Had to Have It Towed :(

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Very strange experience today. I was running errands and drove 19 miles to one store (with another stop along the way). The engine ran normally.

I was in the store for less than 10 minutes and when I came out, no start! It cranked over. I tried again, and it sputtered to life shaking with a warning "Coolant Overtemperature" but the needle was in the normal zone. So I shut it off and examined under the hood - coolant tank is full! No leaks. But there was a gasoline smell.

Well, I waited and tried again, eventually starting it and it ran kind of rough, with the engine service symbol lit. I decided I had no choice but to call roadside for a flatbed. I had to wait 2 hours. During that time, I put the dash into ET mode and scrolled to the DTC list. There's a history code called C40100. Any ideas what this might be?

Well, when the tow guy arrived it started right up, running a little rough still and with the light on. When we got to the dealer, it started right up like nothing ever happened!!! No engine service symbol either!

I left it at the dealer overnight. I'm afraid of them telling me there's nothing wrong. I definitely did not feel safe driving it and it took an hour to start it.

I was thinking it had something to do with the temperature, since by the time the tow guy got there it was cooled down. But I don't know about that code.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The only definition of that code you referenced that I was able to find online:

"Invalid data from PCM to distance warning system module; see IDS"

I'm not sure how accurate the definition is or if it's applicable to a Mustang.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I was thinking possibly bad thermostat also, maybe sticking closed when it got hot - but when I did start it my cylinder head temperature gauge was still normal, around 195-200.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Very strange experience today. I was running errands and drove 19 miles to one store (with another stop along the way). The engine ran normally.

I was in the store for less than 10 minutes and when I came out, no start! It cranked over. I tried again, and it sputtered to life shaking with a warning "Coolant Overtemperature" but the needle was in the normal zone. So I shut it off and examined under the hood - coolant tank is full! No leaks. But there was a gasoline smell.

Well, I waited and tried again, eventually starting it and it ran kind of rough, with the engine service symbol lit. I decided I had no choice but to call roadside for a flatbed. I had to wait 2 hours. During that time, I put the dash into ET mode and scrolled to the DTC list. There's a history code called C40100. Any ideas what this might be?

Well, when the tow guy arrived it started right up, running a little rough still and with the light on. When we got to the dealer, it started right up like nothing ever happened!!! No engine service symbol either!

I left it at the dealer overnight. I'm afraid of them telling me there's nothing wrong. I definitely did not feel safe driving it and it took an hour to start it.

I was thinking it had something to do with the temperature, since by the time the tow guy got there it was cooled down. But I don't know about that code.
Hey 15Pony,

Let’s get this concern escalated for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Well, they did find a fault with one of the temp. sensors - the one in the cylinder head. It showed a temperature of -40 so the computer killed the spark. The gas smell was from the fuel pump dumping fuel in with no spark, and when it did fire up it was flooded so that's what made it die. The sensor fault was apparently intermittent. At least that's how they explained it.

The bad part is, they are looking at a couple days to get a sensor so it looks like I get a rental car. Hopefully a good one. One would think that they'd have sensors on hand though, unless this is a real rare part to replace.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Does the V6 have both a CHT and coolant temp sensor? I've read online that it doesn't. So how does that sensor figure out what the temperature of the liquid coolant is? The CHT just measures the temp of the metal block?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just wondering what the outcome of this issue was - since it was a C40100??

Thanks

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just wondering what the outcome of this issue was - since it was a C40100??

Thanks
Need to read before replying.
Well, they did find a fault with one of the temp. sensors - the one in the cylinder head. It showed a temperature of -40 so the computer killed the spark. The gas smell was from the fuel pump dumping fuel in with no spark, and when it did fire up it was flooded so that's what made it die. The sensor fault was apparently intermittent. At least that's how they explained it.

The bad part is, they are looking at a couple days to get a sensor so it looks like I get a rental car. Hopefully a good one. One would think that they'd have sensors on hand though, unless this is a real rare part to replace.