Sponsored

GT vs M4 for DD Duty

TTony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 M5
If considering the M3/M4, what about the ATS-V? It's cheaper and there are huge discounts available. I think leases can be had for under $600 month if I remember correctly.
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
I currently have both cars.

Switching between both throughout the week, the M4 is hands down the better daily driver . That's comparing both stock to stock and both lowered.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
SoCal, how so? Mow comfort? Smoother ride? What makes it better?
I hope this doesn't offend all the 6th Gen Mustang owners on here, but this is my honest opinion...

Before I give my opinion, I believe that the Mustang GT and M4 should not be realistically compared as they occupy different segments of the sports car realm. Its not fair to either car to compare them...what I mean is...most buyers wouldn't cross shop them just based on the price point.

Anyway, here's my .02 based on your question...

As a daily driver, the M4 is more comfortable, has a smoother ride (soaks up road inconsistencies much better), is more sure footed suspension wise, feels more nimble (as attributed the lighter weight and stiffer, more rigid chassis of the M4), gets better gas mileage, has a much more advanced/robust transmission (I don't know how relevant this is as my PP is 6MT), feels more luxurious and is all around better to drive daily - This is stock vs stock and lowered vs lowered as it pertains to the suspension.

My opinion of the M4 is no way meant to degrade the Mustang. Obviously, I like the GT as I purchased one, but this is my humble opinion.

If you have more specific questions or want more details, please PM me - if I continue in more detail, I'm afraid I'd ruffle too many feathers here.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
To add to my last post,

The GT is my daily driver, but I probably split driving time 60(GT):40(M4) FWIW

Sponsored

Steve44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP
I just traded in my GT for an M3 a few days ago as I needed 4 doors and still have a sporty ride. For DD duties the M wins, but it is not twice as good as the price difference would suggest :)

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
I just traded in my GT for an M3 a few days ago as I needed 4 doors and still have a sporty ride. For DD duties the M wins, but it is not twice as good as the price difference would suggest :)
Agree to disagree.

The delta in value proposition between M4 vs GT is different for everyone as it is for any purchase.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The BMW is more of a status car and it's for a more mature buyer, but the Mustang GT IMO is a better car. The little buttons on the M4 are so cheap and tacky feeling, and the DCT really sucks. I could live with a DCT, but I personally would by far prefer a manual transmission. The turbo 6 in the M4 also has no character, is too quiet and the sounds you actually CAN hear are crappy.

If you like a luxurious interior and don't care about performance or how fun the car is to drive, then the M4 might be for you. But then again why buy an M car if you don't care about performance? I drove an older 3 series BMW sedan and although it still didn't make any cool sounds, it at least had a superb manual transmission. The older 3 series was a really nice car IMO. Still too fuddy duddy for me, but a super well built car with some sportiness to it.

Even if the M4 cost the same as the Mustang GT, I would by far prefer the GT.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
Of course M4 is better in almost every category except maybe reliability.

It costs twice as much, it should be better. I will happily have a M4 if it is only 50% more expensive.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
The BMW is more of a status car and it's for a more mature buyer, but the Mustang GT IMO is a better car. The little buttons on the M4 are so cheap and tacky feeling, and the DCT really sucks. I could live with a DCT, but I personally would by far prefer a manual transmission. The turbo 6 in the M4 also has no character, is too quiet and the sounds you actually CAN hear are crappy.

If you like a luxurious interior and don't care about performance or how fun the car is to drive, then the M4 might be for you. But then again why buy an M car if you don't care about performance? I drove an older 3 series BMW sedan and although it still didn't make any cool sounds, it at least had a superb manual transmission. The older 3 series was a really nice car IMO. Still too fuddy duddy for me, but a super well built car with some sportiness to it.

Even if the M4 cost the same as the Mustang GT, I would by far prefer the GT.
Sorry Hack, but after having two F8X DCT cars I'm curious as to what you mean by it "really sucks." It is probably the 2nd best best automatic transmission behind Porsche's PDK. Unless you start getting into the exotics such as Ferrari etc. It is very smooth, reliable and has lightning quick shifts when you want them. As has been said, Ford has nothing that can compete with it.

As far as better car, it depends on what you consider better. Yes, the M4 is soulless, but it will handly beat a Mustang GT and even give any regular GT350 a run for its money on or off the track. It is night and day better than a Mustang GT performance wise. I also think interior wise as well IMO. Fit and finish and materials are much better than anything the Mustang has to offer. And it should since you are paying a very large premium over a Mustang.

I would actually give the ride quality to the Mustang though. I never thought my M3/4 even with the adaptive suspension rode that great. It wasn't awful, but even in comfort it can be crashy over bumps during your daily commute and it would get annoying.

I also would give the Mustang GT the win for fun to drive factor. As the reviews said the M3/4 is soulless, disconnected or whatever adjective you want to describe it as. I always felt like I should be enjoying my M cars more than I did and just didn't. It doesn't have that tangible fun factor that the Mustangs have for whatever reason.

So IMO, if you care about fun, a better ride and a better overall driving experience get the Mustang GT.

If you care about all out performance numbers with some decent luxury mixed in get an M4. Oh yeah, if you do need a usable back seat I would get an M4 as well. No real adult should sit in the back of a S550 Mustang for any length of time or I think it is legally considered torture by the UN or something. ;)

Edit: I should add the traction control on the M3/4 does suck IMO. It is harder to get the power down and the MDynamic mode (a mix of sport and track on the Mustang) will just cut the power instead of allowing some oversteer. It is the number one thing I hated about my M3 and M4 and conversely one of my favorite things about my GT350.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry Hack, but after having two F8X DCT cars I'm curious as to what you mean by it "really sucks." It is probably the 2nd best best automatic transmission behind Porsche's PDK.

As far as better car, it depends on what you consider better. Yes, the M4 is soulless, SNIP
I should have said, "no fun to drive" rather than "sucks".

Soulless isn't a bad way to put it.

It seemed like a decent car in how it drove to me. Good power, it gripped well in corners, comfortable, etc. But the engine didn't sound good, the buttons were sticky and cheap feeling, and I really hate automatics of any kind. I don't understand why someone would pay big money for a DCT. YUCK!! IMO DCT transmissions have their place, but not in a sporty/fun car.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Slightly off topic from the thread. I have to agree about the F8X cars being somewhat soulless, one of the reasons I am still in my E92 M3.

That being said, I would take a M4 over a Mustang GT. I really wanted a GT until I drove one and realized it actually is a step backwards in my eyes from the E92 M3 I already own..of course this is my opinion...YMMV.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Slightly off topic from the thread. I have to agree about the F8X cars being somewhat soulless, one of the reasons I am still in my E92 M3.

That being said, I would take a M4 over a Mustang GT. I really wanted a GT until I drove one and realized it actually is a step backwards in my eyes from the E92 M3 I already own..of course this is my opinion...YMMV.
I've never driven an E92 M3, but based on the specs I completely believe that it would be more fun than a Mustang GT.

I hope BMW goes back to high revving V8s. A TT V8 would be acceptable as a substitute, but I really don't like the 6.

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
I've never driven an E92 M3, but based on the specs I completely believe that it would be more fun than a Mustang GT.

I hope BMW goes back to high revving V8s. A TT V8 would be acceptable as a substitute, but I really don't like the 6.
The V8 E90x is only a 4.0 and has little torque. Not as much fun as the Mustang and may have long-term bearing issues.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
For the cost difference between a GT and an M car you could buy one GT and daily drive it. Tuck another one away as a keep sake.
Sponsored