Sponsored

GT PP engine knock/ping/tick?

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
My car sounds similar to this and has the slight knock . It started after my oil change. THe dealer said its "normal" they verified the noise and said it was on other pp cars as well. I just wanted it documented before I did my headers.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
What do PP cars have different than other GT 5.0's? The noise is not right man...

5.0 engine is all the same whether std/PP/premium, as long as it's a 5.0. What exactly did the dealer tell you?

Why is everyone NOT experiencing the same thing we are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
What do PP cars have different than other GT 5.0's? The noise is not right man...

They are the same. I agree, wait till you hear mine. It's an actual knock. I can't upload the vid on here though.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I just can't believe the dealer will just dismiss this, that's unacceptable. Did they show you another car on the lot with the same sound

I couldn't either. They did not but it is in the complaint is in the system and they did seem pretty cool about keeping in touch if a tsb comes out. I'm sure my engine will go at some point but so far so good. I do run it hard.
The knock goes away after it warms up.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
PM Ford Service on the forum as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Ok, mine is more of a tick, loud click at that. I honestly can't accept a "normal" operation unless EVERYONE is experiencing this with a 5.0.

I heard your via email, same as mine. How can you accept that your engine will eventually go as you said and still enjoy driving this car. How about if your engine goes while out of warranty? Honestly I didn't pay almost 40k for a lemon.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
My first guess would have been exhaust leak as well. It's plausible the exhaust flowing over a certain part of the new pipes is causing a small turbulence even though there is no leak. My car has longtube headers and the collectors make a sound like an exhaust leak at idle even though the seal is perfect.

If that isn't the cause, I'd likely blame the early oil change as I've seen this complaint a lot from '11-14 owners. In many cases the issue cleared up with mileage and driving it hard. Get the engine nice and hot and go WOT close to redline a few times and see if that helps.

If possible jack the car up and listen around the oil filter as well. These can have check valves and baffles that make noises as well. I recommend the Motorcraft FL500S if that isn't what you used.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
My first guess would have been exhaust leak as well. It's plausible the exhaust flowing over a certain part of the new pipes is causing a small turbulence even though there is no leak. My car has longtube headers and the collectors make a sound like an exhaust leak at idle even though the seal is perfect.

If that isn't the cause, I'd likely blame the early oil change as I've seen this complaint a lot from '11-14 owners. In many cases the issue cleared up with mileage and driving it hard. Get the engine nice and hot and go WOT close to redline a few times and see if that helps.

If possible jack the car up and listen around the oil filter as well. These can have check valves and baffles that make noises as well. I recommend the Motorcraft FL500S if that isn't what you used.

Thank you Grimace, I'll give that a shot. The sound is only on the passenger side, bottom end, could very well be the filter as some have complained before. I did not prep it and used a purolator gold filter ( best they had at Advanced auto). I've always used that filter with great success in previous vehicles. I guess Fords like Motorcraft oil and filters. I am due for an oil change in 1500 miles and I will swap out for FL500s and Motorcraft full syn. I made an appt with a dealer and they never even bothered to get back to me... I feel like if this was a bad enough issue id be fighting an uphill battle. I will report back soon and check around the filter also. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Any word Ruby? Curious because I believe I have this same noise. I pretty much always have a routine, start the car, turn on the ac, and leave. If it's nice, once I get out the garage and start moving I one touch the windows down. However this morning, for whatever reason other than me being so tired I broke routine, I rolled the windows down the moment I started the car, so was still in the garage, and I noticed the ticking noise. I had to leave for work so I didn't have time to go investigate the source. Now back when I got my lund tune I originally got sent the wrong file, I got one sent for no CAI, so my car wasn't running right after starting up. I've never experienced this before so I did take the car around the block a couple times not knowing what it was to see if it would clear up, but after it didn't I contacted them and found out the file was for stock intake. Not sure if I messed up the engine since I know running a CAI without the tune for it can mess up the engine. Just not sure if a trip around a few streets is enough.

Anyhow, I was searching the ticking noise and found this thread, scroll down to post #7. Just an interesting read, but would like to know your results.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...angs/768194-new-5-0-engine-ticking-sound.html
Sponsored