Sponsored

GT PP engine knock/ping/tick?

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I know you pain Ruby. My new long block got the same tick as the old one on its first oil change. When I brought it back I this scratch on my roof:

http://imgur.com/MQdFVdZ

And the evap canister purge valve they replaced did nothing (of course). Only mine is old and I cannot lemon law.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I know you pain Ruby. My new long block got the same tick as the old one on its first oil change. When I brought it back I this scratch on my roof:

http://imgur.com/MQdFVdZ

And the evap canister purge valve they replaced did nothing (of course). Only mine is old and I cannot lemon law.

Horrible man, just horrible. Sorry to hear about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Thanks. The terrible part is it started ticking like this within 300 miles of replacement. I have only one video where it was even slightly audible. I have another video where you can hear chattering on the driver's side reminiscent of the snapping at idle that the worst barbecue ticking engines produce. I'm not done going through Ford channels to rectify it, but, I am not the only person to get the tick on his new motor. I know of a few, and spoke to one a few weeks ago whose dealer wanted to replace the longblock (they'd previously replaced the shortblock, and, since it didn't work, they figured they'd remove as many variables as possible, ostensibly) and Ford's response was, 'there's no way this could happen again.' They sent an engineer to look at it, whose diagnosis was, 'it's perfectly normal.' He is in a different part of the country from me, so I could get a different regional customer service rep, but I find it highly likely that will happen again. At the moment I have had trouble producing the noise for the dealer I go to, since I need to move the car to make the noise, and their service entrance was too crowded to do anything but slip the clutch. Still, on even level ground, every time I start from a stop, or go into second gear at low rpm:

[ame]

This can't be normal (and this videos is 1200 miles on the oil after the noise has died down considerably). I've never met someone in person who has had this problem, and the vast majority of forum members don't either. Most of the time they blame the owner for abusing the car, etc. I broke this thing in by the book, no burnouts, no donuts, haven't even launched it once. I have taken it to redline three times, all after 1000 miles. Ridiculous.

I have seen scattered reports that 5w30 oil keeps the noise away, but I have not talked to anyone who has confirmed it, and I like my warranty, so I can't try it.

I have used redline 5w20 on the old engine, and it was far quieter. The old engine would do the worst snapping at idle of any of the bbq tick videos you've seen, and with redline it was less bad than the video above. It would be interesting to use 5w30, but I can't do that until my warranty expires.

I have seen scattered claims people have talked to service reps who say Ford has ordered no more work for this because 'it doesn't seem to harm the engines long term,' and they can't figure it out. No idea if that's true, but my dealership definitely admits that's not a normal noise. I will bring it to them for the next oil change and start over with trying to get a diagnosis.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Stories like this make me so upset. Hard working people with an obvious issue vs a multi billion dollar company, brushed off as "normal". How many stories have I heard like this over my time in this forum. It's funny how many people actually have this issue (BBQ tick) or my issue, and just never care to notice or listen in for it. A buddy at work with a 2014 has the BBQ tick, and over his 3 year ownership and 43k miles he wasn't aware. I called him out on it, now he's freaking out over it, but no more warranty because he tuned it.

I hope you get a dealer that actually does something, and actually fixes it. But what's to say down the line the engine won't do the same thing.

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Stories like this make me so upset. Hard working people with an obvious issue vs a multi billion dollar company, brushed off as "normal". How many stories have I heard like this over my time in this forum. It's funny how many people actually have this issue (BBQ tick) or my issue, and just never care to notice or listen in for it. A buddy at work with a 2014 has the BBQ tick, and over his 3 year ownership and 43k miles he wasn't aware. I called him out on it, now he's freaking out over it, but no more warranty because he tuned it.

I hope you get a dealer that actually does something, and actually fixes it. But what's to say down the line the engine won't do the same thing.

I have to admit your car sounds like my old engine:

This is after the oil change tick went away
[ame]

This is the oil change tick at its worst. Notice that besides the snapping at idle, when I got up the driveway, it makes the same noise as my new engine. Also the new engine will make the snapping sound if you rev it while at operating temp, just like the old one.
[ame]

I can always bring it back to the dealership that changed the long block in April. They're 80 miles away and the drive back trying to change speed/rpms constantly while not going 'too fast' was a pain in the ass. Again, if (when) Ford can't fix this, it's more or less the same thing as no warranty, so I'll throw 5w30 in there and see what happens.

What I keep saying to the service reps, and I hope they understand my problem, is I would definitely consider buying a GT350, new, from their dealership (after waiting to see if 1) Ford does in fact build them for 5 years; 2) letting them work out the early adopter penalty bugs for at least two years--this is the only way I see not getting markups and avoiding problems). But first my regular version has to start working right. If the old engine they bragged about 'tuning to within an inch of its life' destroys itself in 60,000 miles, no way I'm going to drop 60 grand after tax and title on a new engine 'even more stressed to within an inch of its life,' with even small piston skirts and rings spaced even more closely together (if the owners making this guess as to the source of problem are right).

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have seen scattered reports that 5w30 oil keeps the noise away, but I have not talked to anyone who has confirmed it, and I like my warranty, so I can't try it.
I highly doubt 5W-30 is going to harm anything. IF the ticking is due to 5W-20 being too thin when hot, then that could be doing some damage. IMO, I think it's the rod/crank bearings that are ticking because the ticking sound changes with load, or it could be the hydraulic valve actuators. Bottom line is seems this tick is always when the engine is hot, never during warm-up which to me points to the oil being too thin when hot. And I though I read that some guys say the tick slowly goes away with miles on the oil. This could be because oil tends to thicken up with use, so at the end of an oil change the oil is a bit thicker at the same temperature that it was when new.

It very well could be that the tolerances between cars is why some tick and others don't after an oil change. Subject them to thin 5W-20 and some cars with tolerances on the large side of the range will tick, while cars with tolerances on the tight side will not.

My S550 only has ~800 miles, but it tick free. Will run the factory oil out to ~3000 mile and change it using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and the FL-500S oil filter. If it starts ticking after the oil change I will change it to a good 5W-30 and see what happens.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Update: Got the car back and the noise is not only STILL there but even louder now.

Needless to say, I am livid. I have lost complete confidence in Ford as a company and this vehicle. I am proceeding with lemon law and currently awaiting Fords decision whether they'd rather issue a buy back before I go to arbitration, or deny me.
That totally sucks. So you said they installed a short block which means it has the crank/rods/pistons already assembled, and I would have to believe the tolerances were all within factory spec.

I'm wondering if the hydraulic followers bleed down during the rebuild and haven't pumped up all the way yet? I would be frickin' upset to say the least if my car ticked worse coming back then it went going in. Apparently, the scored cylinders where probably not making the ticking noise.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
That totally sucks. So you said they installed a short block which means it has the crank/rods/pistons already assembled, and I would have to believe the tolerances were all within factory spec.

I'm wondering if the hydraulic followers bleed down during the rebuild and haven't pumped up all the way yet? I would be frickin' upset to say the least if my car ticked worse coming back then it went going in. Apparently, the scored cylinders where probably not making the ticking noise.

At this point the car in my eyes and by law is a lemon. I am done trying to get things fixed, it's obviously not working. I just look forward to a refund and moving on with my life, this nightmare has done enough for me.

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I highly doubt 5W-30 is going to harm anything. IF the ticking is due to 5W-20 being too thin when hot, then that could be doing some damage. IMO, I think it's the rod/crank bearings that are ticking because the ticking sound changes with load, or it could be the hydraulic valve actuators. Bottom line is seems this tick is always when the engine is hot, never during warm-up which to me points to the oil being too thin when hot. And I though I read that some guys say the tick slowly goes away with miles on the oil. This could be because oil tends to thicken up with use, so at the end of an oil change the oil is a bit thicker at the same temperature that it was when new.

It very well could be that the tolerances between cars is why some tick and others don't after an oil change. Subject them to thin 5W-20 and some cars with tolerances on the large side of the range will tick, while cars with tolerances on the tight side will not.

My S550 only has ~800 miles, but it tick free. Will run the factory oil out to ~3000 mile and change it using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and the FL-500S oil filter. If it starts ticking after the oil change I will change it to a good 5W-30 and see what happens.
Yea, I know 5w30 will not hurt anything. All reports say that the track pack engine is identical to the regular GT engine, and the track pack spec is 5w50. The old part numbers there were two different engine part numbers, one for track pack, and one for regular GT, and they were different prices (more than the difference you'd expect for only an oil cooler separating them) but now I can only find one part number for new engines, as the numbers changed, maybe with different production numbers. Mine is ER3Z-6006-A.

I agree that this sounds like a bearings clearance issue, with the only other possibility being that some of these engines have been replaced for cylinder distortion/being out of round, and they made similar noises. Either way, the great fear is damage to the engine.

I will be getting an oil change shortly with my dealership (again) to 'ascertain' if the noise is still present (it will be), and we'll see if Ford can fix this. I had hoped given I fought my ass off to get the old engine looked into, and fixed, that this was behind me. That a new engine made 2 years later developed the same problem BEFORE I even changed the oil (began ticking within 300 miles, but got WAY worse after its first oil change), is seriously disheartening.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
As highly regarded as this engine came, as unreliable as it's been to me. Highly disappointed with the quality and workmanship of the product I purchased from Ford. I regret the purchase now more than ever.

Driving the car now for about 100 miles, I've noticed the engine is out of balance. Past 4k RPMs, the whole car vibrates, as resonance from the engine. The whole car just feels off, in a bad way. The sooner I can stop driving this car, the safer I will feel.

It's sad how I loved the car, but it seems reliability, workmanship, and a whole list of other things have to be sacrificed in order to drive a Ford. It's a headache I never want again.

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I still can't believe that FORD did ship 2015 Mustangs out with all this issues. That's why I took a F150 because I don't trust any 2015 Mustang to be without any issues. The sticker price here in Canada for my Mustang was $43,500 and it was a nightmare too. Now after all the weeks they past by I should have done what I thought 1st. Get a $20,000 DD from Dodge what brings me from A to B.

I know exactly how you feel with your 2015 Mustang. It's a shxxx feeling driving it. I have the same feeling with the F150 because it reminds me on the Mustang. :faint:

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I still can't believe that FORD did ship 2015 Mustangs out with all this issues. That's why I took a F150 because I don't trust any 2015 Mustang to be without any issues. The sticker price here in Canada for my Mustang was $43,500 and it was a nightmare too. Now after all the weeks they past by I should have done what I thought 1st. Get a $20,000 DD from Dodge what brings me from A to B.

I know exactly how you feel with your 2015 Mustang. It's a shxxx feeling driving it. I have the same feeling with the F150 because it reminds me on the Mustang. :faint:

I hear you, on some f150 model the coyote engine was used and was also riddled with issues. Stick to Jap for me from now on.

Why I lost my confidence in Ford

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21895

s550hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt Magnetic
I don't think it's just America. When I got my first Veloster Nov. 2011 it had just come out, I was one of first people with one. Put the money on it in October but took a month to come over on the ship. I was in once a month for recalls/TSBs/or other warranty things. The worse was when the brake caliper went and I almost couldn't stop and had to drive 50 miles to the dealership with it rubbing against the rotor. Just one of those risks you take when you get a first year car. A co worker of mine is waiting for the 2016 exclusively for this reason. I do think Ford should comp you tho at this point. I don't think you should have to make a car payment for something you can't drive for a month. I know you;ve been fighting this for a while.
I agree. When I bought my frs in June of 2012. People were reporting all kinds of issues with the engine, people's cars dying mid commute and getting the infamous Christmas tree.
I lived in fear, but when I got rid of it I was at 70k miles. Never had an issue.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
So you're the 1 in a million and lost confidence in the whole company? I'd be pissed too, but that's just a ridiculous statement. Even the japanese manufacturers have engine problems and failures. No company is immune.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
sadly, ive been seeing that too often on the forums. lots of issues with getting ford to fix things under warranty. i'm hoping i would never have to get any warranty work done because of this.
Sponsored