Sponsored

2017 GT350 with 24k miles blown transmission components

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So that was covered under the the 5/50 warranty?
The drivetrain (engine, trans and rear) are covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty as outlined in all S550 Owner’s Manuals.

Usually “normal wear items” such as clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB are not covered. I can’t speak to the post saying a new trans is being put in under warranty IF those normal wear components are also included at no charge or not. @raiderjatt02 would need to update or let us know if Ford opted to replace all parts including then or al wear items.

If a wear item fails prematurely due to manufacturing inefficiency or defect - it has to be proven it did not fail under “abuse”. If proven faulty by design, Ford would warrant replacement under warranty. If the normal wear parts were damaged due to associated transmission issues, they might replace those wear parts with the Trans under the provisions of the 5/60.

GT350 Trans failure is definitely lowest in the drivetrain category for major failures documented on this site and some others.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
The drivetrain (engine, trans and rear) are covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty as outlined in all S550 Owner’s Manuals.

Usually “normal wear items” such as clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB are not covered. I can’t speak to the post saying a new trans is being put in under warranty IF those normal wear components are also included at no charge or not. @raiderjatt02 would need to update or let us know if Ford opted to replace all parts including then or al wear items.

If a wear item fails prematurely due to manufacturing inefficiency or defect - it has to be proven it did not fail under “abuse”. If proven faulty by design, Ford would warrant replacement under warranty. If the normal wear parts were damaged due to associated transmission issues, they might replace those wear parts with the Trans under the provisions of the 5/60.

GT350 Trans failure is definitely lowest in the drivetrain category for major failures documented on this site and some others.

Yeah, I will post the image of what was all replaced. Yeah the clutch and most components in the transmission are being replaced. The dealer had to wait about a week from Ford to go ahead and order the parts and get approval for the repairs. So it looks like there may have been a manufacturing issue, or as was stated the previous owner kicked the sh*t out of it and the dealer hooked me up and said the right things to Ford to get this going.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, at 24K miles I would say likely abuse from the last owner. I don't see a manufacturing issue showing up after that many miles. Sounds like the dealer is taking care of you, and I wouldn't worry about a trans rebuild vs. a new one.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
@GAGT350 and @Cobra Jet , I'll definitely update once I get my car back. As far as I know, everything is covered under warranty so far but I don't know what part is from the OEM 5y/60k warranty and what is part of my PremiumCare ESP. Still waiting on a driveshaft since the one that got shipped out was damaged and haven't really looked at the paperwork so I don't want to give you guys false info until I know for sure.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
update*** Well there's no update actually.. It's now been in the shop for 2 months with no ETA. I was told about 3 weeks ago all parts/tools were here and the mechanic was starting with the replacement. Fast forward to today and I finally get ahold of the service manager, she has no ETA and the tech said he needed another tool for the job... She did not know if he had already ordered the tool or needs to order the tool (WTF!)

At this point, I am being dicked around, what should I do? Get Ford corporate involved? Go to the dealership and have my fiance be a Karen? I am fairly laid back but this is beyond ridiculous, to not have an ETA after 2 months is something someone should be fired over.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I’d definitely contact Ford Customer Service. Can you transfer the repair to another dealer? I’m pretty patient with things like this as well, but communication is key. Don’t bs me, be straight, and keep me informed. It’s easy to do. Avoids an irate customer as well.

update*** Well there's no update actually.. It's now been in the shop for 2 months with no ETA. I was told about 3 weeks ago all parts/tools were here and the mechanic was starting with the replacement. Fast forward to today and I finally get ahold of the service manager, she has no ETA and the tech said he needed another tool for the job... She did not know if he had already ordered the tool or needs to order the tool (WTF!)

At this point, I am being dicked around, what should I do? Get Ford corporate involved? Go to the dealership and have my fiance be a Karen? I am fairly laid back but this is beyond ridiculous, to not have an ETA after 2 months is something someone should be fired over.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Yep, got my Case# already. They are going to follow up with the service manager then escalate from there. While the dealership has provided me with a loaner, it's nowhere near the GT350 I paid for along with I am still making monthly payments on it while it's sitting in the shop either torn apart or not...

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
Not trying to hijack the thread but thought this information was relevant.

My 18 GT350 is currently at a Ford dealership. I had a very loud chatter, clunking noise coming from the transmission at an idle while the car was in neutral. I talked with the service manger/writer today who stated they are waiting on the warranty department to authorize a tear down to see what's wrong or order a replacement unit. I assume he meant transmission when he said unit. My car has been there only two days so I did not press it to much at this time. I'll wait and see what is said on my update tomorrow.

The car has approximately 6500k on the dash. I don't rag on it at all. I don't bang gears or treat it like your local Honda Civic driver.

Good luck to the OP on getting it repaired correctly. Keep us updated!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Not trying to hijack the thread but thought this information was relevant.

My 18 GT350 is currently at a Ford dealership. I had a very loud chatter, clunking noise coming from the transmission at an idle while the car was in neutral. I talked with the service manger/writer today who stated they are waiting on the warranty department to authorize a tear down to see what's wrong or order a replacement unit. I assume he meant transmission when he said unit. My car has been there only two days so I did not press it to much at this time. I'll wait and see what is said on my update tomorrow.

The car has approximately 6500k on the dash. I don't rang on it at all. I don't bang gears or treat it like your local Honda Civic driver.

Good luck to the OP on getting it repaired correctly. Keep us updated!

I hope yours is a quick, this has been a long drawn out process. I understand parts delays due to covid, but telling me you have everything then 3 weeks later saying you need more stuff... bad communication issues there, probably won't have it serviced there anymore just due to that. I guess the grass is always greener right?

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I hope yours is a quick, this has been a long drawn out process. I understand parts delays due to covid, but telling me you have everything then 3 weeks later saying you need more stuff... bad communication issues there, probably won't have it serviced there anymore just due to that. I guess the grass is always greener right?

Yea, your delay is unacceptable to say the least. I would be beyond furious by now. It would be hard for me to understand the justification they are giving on why it's taking so long. All Ford dealerships are not created equal, but there are very few that are trustworthy. If my car was not under warranty, it would not even be at a stealership.

My process on actually getting my car in for service was a task in it's self, but that's another story. I will see how it plays out. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, got my Case# already. They are going to follow up with the service manager then escalate from there. While the dealership has provided me with a loaner, it's nowhere near the GT350 I paid for along with I am still making monthly payments on it while it's sitting in the shop either torn apart or not...
So the car has been down for 2mos now? Call your Ford CSR back and tell them due to the inconvenience and your unsatisfactory new car Ownership experience, you want reimbursement of the 2mos of car payments. I would also ask them what are they going to do for you to make you whole - since you’ve been patiently waiting for a resolution.

In most States, if the car has been down inop at a Service Center for 30-consecutive days OR 30-calendar days within a year, the car instantly qualifies under Lemon Law. That would be an avenue to pursue only IF you’re totally done with the situation. The problem with higher end Limited Edition Ford’s is the fact that some Dealers tacked on ADM to the MSRP. If you paid any ADM over MSRP, the ADM $ is not recoverable at all via a Ford RAV Buy Back. ADM is not a Ford line item on the Window Sticker, it’s added cost by the Dealership and only benefits the Selling Dealer. If pursuit of the ADM is necessary in a Lemon Law claim, you might need to pursue that concern with the Dealer OR get a Lemon Law Attroney involved.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do lemon laws apply if you are the second owner?
There are Lemon Law provisions for “used” car ownership, however those Laws, guidelines and provisions for such vary State to State.

If the OP were to pursue that a Lemon Law avenue, regardless if he was the original owner on a brand new car or the second owner on a “used” car he has to research his State Lemon Laws at his State’s DMV or Attorney General .gov website (not a 3rd party website as those can contain inaccurate data).

Is the OP a new car owner or a used car owner - maybe I misread his initial post as being a new car owner since it’s stated the car is “new to him”.

If he’s a secondary owner - then my prior Post # 29 would be rescinded from these aspects:
The ADM comment no longer applies if he bought used, it’s a moot point.

He might be able to get car loan reimbursement payments only IF the Ford CSR approves. I know for a fact they oblige to new car owners in this type of situation - but again if the car is used and he’s not the original owner they may not entertain the request. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Sponsored

Last edited: