Ford Authority says Coyote may be replaced by 4.8

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/so...o-feature-dual-injection-replace-5-0l-coyote/

What are your thoughts on this?

Ford Authority said:
Should the refreshed, 2018 Ford F-150 and 2018 Ford Mustang bow at next month’s Detroit North American International Auto Show as we’re expecting, both cars might have the same new, normally-aspirated 4.8-liter V8 wedged under their hoods.

The engine, which was alluded to during discussions of the new labor contract between Unifor and Ford Canada, will outright replace the 5.0-liter “Coyote” V8 currently found in both the Ford F-150 and Mustang GT, according to an unnamed source. The same source tells us that this new engine will feature dual injection – that is, both direct and port fuel injection – to achieve greater efficiency than the outgoing 5.0L...

...The combination of both dual injection, and variable valve timing like that found on the Coyote, should permit a higher compression ratio than the Coyote’s respectable 11.0:1. With higher compression generally comes more power, meaning that the new 4.8L could well outperform the 5.0, despite its slightly smaller displacement...
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
As long as the car is faster without obtrusive low RPM lag, I really don't care. IMHO, the 5.0 doesn't have any nuts under 3K and that annoys me. A tune fixes that enough, though. I read the previous 5.0, being notably lighter, is actually faster down a drag strip despite having less power. Well... that sucks.

Personally, I can care less about paying homage to the "5.0 moniker" by forcing a 5.0 result from a V8 engine. I'd personally love to see a notably lighter, high-revving smaller V8 bespoke or at least starting with the Mustang ideally with a small turbo that helps the engine produce torque down low ultimately to achieve 500 BHP with a very dominating power curve with torque numbers that are much closer to the HP than they are in the 5.0. I'd hope the front end of the car gets a little shorter, too. This is a VERY long car with very little to speak of for interior space. Looks great, but that big long hood and all that weight up front could use some trimming, IMHO, to help with understeer.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Wait and see what happens. If the engine performs better than the Coyote, I do not see a problem. But I will wait for the reveal and then worry about the fate of the 5.0.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang will not received a downsized Coyote. The 4.8 was being developed for F-150 only and last information was that it was being bumped back up to 5.0L after the increase in displacement saw both power and avg. fuel economy gains. The other part about the fuel system is very credible for both platforms.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I want a twin turbo 3.5 option! I miss that instant tq grunt down low.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If you think catbacks are expensive for our V8s - wait until you have to pay for one for a V6 that sounds remotely good. >$2K real quick! Haha.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I want a 427.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
As long as the car is faster without obtrusive low RPM lag, I really don't care. IMHO, the 5.0 doesn't have any nuts under 3K and that annoys me. A tune fixes that enough, though. I read the previous 5.0, being notably lighter, is actually faster down a drag strip despite having less power. Well... that sucks.

Personally, I can care less about paying homage to the "5.0 moniker" by forcing a 5.0 result from a V8 engine. I'd personally love to see a notably lighter, high-revving smaller V8 bespoke or at least starting with the Mustang ideally with a small turbo that helps the engine produce torque down low ultimately to achieve 500 BHP with a very dominating power curve with torque numbers that are much closer to the HP than they are in the 5.0. I'd hope the front end of the car gets a little shorter, too. This is a VERY long car with very little to speak of for interior space. Looks great, but that big long hood and all that weight up front could use some trimming, IMHO, to help with understeer.
Dont believe everything you read. Ive yet to see a proven slip from an s197 coyote going faster then 12.5 100% stock or without weight reduction . All the fastest s197s were in negative DA and 1/4 tank gas.. Fastest s550 ive seen ( in person too )in 1000 Da with 3/4 tank gas 100% stock is 12.4 @114 with a 1.8 60ft, its an m6 too. Hes not a fan of forums so hes definitely not on here. A buddy of mine has a 12 gt tp (255s on new OE rubber) with the 3.73s and even switching drivers my s550 didnt lose with me driving or with him. His car has 20k on it so its far from tired. I have a 17 gt m6 3.31 base.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Direct injection does resist knock a lot more. Loved running my LNF at .88 lambda during WOT on 27psi. The port injection is only there to keep the intake valves clean...DI engines get dirty really really fast...

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
As long as its factory supercharged with nice low end torque i m in! I would rather have a twin turbo v6 though! 470 hp and 470 lbft from a Raptor engine!!! It can be done:D

Do it!

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
1995-1996 was the only time that the new engine produced less power than the prior one, right? Why are we doing this again?
the 4.6 liter introduced in '96 had the exact same numbers as the outgoing 5.0 (at least on paper).

Why are you assuming the the 4.8L would have less power than the coyote?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Direct injection, higher compression, higher rev. Sounds good.

jim-5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base
I'm sure they can build a 4.8 that makes more power than the current 5.0 but I'd feel better if the rumor said the new engine was going to be a 5.2 rather than a 4.8
It sure would be nice to see about 475 hp.
Sponsored