Sponsored

FYI: Mustang GT Lateral G with OEM 18"/19" PP/20" Tire/Wheels

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
I have a '16 GT auto with the optional 20" Foundry Wheels/Summer Tires. Automotive journals rarely test performance cars with anything but the best wheel/tire set up the manufacturer offers.

But with the new GT, I found some. Very interesting I think:

GT PP with OEM 19" Summer tires
0.95 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-instrumented-test-review

GT with OEM 18" A/S tires
0.83 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review

GT (vert) with OEM 20" Summer Tires
0.90 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-manual-test-review

I can deal with .90 g ...
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Two of these are acceptable. One is not. The average family sedan shouldn't be able to out skidpad a Mustang.

Also, the coupe on 19" A/S tires does 0.90g. That's acceptable too.

OP
OP
16 GT MM/Auto

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Where is the test of the coupe on 19" A/S?

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah my all seasons aint cuting it ... next spring its getting new shoes rims and tires

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
With that said, what A/S tires WOULD cut it for those of us that a) DD their cars b) dont wanna replace tires every 10-15K and c) live where the temps drop below 40* for the winter months? Im looking very heavily at replacing the stock summer tires on my PP 15GT with Continental DWS06's but have been researching my options lately.

Matt

Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
You are tapping into a fact that many car people seem to not realize.

Tires matter more then anything.

"family" sedans tend to have big floaty comfy tires so people complain that they "handle poorly".

A great example was the 2015 Accord V6 I had. The stock 17" wheels and tires were terrible, the car felt like it was floating like a boat, really bad.

I put the Honda 19" HFP (Honda factory performance) rims on it and it straitened up very well. Sure it wasn't pulling .90+ lateral G's but it was still fun to drive and I could pile on it in a corner, like most Honda's.

You see car mags do comparisons of cars and pick one model with perf tires and one with all weather tires and marvel that the one with perf tires performs well... when in fact if the other car had perf tires on, they would probably handle better.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
For apples to apples, I wish we could see a non-PP vert GT and a non-PP fast back GT compared.

if the vert is pulling a .9, I would bet the fastback (without brace) would pull something similar.

I still say .9 is absolutely amazing. I remember in the 90's and 2000's when the top performers in the world were in the upper .9's and when they started finally hitting 1

.9 isnt that glorious for today's cars but all things considered (and nothing to scoff at for a 4 seat car).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a '16 GT auto with the optional 20" Foundry Wheels/Summer Tires. Automotive journals rarely test performance cars with anything but the best wheel/tire set up the manufacturer offers.

But with the new GT, I found some. Very interesting I think:

GT PP with OEM 19" Summer tires
0.95 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-instrumented-test-review

GT with OEM 18" A/S tires
0.83 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review

GT (vert) with OEM 20" Summer Tires
0.90 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-manual-test-review

I can deal with .90 g ...
Those are what, summer 255/275 with PP suspension, AS 235 squared base suspension, and summer 265 squared base suspension? Seems about right. These are front heavy cars, they absolutely love wider tires, especially in the front. Wonder what my 295/325 would test as...

OP
OP
16 GT MM/Auto

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
No magazine test I'm aware of. This is straight from a Ford Vehicle Dynamics engineer.
Ok, thanks.

I'm just trying to keep track of all the GT tests.

... Wonder what my 295/325 would test as...
When I used to mod/race cars, I always wondered the same thing:
"What would my set up test at?"

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
When I used to mod/race cars, I always wondered the same thing:
"What would my set up test at?"
I would love to find a skid pad with a 300 ft. painted oval and see what car does the suspension and wheel/tire upgrades!

OP
OP
16 GT MM/Auto

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
With that said, what A/S tires WOULD cut it for those of us that a) DD their cars b) dont wanna replace tires every 10-15K and c) live where the temps drop below 40* for the winter months? Im looking very heavily at replacing the stock summer tires on my PP 15GT with Continental DWS06's but have been researching my options lately.

Matt
You're in the same boat I'm in.

If I go with A/S (instead of getting a snow set up) it's either the DSW06's or the General G-MAX AS-03's from the Tire Rack. DSW's are supposed to be slightly better in light snow, but the General's are less expensive.

... You see car mags do comparisons of cars and pick one model with perf tires and one with all weather tires and marvel that the one with perf tires performs well... when in fact if the other car had perf tires on, they would probably handle better.
Yup, MT just did this with the Camaro RS:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/1500-speed-secret-three-adds-much/

... I still say .9 is absolutely amazing. I remember in the 90's and 2000's when the top performers in the world were in the upper .9's ...
Back in the day I had a new 85 GT that Car & Driver tested at .85g's with the Gatorbacks. lol How times have changed.

I would love to find a skid pad with a 300 ft. painted oval and see what car does the suspension and wheel/tire upgrades!
[sneeks into mall parking lot a 2 am with chalk and 150 ft of string] :D

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a non-PP GT with the base wheels+tires and I'd be very surprised to see better than .8.

OP
OP
16 GT MM/Auto

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Well, C&D said 0.83g?

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
My track prepared GT PP, Eibach suspension, M Pilot Sport Cup 2's regularly perform at 1.28 g at Pacific Raceway and The Ridge, both with excellent asphalt surface. That makes a difference, the surface structure.
Sponsored