than the engine oil. Once the engine oil itself reaches 190 degrees F or 88 degrees C then it will allow those extra 250 rpms.

Personally I think it should have a moving redline according to the engine oil like the Corvettes and shouldn't be able to go above 4500 upon startup.

So check your engine oil temps, most likely you were very close to operating temp but not quite there after 20 mins, especially if it was cooler outside.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Okay awesome, thanks for the info. Don't think I could have damaged anything not fully up to temp do you? There weren't any burning smells when I got home, which I was expecting some since she's still breaking in.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Okay awesome, thanks for the info. Don't think I could have damaged anything not fully up to temp do you? There weren't any burning smells when I got home, which I was expecting some since she's still breaking in.
Highly unlikely if you were already driving for 20 mins or so and it wasnt too cold out. Your oil temps were probably just under or pretty near the "operating temp" that allows the full 8250, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. For the first 1200 miles I only ran it to redline a couple of times, the rest of the time I tried to vary the rpms as much as I could.

I haven't smelt anything with mine either, and you likely won't on the street. Just aren't able to push the cars hard enough on backroads to really get things overheating or wearing.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thanks man! But cylinder head temps are not what determines the lower redline, as they will get up to temperature far quicker than the engine oil. Once the engine oil itself reaches 190 degrees F or 88 degrees C then it will allow those extra 250 rpms.

Personally I think it should have a moving redline according to the engine oil like the Corvettes and shouldn't be able to go above 4500 upon startup.

So check your engine oil temps, most likely you were very close to operating temp but not quite there after 20 mins, especially if it was cooler outside.
The Corvette does not stop you from reving over 4500 when the engine is cold or under 500 miles. It only shows a different red line. You can still rev it to 6700 RPM when cold with 50 miles on it. The redline on the tach moves once over 500 miles but that's it.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I set my HUD to flash red at 8000 RPM and never hit the limiter, yet :)

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know you could do that... Haven't played around with a lot of stuff yet
It helps. Until I get used to the sound of hitting 8k, it is a great visual warning you simply can't miss. I always like to keep my eyes on the road and not the tach:cheers:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Ive gotten her up to 8k a few times I mean I let her sit and warm up for a good 20 minutes before I move her out of the driveway just to ensure shes optimal, then about 10 minutes of easy driving around town before I let her rip.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Ive gotten her up to 8k a few times I mean I let her sit and warm up for a good 20 minutes before I move her out of the driveway just to ensure shes optimal, then about 10 minutes of easy driving around town before I let her rip.
Not to thread jack, just throwing out some info. I'm glad someone else told me about this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/

I used to idle for awhile on cold starts before driving. I've stopped doing it after reading this and other discussions about the topic.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Not to thread jack, just throwing out some info. I'm glad someone else told me about this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/

I used to idle for awhile on cold starts before driving. I've stopped doing it after reading this and other discussions about the topic.
I stand corrected then, thank you for that.

Ya my first car was a 1987 Toyota Extended cab Extended bed with a 4 banger Carb motor lol.

Plus all my buddies had Turbo cars so we all would literally start them and sit and wait.

This just sounds like I can enjoy her sooner everytime I start her up now haha. :headbang:
Sponsored