SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I know this thread is a little old, but I believe my question is relevant to this discussion. I'm currently running a Solo Performance 3" exhaust (Mach XV) with long tube headers and their muffler system keeps failing after only a few months. The internal metal baffling loosens up and it starts rattling like a shopping cart on a rough parking lot, then the casing starts to crack at the seams. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th warrantied muffler now. Needless to say, I do NOT want to put another one on the car. Their muffler is an X-pipe mid-muffler design.

I found a local exhaust shop that recommended just installing two bullet style mufflers in place of theirs and be done. My concern is this would remove the X crossover and basically make it a mufflered straight pipe system. What are the downsides to this? Is it important to have a crossover in the exhaust flow for any specific reason?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I know this thread is a little old, but I believe my question is relevant to this discussion. I'm currently running a Solo Performance 3" exhaust (Mach XV) with long tube headers and their muffler system keeps failing after only a few months. The internal metal baffling loosens up and it starts rattling like a shopping cart on a rough parking lot, then the casing starts to crack at the seams. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th warrantied muffler now. Needless to say, I do NOT want to put another one on the car. Their muffler is an X-pipe mid-muffler design.

I found a local exhaust shop that recommended just installing two bullet style mufflers in place of theirs and be done. My concern is this would remove the X crossover and basically make it a mufflered straight pipe system. What are the downsides to this? Is it important to have a crossover in the exhaust flow for any specific reason?
Crossovers change the exhaust sound on a V style motor vs true duals without a crossover.
It’s all personal preference. For me personally, I prefer the sound of a V-8 with a crossover.
There’s really not much of a performance gain or loss with or without.
Sponsored