Sponsored

Have you done anything requiring timing chain removal??

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
I am in the middle of swapping out my oil pump gears for the billet variety on my 15/16 crate engine, and I have an issue that has me confused --

I am trying to line up the timing marks on the cam gears, crank gear, and the links on the chain before I remove the chains, but they won't line up. I can get the marks on the chain/gears on the passenger side bank to line up, but not the driver's. When everything is lined up on the pass. side, the driver's side links are in the middle of the chain between the two gears. On a Livernois write-up I read, they said they lined up all the marks before removal, and showed pics.

That said, I can make my own marks on one chain, its not a big deal -- but should I be concerned that these aren't line up from the factory, as in one or more of the cams may be incorrectly timed?

At the factory, would the chain be put on by a robot, or a person?

In the pic you can see where the blue links are -- on the pass. bank they are lined up with the marks on the gears. I have turned the engine over enough times.
Timing.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roki187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally
Vehicle(s)
15gt pp, 2jz s14, 7.5 Gti and a Ls430
Last edited:

sonofoldcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT premium manual 50th trim package
From what I read on the motor in the car you take off passenger side then turn crank so it lines of on driver. So it's a two step process.

OP
OP
SStormtrooPer

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
This should help.....

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53162

Scroll down to the colored version. Also make sure you follow word for word!!! Otherwise you'll end up doing it twice like me. Pm if you have any questions

Awesome, thanks!

What I gather from this is the blue links are there for putting it back together only -- they won't necessarily line up from the factory before disassembly.

Roki187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thanks!

What I gather from this is the blue links are there for putting it back together only -- they won't necessarily line up from the factory before disassembly.
I followed the disassembly directions. Line up the R on the pass side to face up (crank keyway also facing up), remove the tensioner and guides. Move crank (keyway) to 5 o'clock position and disassemble the drivers side. Take your time cleaning everything up.

Remember to rotate one full revolution as per instructions, upon assembly on drivers side. I didn't and timing was off. Once done with both sides I suggest rotating and lining up the marks to make sure all is good. It will take some time rotating the motor but it will give you a piece of mind knowing everything is done right. Follow the colored instructions step by step. You'll be all good. If you have any Qs ask away.

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Change your timing sprocket also. Those are also prone to failure.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Dropping it into the LX in your avatar?

Roki187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
SStormtrooPer

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Dropping it into the LX in your avatar?
Was wondering the same thing. Looks noiiiiice!!!!!

Yep, that is where it is going :)

Hope to have the motor in there and ready for tuning by the end of this month, and then running the first week in August.
IMG_2129.JPG
Sponsored