Getting this repaired… but how disappointing

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I had the same problem, although not to the same degree with the Redline kit. Their kit works great on my 2016 Interceptor Utility - but the mounting is dramatically better for that vehicle.

I'd expect the Roush kits to be the best...but my GT is using the tried and true hood strut.

I'll add....any of these kits with a single bolt mounting point on the fender are going to rotation, IMO. If I see it correctly, only the Roush have a second attaching point.

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
LOL Sorry to hear about this incident OP.

I find this thread interesting but I legit must be the only one out there that is perfectly fine lifting the hood and sticking the cheap prop rod in the hole. Haha. It looks terrible but it will never fail!!

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
LOL Sorry to hear about this incident OP.

I find this thread interesting but I legit must be the only one out there that is perfectly fine lifting the hood and ticking the cheap prop rod in the hole. Haha. It looks terrible but it will never fail!!
Not Ford but the one on my daughter’s Accord failed. Broken plastic bushing at the bottom and broken holder made it loose and sketchy when up and rattled noisily when down.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
BTW.......I watched an installation video for the FP Struts and it warns to re-route tho washer hose or the strut may deform it.........DEFORM.....Hell it was mashed FLAT and I'd probably never have known since I never use the washer system.......always in the garage in the rain!!:like::like:

It's a corrugated plastic line and I was able to un-flatten it and re-route it.......will test it for leaks today!!:curse:

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
You can order the Redline lower brackets alone -- P/N: 55-00017; $17.95. The Ford Performance struts will mount perfectly to them.
I mean....why support shitty design of FP product with our money instead of giving it to the companies that took time to create good ones (steeda/redline/roush)
I'd expect the Roush kits to be the best...
Yeah, that is the only one, from my research at least, that is using 2 bolted mounting points for the bottom mount. That eliminates any chance of it twisting and damaging the car body.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I mean....why support shitty design of FP product with our money instead of giving it to the companies that took time to create good ones (steeda/redline/roush)

I agree, and assume that OP would agree that, knowing what we now know about FP struts, we should have chosen others. However, if OP has already spent money on the FP struts, the Redline lower brackets allow the use of the FP struts with a better-designed bracket and keep unnecessary stuff out of a landfill.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I just checked my FP Strut Kit and it seems to be fine after a year or so.......no evidence of pulling upward as seen in OP's photos!!

I made certain that the lower attachment device was installed all the way forward in the fender opening since the lifting struts will naturally tend to push it forward....mine are still perfectly tight and aligned so I guess they're OK??
I've had mine since Feb. 2021 (from Amazon) and they seem fine so far. Maybe it has to do with careful installation of the lower bracket?

0501240941.jpg

0501240940.jpg

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've had mine since Feb. 2021 (from Amazon) and they seem fine so far. Maybe it has to do with careful installation of the lower bracket?

0501240941.jpg

0501240940.jpg
Mine look exactly the same on my 2020 GT, been on there now for about three and a half years. I just went out and popped the hood on my car and looked them over, even got out the flashlight to take a good look, brackets are nice and flat with no sign of distortion. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Doug

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible

0501240941.jpg

0501240940.jpg

I agree Garfy........

I cannot imagine how the deformation of the fender openings in the OPs photos happened unless someone tried to raise the hood with great force beyond the limit of the struts??

Also, one of the photos shows marks like the locking Star Washer was on the top side maybe instead of under the opening??

Sponsored

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
You can order the Redline lower brackets alone -- P/N: 55-00017; $17.95. The Ford Performance struts will mount perfectly to them.
Do you have a link? I’d be curious to purchase the UPPER brackets, as they definitely would span a broader surface of the hood for better support 🤔

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Do you have a link? I’d be curious to purchase the UPPER brackets, as they definitely would span a broader surface of the hood for better support 🤔
No, but just Google "Redline Mustang Hood Struts" and you'll be there.