Sponsored

Has anyone installed a 6 point harness yet?

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SP MKIII Cobra Roush 427SR, 2013 F250 FX4
I have a roll bar installed so the shoulder belts are not a problem. My question is the attachment points for the lap belt and anti-submarine belts.

I read a previous thread about running the anti-submarine belt through the fold of the seat and attach to clips behind the seat. I tried this by fabricating a couple of clips and bolting them down with the 2 back bolts that connect the seat to the floor. The problem was that when I slide the seat forward for a comfortable driving position the anti-submarine belt is not long enough. Plus I was told this was not a very safe way to attach.

After talking with a few people the suggestion was to attach both the lap and anti-submarine belts to the same point on each side of the seat. I have the Sparco Harness and the eye bolts to attach the belts along with the backup plate to attach under the car if necessary.

My question is has anyone drilled a hole through the floor on both sides of the seat at mid-point and put in these eye bolts? From looking at this real close there does not seem to be a lot of room between the outside of the seat track and the door sills and the inside of the seat track and the console.

I have removed the passenger seat and the OEM belt attachment and I see there maybe an option to use the OEM belt connection point for the inside belts but it looks like the belt attachments will rub pretty good on the side of the console sliding the seat back and forth.
Sponsored

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hi Cobra Guy. Can you provide more information on your roll bar? Maker, did you install yourself, etc. Maybe post a few pictures.
I'm taking this project on this Spring for my GT350 and trying to gather info. Thanks!
:cheers:

OP
OP
Cobra Guy

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 B8 thanks for the info. I plan on tackling it this weekend.

RoadRacer, I went with the 4 point Watson Racing Roll Bar and I installed it myself. The install was pretty straight forward. If you contact Watson they probably can send you a copy of the installation instructions or PM me with your email address and I will forward a copy to you. I have not posted pics before so I will need to read up on that.

Cooltech has a roll bar out or about to come out as well.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
C7 B8 thanks for the info. I plan on tackling it this weekend.

RoadRacer, I went with the 4 point Watson Racing Roll Bar and I installed it myself. The install was pretty straight forward. If you contact Watson they probably can send you a copy of the installation instructions or PM me with your email address and I will forward a copy to you. I have not posted pics before so I will need to read up on that.

Cooltech has a roll bar out or about to come out as well.
Are you planning to install fixed back seats? Good call on Watson. If I go roll bar route, I'd get Watson 4-pt as well. Are you running their RSD?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Guy

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Ford OEM GT350R RSD.

I am not sure I understand you question about fixed back seats. I am considering replacing the Recaro seats with non-folding racing seats at some point. This would resolve any issue I have with harness install.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Ford OEM GT350R RSD.

I am not sure I understand you question about fixed back seats. I am considering replacing the Recaro seats with non-folding racing seats at some point. This would resolve any issue I have with harness install.
With roll bar installed, its strongly recommended to pair with non-folding racing seats (aka fixed back seats) for safety reasons. Mounting points is another matter entirely.

OP
OP
Cobra Guy

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I finished installing my 6 point Sparco harness today. The route I took was to attach both lap and anti-submarine belts to the same point. I mounted one eye bolt that comes with the harness on each side of the seat with a back up plate under the car.

First of all let me say if you are going to install a 6 point harness I think the best option is to install a race seat with the hole in the seat for the anti-submarine belt. Connecting the shoulder belts to the roll bar works great. Attaching the lap belts to the eye bolt on either side of the seat works great. The problem is the anti-submarine belt.

With this setup the anti-submarine is laid across the seat, you sit on it, and then pull it up between your legs. The problem is the farther you pull the seat forward the more uncomfortable this set up is and the lower the anti-submarine belt rides. This belt position makes you spread you legs wider than a normal comfortable position. If your seat position in mid or back it is not nearly as bad. So for you 6' guy this may not be a problem. I am 5'-10"

The area to place the eye bolt connection on the inside of the seat between the console is pretty limited. There is not much room between the console and the seat bracket, especially attaching two belts and one location. You need to remove the seat and study the area between the front and rear attachment holes. In my installation this point was 6-1/2" forward of the rear seat mount hole.

I will say after a length test drive today I found a sweet spot. The seat was not quite as far forward as I would like but it worked ok. I will try to post some pictures that may shed a better light on this install. I have not posted pics before so I hope it goes well.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra Guy, pics please specifically attachment points for sub and lap belts. And also routing of the sub belts. Thanks!
Sponsored