Sponsored

GT350 Intake with Stock Throttle Body?

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
So I bought this setup used and have both the adapter for a stock throttle body and the actual 350 throttle body, aside from the guy I actually bought this from, has anyone else done any real world testing to show what gains, if any, are had from going with the larger gt350 throttle body?

The seller of the kit found a negligible difference but had some surging and idling problems with the gt350 that almost made it not worth while.

Based on the average whp most guys are making on this setup, seems like the stock throttle body might be enough?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought this setup used and have both the adapter for a stock throttle body and the actual 350 throttle body, aside from the guy I actually bought this from, has anyone else done any real world testing to show what gains, if any, are had from going with the larger gt350 throttle body?

The seller of the kit found a negligible difference but had some surging and idling problems with the gt350 that almost made it not worth while.

Based on the average whp most guys are making on this setup, seems like the stock throttle body might be enough?
I actually had a tuner suggest using the stock throttle body due to the surging issues. Don't recall which tuner it was.

Though, if it lost 5rwhp but had no surging, would that be worth it for you? I'm more curious if folks have considered porting the stock throttle body and mating it to a GT350 IM. Wondering if that is worth it or not.

OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I assume the surging comes from lack of throttle body data for the tune, which I am hoping I wont face an issue as I have stock GT350 tunes saved down that I can use. Porting a stock throttle body would result in the same issue, no hard data for the surface area and flow rate once its ported.

5whp versus no surging is 100% worth it in my opinion.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
GT350 TB maybe gets you like 3-4 horsepower and is harder to tune (different electronics; it's actually a GM part). You can attach the hose from the GT350 CAI by just tightening down the clamp a lot more than you might normally on the GT350 TB. I know this because I've done it myself on my car. I did later get some high-temp hose or piping (whatever the reinforced stuff you connect like boost pipes with is called) sized to the stock TB and fit it around the connection point, then place the GT350 tube over that for needless piece of mind but... made no difference.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I don't have surging issues. The throttle is just more sensitive.

Sponsored

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have the GT350 TB and I think its worth it, even if its only a couple hp. My tuner has it nailed down. Only thing I noticed is a touch of rev hang but no surging, that's worth 5whp to me.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I am more interested in the increase in throttle response than in a few HP. How noticeable is it?

OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Throttle response shouldn't be part of the equation, that is 100% in the tune, you can make a stock throttle body extremely responsive in a matter of a few minutes of changes. When you swap to a larger throttle body but don't nail down the tune correctly, the result can be an overly touchy throttle response, to me a good tune should feel close to stock.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Throttle response shouldn't be part of the equation, that is 100% in the tune, you can make a stock throttle body extremely responsive in a matter of a few minutes of changes. When you swap to a larger throttle body but don't nail down the tune correctly, the result can be an overly touchy throttle response, to me a good tune should feel close to stock.
EGG ZACK TLY

Sponsored

ldx777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP

I actually had a tuner suggest using the stock throttle body due to the surging issues. Don't recall which tuner it was.

Though, if it lost 5rwhp but had no surging, would that be worth it for you? I'm more curious if folks have considered porting the stock throttle body and mating it to a GT350 IM. Wondering if that is worth it or not.
Did you manage to find an adapter that goes from the gt350 manifold to the gt throttle body?

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1