Sponsored

GT Not-PP on track?

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
What are people's thoughts on taking a GT without the PP on a track? I understand it won't perform as well without the summer tires and chassis tuning, but how about durability/longevity/cooling? I'm in Norcal, summers are hot. I've got sears point, thunderhill, and leguna seca within driving distance, and buttonwillow would be a special trip but do-able.

The PP would stretch my budget more than I'm comfortable with, and a GT with the 3.55 would still tick the major boxes. The PP would obviously be the better option, but the consumables (pads/tires mostly) are a ton more expensive.
Sponsored

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
I dont see why it would be bad. There's 4 pots up front which are plenty if you get the right pads and brake fluid. Obviously, everything that will wear, will wear faster on track. Do it man, see how you like it, then evaluate after each event. I tracked my 05 with Brembos a lot and had fun doing it.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The PP is the way to go if you ever track it. The regular GT brakes will wear faster, so they will cost more in the long run. As will the narrower, less track ready tires. Plus the Torsen is much better for track use (and will also last longer). Can it be done, sure. But it will be slower, and likely costlier in the long run.

If you want to save money, don't get the Premium.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I track at thunderhill and buttonwillow, I'm actually signed up for February and March.

I got the ecoboost base with PP and I plan to track it quite often.

Realistically the 4 pots will be swapped for a better set of track oriented brakes, as well as wheels, tires, sways and suspension.

The only reason I got the PP was because it was a fairly cheap option for what you get and it will allow me to take it straight to the track.

If you plan on light track duty a base GT will be just fine and you can put that money towards a better suspension or brakes if needed.

Either way you will be happy!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why pay for an aftermarket brake upgrade, when spending that money up front gives you equivalent brakes, PLUS the torsen diff, bigger wheels and tires, chassis reinforcements, plus a sportier suspension and TC/ESC.

Sponsored

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes, the PP is well worth it but that is too late for the OP.

With 4 pots you'll be fine, just swap to DOT4 fluid, make sure you have plenty of meat on the pads, and you'll be fine for your first event.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Those all-seasons are terrible for track work. I bet they'd get greasy after a single hot lap.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
What are people's thoughts on taking a GT without the PP on a track? I understand it won't perform as well without the summer tires and chassis tuning, but how about durability/longevity/cooling? I'm in Norcal, summers are hot. I've got sears point, thunderhill, and leguna seca within driving distance, and buttonwillow would be a special trip but do-able.

The PP would stretch my budget more than I'm comfortable with, and a GT with the 3.55 would still tick the major boxes. The PP would obviously be the better option, but the consumables (pads/tires mostly) are a ton more expensive.
The right tire, pads and fluid, you shouldn't be that far off from a PP with your base GT. The base 15' GT brakes are better than the 11-14 brembo.
You have the 3.55's which is an awesome gear for the MT82 in stock form.
Depending on the track the 3.73's may be too much gear for the MT82 gearing.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Why pay for an aftermarket brake upgrade, when spending that money up front gives you equivalent brakes, PLUS the torsen diff, bigger wheels and tires, chassis reinforcements, plus a sportier suspension and TC/ESC.
Those 6 pots are good but for heavy track use those dust boots won't last long.

For stockish power and the guy tracking for fun the PP is an excellent upgrade.

If he doesn't get the package it's not the end of the world, he can go to the aftermarket and add parts as he sees fits.

Off the bat the tires will have to go.

OP
OP
ilkhan

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm asking in advance of ordering (2016 model), but the general consensus definitely seems to be that the PP is worth getting.
If you have to start with tires and pads right off the bat I might as well pay for the good stuff up front.

That was my opinion too, I just was hoping otherwise. PP it is.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm asking in advance of ordering (2016 model), but the general consensus definitely seems to be that the PP is worth getting.
If you have to start with tires and pads right off the bat I might as well pay for the good stuff up front.

That was my opinion too, I just was hoping otherwise. PP it is.
I didn't read your original post close enough. If you haven't ordered yet and plan on tracking your car, the PP is a no brainer for the price. My main complaint with the PP is the standard 3.73's, as I couldn't stand them on my 2012 Brembo GT. Torsion is nice but like I said, 3.73's are a lot of gear or the MT82 (less traction, too much shifting, lower top speed, less mpg, shift to 3rd at 60 and shift to 5th in the 1/4...). It's also a preference thing and you may love 3.73's but I would go test drive one with them before ordering.
I got a crazy deal on me base GT and don't ever plan on tracking my car but if I were to do again I would personally order a PP with the optional 3.55's or 3.31's.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
PP is 3.73 only unfortunately, but even figuring on changing the gearing it's still a good buy for anyone who plans track use. Now if you're building a full on race car, and you will be replacing a lot a parts anyway, PP or not, then a GT might be slightly cheaper. But in that case, a body in white would be a better starting point and the $2400 difference between a GT and GT PP would be a very small slice of your budget.

OP
OP
ilkhan

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't read your original post close enough. If you haven't ordered yet and plan on tracking your car, the PP is a no brainer for the price. My main complaint with the PP is the standard 3.73's, as I couldn't stand them on my 2012 Brembo GT. Torsion is nice but like I said, 3.73's are a lot of gear or the MT82 (less traction, too much shifting, lower top speed, less mpg, shift to 3rd at 60 and shift to 5th in the 1/4...). It's also a preference thing and you may love 3.73's but I would go test drive one with them before ordering.
I got a crazy deal on me base GT and don't ever plan on tracking my car but if I were to do again I would personally order a PP with the optional 3.55's or 3.31's.
All GT-PPs are 3.73, its not an option. I agree though, its too much gear. 3.55 would be preferable on most tracks. Gears are pretty cheap though, is it something that can be swapped later without changing the whole dif for a not-torsen unit?

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yea, if you're asking for a future order and plan to ever track the car, definitely get the PP. 3.73's are short but as a novice driver it won't matter. You'll need to learn rev-matching and heel-toe anyway and 3.73's simply make a little more work for you on certain tracks. The positive to that is you'll have a much more lively car power wise.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All GT-PPs are 3.73, its not an option. I agree though, its too much gear. 3.55 would be preferable on most tracks. Gears are pretty cheap though, is it something that can be swapped later without changing the whole dif for a not-torsen unit?
You are right, I was mistaken. Just tried to build my own on the Ford site and when I selected the 3.55's it prompt me to remove the performance package. 3.73's would be a deal breaker for me.
Gears are pretty cheap but the install can be pricey and you will need to find someone that knows what they are doing (you don't want to end up with gear whine due to a bad install). You can go to the Ford dealer to calibrate the speedo without tuning.
Sponsored