Sponsored

GT350 VS Audi RS5

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Just curious if anyone has considered the RS5 as an alternative to the GT350.

I hadn't until I saw a review on C&D's website.

I priced out a GT350 with yellow paint and the track pack, as well as with stripes and the black roof, and it was ~60,000. The RS5 is about $71,000.

Both have excellent, high revving, naturally aspirated V8 engines.

The Audi will have a better interior especially since I'd get the GT350 with the track pack, which uses the base interior, which isn't bad, just a little old-school with all the buttons (but I'm actually coming around to preferring those, even if the layout is a bit dated).

In any case, I do think the two are very different in terms of overall feel. The GT350 strikes me as a much more raw machine, while the RS5 seems much more refined and reserved. Still, the engines at least make them interesting to compare.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I strongly prefer the GT350, since the interior is "good enough" for me, and I appreciate the rawness of the overall package.

-T
Sponsored

5.0_newguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I see an RS5 at least every other day and I can't imagine I will be seeing too many gt350's! for me just being unique and having a car that just a handfull of other people have is the selling point

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
I see an RS5 at least every other day and I can't imagine I will be seeing too many gt350's! for me just being unique and having a car that just a handfull of other people have is the selling point
Only 1500 RS5 in 2-3 yrs of production were brought to the states. GT350 will be far more common.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Looks like it weighs 4000 lbs and only has 317lb ft of torque. Down 79hp, too.

Audi's are nice cars.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Flip a coin. You can't go wrong either way. That said, the GT350 will dominate in any performance category. Any objective (performance) category will go to the GT350.

Sponsored

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
I have driven in one. While nice cars, a PP GT will hang with one unless the Audi uses launch control. Very nice interior and the DCT is awesome. The exhaust lets out a brap on every up shift. Very well built and solid as well. 8500rpm redline but only 4.2 liters so not much torque. Short gearing of the 7speed makes up for it to some extent.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
rs5 has been no.1 in every single comparsion tests since it came out of the factory

no.1 from the bottom that is, sometimes you wonder why audi even bother making such an epic fail car.

as with most audis, engine is in front of the front axle, massive, massive understeer no good.

i wouldn't even pay 40k for that.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a lukewarm offering. Every review and comparison test sounds like typical Audi-fare: nice interior, covers ground quickly and efficiently, but lacks the adjustability and emotional dynamics of its competitors. I'd take an E92 M3 or a used 507 C63 over it any day of the week.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your neighbor must have one then...They are very rare.

I guess the comparison between the 2 comes down to your priorities. I would take the 350 because I value performance over comfort. If you want a great looking, good performing luxury car then the RS5 is better.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
sorry but these 2 cars are not in the same class.

The audi is in a rare class of ultimate style and interior quality + go fast bits. Very easy to track this car and still be a DD.

The GT350 has the go fast bits, but in a less refined package. The GT350 i fear will not hold up well as a DD. And i dont think ford intended it to.

If money was not an option, I would take the audi every day, and twice on Sundays. Sorry, as much as a love my mustang, Audi is just better than ford, but in a different more expensive way if that makes sense.

But I would compare the RS7 to the GT350 more than the RS5

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree, two very different classes. The AWD alone doesnt really make them comparable and if anything it should be a tech pack GT350 vs the audi.

I would go with a used E92 or even deal with the terrible sounding engine in the new M3/M4 before I bought a sluggish RS5 (although I would argue they are probably the best looking of the bunch).

The 70k MSRP is also deceptive..add any package at all, destination, and tax and you are closer to 80k OTD. My GT350 orderform came out to 60k OTD with the track pack. 20K is a huge delta in cost. For 80k total you could get a S550 GTPP and a used E92 . The cayman GTS/GT4 almost come into play as well if you are looking for refinement+track capability.

But the shining star of the GT350 is that motor, which none of the above have.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
sorry but these 2 cars are not in the same class.

The audi is in a rare class of ultimate style and interior quality + go fast bits. Very easy to track this car and still be a DD.

The GT350 has the go fast bits, but in a less refined package. The GT350 i fear will not hold up well as a DD. And i dont think ford intended it to.

If money was not an option, I would take the audi every day, and twice on Sundays. Sorry, as much as a love my mustang, Audi is just better than ford, but in a different more expensive way if that makes sense.

But I would compare the RS7 to the GT350 more than the RS5
What? The RS7 is a longer wheelbase liftback hatch based on a sedan platform with "go fast bits." It's even further away from the S550 chassis than the B8 RS5 already is.

If someone offered me the choice between an RS7 or GT350--money being no object--I'd take the GT350 any day of the week. It comes down to preference. If you like that additional refinement (and I would expect that most people do), the RS5 would make perfect sense. I just see it as another form of insulation from the driving experience. More weight, less noise, less visceral, less fun.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ditto. I would only think its better in one way, and that is daily driving comfort. Performance, reliability, resale, etc will go to the GT350.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Didn't they tested the GTPP against a m4 and RS5 in Germany? If a GTPP can dominate an RS5, then why even do this comparison? I might be wrong though, if anyone remembers that comparison, please step in!
Sponsored