mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I’d wager the seller was hoping to limp a hurt engine along enough to get the car sold and not have to deal with it. That’s probably why it’s “only” been driven 200 miles this year.

Run away now.
Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Those two sound clips are what a Gen5 Whipple sounds like. You are hearing a combination of the exhaust, the drive components for the supercharger, and the injectors clicking. I am assuming they have added at least ID1050's/FIC1000's or bigger. I see a fuel system.

OP
OP
Ambanja

Ambanja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Braxton
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Whipple
Those two sound clips are what a Gen5 Whipple sounds like. You are hearing a combination of the exhaust, the drive components for the supercharger, and the injectors clicking. I am assuming they have added at least ID1050's/FIC1000's or bigger. I see a fuel system.
That’s what I figured! They are either ID1300’s or something else, he didn’t remember and I didn’t pull one out.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So the car has 500 miles total and only 200 miles in the last year, or 500 miles since the SC was installed?

OP
OP
Ambanja

Ambanja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Braxton
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Whipple
So the car has 500 miles total and only 200 miles in the last year, or 500 miles since the SC was installed?
It’s had less than 200 on the past year, less than 2k miles on the mods. Low 5k miles in total.

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Got ya. My reading comprehension suffers some times.

OP
OP
Ambanja

Ambanja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Braxton
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Whipple
Got ya. My reading comprehension suffers some times.
No problem, I still have insurance out on it. And the current owner is taking it to a shop to get fixed and diagnose the issue. So I’ll be updating everyone here when I have an answer. But hopefully will have the car within a month if it’s not serious

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That’s what I figured! They are either ID1300’s or something else, he didn’t remember and I didn’t pull one out.
Kinda a red flag for me. If the owner doesn't even know what injectors they're running that means he's either been asleep and been totally removed from what's been done to the car or he hasn't had the car long. Have you ran a carfax to see how many owners it's had? What injectors you're running is kinda an important aspect of a blown car. Even if he had a shop do everything the fact that he doesn't know is probably indicative of how interested he was in maintenance and upkeep. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but if someone is trying to sell me a highly modified item and isn't familiar with the modifications, it's generally a bad sign.

OP
OP
Ambanja

Ambanja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Braxton
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Whipple
Kinda a red flag for me. If the owner doesn't even know what injectors they're running that means he's either been asleep and been totally removed from what's been done to the car or he hasn't had the car long. Have you ran a carfax to see how many owners it's had? What injectors you're running is kinda an important aspect of a blown car. Even if he had a shop do everything the fact that he doesn't know is probably indicative of how interested he was in maintenance and upkeep. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but if someone is trying to sell me a highly modified item and isn't familiar with the modifications, it's generally a bad sign.
I believe he did most of the work, I think he genuinely doesn’t remember as it was built several years ago. He seemed to have a good amount of money, campers, boats, nice garage, nice truck, building a giant brand new house on a plot of land, so I think it’s just not number one priority.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Man, unless you got the car for like 20k I'd RUN away.

I've been where you are, looking at a new shiny toy that is going to be super fun to drive. I've had to walk away from a lot of new toys because of certain things I'd know would come back to bite me. You've now had multiple people tell you there are a lot of red flags. Don't take delivery of that car, period! You have absolutely no idea if that was done right, tuned right, or even treated nicely during the break in period of the SC. The fact it had problems during the test drive tells you everything you need to know. That's why they call it a test drive, lol! Take the advice and run. Otherwise we'll be here to help when your engine blows two months down the road :like:

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not as sour on it as some of the guys who have replied. If the owner is willing to let your mechanics go through it and be transparent, there's no reason to bail on it yet, IMHO.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Could be a number of things, if it’s sat for awhile it could just be bad gas. Drain the fuel, if the fuel system is powered directly to the battery and not in trigger you can just power the car to drain. Throw some new 93 and a can of VP octanium. I’d also run a datalog to see if you have a stuck injector which can happen. I can’t imagine seals being bad if running only 93 unless there is something else going on. A log will tell you a lot of things.

OP
OP
Ambanja

Ambanja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Braxton
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Whipple
The car had a bad cam phaser, all timing components are getting replaced also.
Sponsored