OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I honestly don't think many people wanting a mustang are cross shopping it with a Miata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, probably not. But at least I'm not comparing it to a Camry or something stupid like that. Both cars are insanely fun, but just in their own different ways. That's really the only way they compare.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Why would I ever talk someone out of a Miata, especially a new one.

If your a Mustang enthusiast, that likely isn't going to change after you purchase a different car.

Another thing, the S550 will continue to evolve. WHo knows where it will be at in 2018 and beyond. I have always considered the tail end of a Generation the "Enthusiast Era" anyway. We are in the "Volume Era" now and it already looks good.

Choices, choices... Rejoices for our choices...

You are stuck between two affordable performance vehicles... Like being between two very attainable Bikini models.
I think everything you just said is true... Especially the models part.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I totally understand the pull of the new Miata. You're looking at at over a 1500 pound weight delta between it and a GT. Obviously two totally different cars. Don't listen to the mouth breathers on here that call it a girls car, if it's what you're in to the go for it. I'd love to pick a used one up in a few years throw in a cage, some coilovers and some race rubber and go track it...something like this maybe :headbang::cheers:

I would love that cup car...

Honestly I don't care about the mouth-breathers. I honestly assume that most of them haven't driven one, and therefore don't get it.

Believe me, I'll be up at VIR the first chance I get with it.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I watched it a second time and I did start to think the same. Are you going to replace all of the faulty parts? Also you should get that seat reupholstered.
Eh, IDK. Starter and alternator are $30 each so it wouldn't exactly be breaking the bank. My dad is going to reupholster the seat, and I'm going to get a new carpet and headliner. Wiring has to be done anyways, the previous owner pretty much ruined that. First I have to get new wheels and tires, but more importantly I need to rebuild the steering column. Brakes are all new: master cylinder, slave cylinders, lines, pads, ect. I need to do a complete fluid change front to back as well, except for the coolant, which looked remarkably fresh. New body mount and floor pan were just welded in.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
I totally understand the pull of the new Miata. You're looking at at over a 1500 pound weight delta between it and a GT. Obviously two totally different cars. Don't listen to the mouth breathers on here that call it a girls car, if it's what you're in to the go for it. I'd love to pick a used one up in a few years throw in a cage, some coilovers and some race rubber and go track it...something like this maybe :headbang::cheers:
+1 LOL

The delusional prejudice runs both ways, people! Just about everyone I know thinks that only mullet-wearing rednecks drive Mustangs.

And we know how accurate that is, right????

A Camaro with a Mustang front clip? Redneck nirvana! Perfect place for a headbang...:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Originally Posted by Tcnarber
Lets see: Mustang: Icon of American Motor lore
Miata:Best surviving iteration of the classic British roadster.

Couldn't have fixed it better myself. :lol:

Thed - it seems that the nay-sayers here can't imagine what they haven't experienced (some aren't even trying). That it really can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than to have to drive a fast car slow. Sometimes, less is more. Yes, the Mustang's cornering and handling numbers can be improved, but even after you do all that it still won't feel the same to drive as a car weighing maybe 2/3 as much. Let's just say that the Mustang's handling will always feel more "deliberate".

You're not asking anybody else to choose for themselves between a Mustang and a Miata with any preferences that you might have, so all the comments here about crash performance and associations with female owners are neither relevant nor helpful.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The battery isn't too old, but the wiring and the starter are. I bought the truck after it sat for 17 years, so yeah. Plus it never runs enough to get the battery charged back up.

Stupid ancient alternator.
You should swap in a 3G alternator from a 90s Ford. I put one in my 70 Mustang convertible and it's really great. The dash lights and headlights are a lot brighter and don't dim when you're sitting at a stop light. PA performance has wiring kits that make the conversion really easy. You could buy the alternator from a pick a part junkyard or just go to a parts store, depending on your budget. You can look up the cars that have the right size alternator online. I think I spent $25 for my 3G 130 amp alternator 10+ years ago. I don't drive the car enough to wear it out anytime soon. I put one on my 87 Mustang as well. I hate those old 65 amp units.

Edit: oh and put in a starter from a mid 90s SBF as well. They have the nice gear reduction so they spin the engine faster. Makes the engine kick-off a lot quicker. Well worth it IMO. I put those in my older SBFs also.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I can't believe this thread was actually started.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
You should swap in a 3G alternator from a 90s Ford. I put one in my 70 Mustang convertible and it's really great. The dash lights and headlights are a lot brighter and don't dim when you're sitting at a stop light. PA performance has wiring kits that make the conversion really easy. You could buy the alternator from a pick a part junkyard or just go to a parts store, depending on your budget. You can look up the cars that have the right size alternator online. I think I spent $25 for my 3G 130 amp alternator 10+ years ago. I don't drive the car enough to wear it out anytime soon. I put one on my 87 Mustang as well. I hate those old 65 amp units.

Edit: oh and put in a starter from a mid 90s SBF as well. They have the nice gear reduction so they spin the engine faster. Makes the engine kick-off a lot quicker. Well worth it IMO. I put those in my older SBFs also.
Thanks for the tips, any recommendation on brands or specific parts or just slap whatever fits in there?

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
Eh, IDK. Starter and alternator are $30 each so it wouldn't exactly be breaking the bank. My dad is going to reupholster the seat, and I'm going to get a new carpet and headliner. Wiring has to be done anyways, the previous owner pretty much ruined that. First I have to get new wheels and tires, but more importantly I need to rebuild the steering column. Brakes are all new: master cylinder, slave cylinders, lines, pads, ect. I need to do a complete fluid change front to back as well, except for the coolant, which looked remarkably fresh. New body mount and floor pan were just welded in.
Eh... Thats not too much....:frusty:

Sponsored

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Sorry guys, but the S550 couldn't hold a candle to the Miata. The Mazda is just so much more fun to drive.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Looks good. Too small for me and no V8 but if you like it that's all that matters. Good luck!