stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
When I saw the title of this thread , I was thinking it was about an upcoming all wheel drive GT350R. I was all for an AWD GT350R. Then I realized I was sucked into a thread about the look of the GT350R.

Lol - sorry about that - pretty funny, though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
We uncovered the reason behind it and I learned something. Maybe I was the only one who didn't know this but making a reasonable observation and starting a civil conversation is called complaining, I guess.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
One was delivered to my dealer last week, the psi required removing spacers from the springs that were installed for loading and unload on the hauler. Still sat a little high after sitting for a day though maybe it will settle more with some driving
Thanks for the info! Didn't know that at all and it explains what I've seen. The one in this pic looks fine to me. There's naturally a slightly larger gap on the R due to the shorter tires - which I'm fine with but a couple of the ones I had seen were alarmingly large.

Bagman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange
I think the car looks fantastic. Not everyone wants a low rider. Lowered cars often look really juvenile and downright stupid. The designers hit it out of the park with the curb appeal on this one as most will agree.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've never lowered a "modern" car for a few reasons.
1. Handling is important to me and often lowering kits (especially aftermarket) mess up the car's geometry.
2. Ford sets the height of cars so they don't scrape on every irregularity in the road. I have my '70 slightly too low and it gets annoying even in a car I don't drive every day.
3. It snows here in the winter and a little ground clearance helps to get through.
4. I like having a comfortable ride. The lower the car is the stiffer the springs have to be in order to prevent hitting the bump stops all the time.

Not that I would say there's anything wrong with someone lowering a car if that's what they want. For certain people lowering the car and putting stiffer springs on it will improve the car for their use.

Bagman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange
I've never lowered a "modern" car for a few reasons.
1. Handling is important to me and often lowering kits (especially aftermarket) mess up the car's geometry.
2. Ford sets the height of cars so they don't scrape on every irregularity in the road. I have my '70 slightly too low and it gets annoying even in a car I don't drive every day.
3. It snows here in the winter and a little ground clearance helps to get through.
4. I like having a comfortable ride. The lower the car is the stiffer the springs have to be in order to prevent hitting the bump stops all the time.

Not that I would say there's anything wrong with someone lowering a car if that's what they want. For certain people lowering the car and putting stiffer springs on it will improve the car for their use.
Thee are other times when the lowered cars look retarded.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My first though too was some sort of aftermarket 4WD conversion . . . that it was only a minor gripe over "fender gap" was a relief for sure.

I'll add the following to what Hack just listed

5. Over-lowering un-centers the wheel and tire in the generally round wheelwell opening once you look at more than just the gap at the top of the tire. Making the top look better comes at the expense of making the gaps at the lower edges of the fender opening look worse.

6. Tires that probably do not 'tuck' under all possible driving conditions need to have more gap. The reason should be obvious enough . . . but just in case it's not I have an only slightly exaggerated example. Anybody wonder what 1.5" lowering + a 2" bump might do?

Norm

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm sure there's a reason why there is so much "wheel gap", especially on a track car like that. Perhaps it's the size of the front tire as well? Those front tires are huge as well as the rear tires. Maybe that space is needed to clear turning radius?

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Maybe some people have different opinions. Maybe it's fine if some want to lower it. Maybe it's fine if some don't. Maybe it's fine if some people want to strip it out and turn it into a drag car. Maybe it's fine if some people park it in a climate controlled garage, unload the suspension, let the air out of the tires and shrink wrap the wheels and tires, and put a bubble around it. Just spit balling here, but just maybe other people think differently than some of you. Doesn't mean either is wrong or retarded.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So guys - this thread was mainly asking why some of them seem different than others. I think we have a solid answer - there are spacers installed for shipping and until the dealer removes them (from the R model), they will appear unnaturally high.

kd4gij

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 mustang gt vista blue
Don't worry it won't be long before some one puts a lift kit and 30" wheels on a gt 350.
Sponsored

Last edited: