• Total voters

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Now you guys get me started. The new Mustang has, like most new cars these days, a sensor what shows the lifespan of the engine oil. Ford does say, that an oil change should be made every 10,000 miles / 16,000 km. You guys ignoring this, with changing the oil. The sensor should, like in our old Mercedes, show if you have to change earlier. BTW: Oil never gets bad. It gets dirty. Yes. If you could filter the oil - what some companies do - you could use it endless. Our company did send in samples of the semi trucks engine oil and a LAB result said that the oil is good for 80,000 km / 50,000 miles before the oil has to be changed. And yes. I know. If someone likes, he could change the oil every 10 miles.

I am wondering why you guys don't check the display for the lifespan of the oil. :shrug: There is a point that we have that these days. :cheers:

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, I plan to change oil & filter at 1,000 - 1500 miles and then about every 6,000 after that. I'll install Mobil 1 synthetic and wix filters. If you want to know why I choose these and learn about your favorite oil, follow the links below;

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Gasoline

TBN is the amount of additives in the oil that determine the maximum duration between oil changes. When it gets to 1.0, it's time to change. Regardless of how long you can run run oil, factory warranty dictates when it's prudent to change.

The other link tests a number of things but the ones of most interest are wear protection and thermal break down.

Read and enjoy! :)

Jim

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I do know most of it. I was only wondering why actually non of the car manufacturers is changing the oil like you mentioned. I did ask FORD but they said the engines do not need an oil change at 1,000 km/1,000 miles anymore. I remember that it was mandatory on new engines. Ford said that the first one at 5,000 miles/8,000 km is early enough and from there every 10,000 miles / 16,000 km. :shrug:

Sponsored

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do know most of it. I was only wondering why actually non of the car manufacturers is changing the oil like you mentioned. I did ask FORD but they said the engines do not need an oil change at 1,000 km/1,000 miles anymore. I remember that it was mandatory on new engines. Ford said that the first one at 5,000 miles/8,000 km is early enough and from there every 10,000 miles / 16,000 km. :shrug:
No disagreement. :) The early oil change is simply to get the breakin materials out of the filter. I spent the 1st half of my professional career working in dealerships and doing custom engine building at a machine shop. Honestly, with the precision machining available today, the early oil change probably isn't a big deal.

This is a retirement "fun" car for me and will be used a lot differently than many that post here. However, I'm planning of keeping the car for a long time and the early oil change is cheap insurance of long engine life, IMHO.

The car came with an included lifetime power train warranty so I don't know why I worry about it. :doh: Old habits are hard to break and oil is cheap compared to everything else.

Jim

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost

The car came with an included lifetime power train warranty so I don't know why I worry about it. :doh: Old habits are hard to break and oil is cheap compared to everything else.

Jim
I agree with you too. I am an old guy with 51 and remember the old days. Looking to Germany, Ford is asking to service the car every 20,000 km / 12,500 miles or 12 month. Yes. In Germany there are mountains too and we have the high speed Autobahn. In the old days it was half the numbers. VW is asking to service their cars every 30,000 km or 24 month?

Looks like I am getting to old. :headbonk:

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you too. I am an old guy with 51 and remember the old days. Looking to Germany, Ford is asking to service the car every 20,000 km / 12,500 miles or 12 month. Yes. In Germany there are mountains too and we have the high speed Autobahn. In the old days it was half the numbers. VW is asking to service their cars every 30,000 km or 24 month?

Looks like I am getting to old. :headbonk:
Actually, I've been following your posts since I'm interested in getting an Access port once it gets a few miles on it. One of my concerns has been getting 91 - 93 octane fuel when traveling. No problem here in the Midwest but heading west to the coast, it gets spotty. I suspect, the economy setting would be just fine on 87 since it holds the wastegate open effectively eliminating any boost or increased octane demands.

Have you played with any lower octane fuel on yours?

One other accessory that has my interest is the UPR oil catch can. That seems to correct issues with DI and turbo engines.

Thanks!

Jim

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I actually can't play with my Access Port V3 in the moment. Icy and snow covered roads with gravel on top. I did ask my sales guy to put premium fuel in the tank. No idea if he did it. Since day one, i fill up 91 but I can't figure out if there was a different "feeling" in driving. I drive mostly in snow mode. I did play with the modes when driving. In normal you can feel the power and if you switch in snow mode - you can really feel how the car gets on his knees.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the Mustang with the intention to leave it parked on snowy crappy days. I have a new Outback for daily duty and nasty days. The Mustang will be a fun car and will probably see a few trips since it rides so good. A true "gentleman's" sports car. This is the 1st American car I've owned in 20 years. So far I'm very impressed.

Enjoy your Mustang!

Jim

Sponsored

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Now you guys get me started. The new Mustang has, like most new cars these days, a sensor what shows the lifespan of the engine oil. Ford does say, that an oil change should be made every 10,000 miles / 16,000 km. You guys ignoring this, with changing the oil. The sensor should, like in our old Mercedes, show if you have to change earlier. BTW: Oil never gets bad. It gets dirty. Yes. If you could filter the oil - what some companies do - you could use it endless. Our company did send in samples of the semi trucks engine oil and a LAB result said that the oil is good for 80,000 km / 50,000 miles before the oil has to be changed. And yes. I know. If someone likes, he could change the oil every 10 miles.

I am wondering why you guys don't check the display for the lifespan of the oil. :shrug: There is a point that we have that these days. :cheers:
Yes, I am aware, but, as someone else stated, old habits are hard to break. Besides, almost every car I've owned has broken the 250,000 mile mark and was still running excelently, so why mess with a good thing?

mitchcarino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2015
Guys, great thread. I'm really thankfull for your posts. Not as old as you guys. I'm 36, but I have been saving up for a mustang since I began to work. I also plan to keep it for as long as I live. This is why I read these blogs, I think everyone here has more esperience than me.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Its getting changed now. 2,700 miles. Amsoil with motorcraft filter.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I have been reading lots of posts and info on BITOG forum. I am still undecided on what oil to use for my car when I make the change at 1000 miles. I bought a magnetic plug as well, just because I like it, but the oil I definitely want to go full synthetic. In the past I have used M1 EP exclusively and changed it prior to 5k miles. Its hot in Florida, I dont quite baby the car, neither do I drive it like i stole it, but would like the best protection. I have heard of Amsoil, Penzoil Ultra, M1 EP, Redline, I just dont know what to pick.
Additionally, I have read of some coyotes burning oil, yay.... Hopefully this is not the case for me, crossing fingers. Any insight/help/opinions would be appreciated.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have been reading lots of posts and info on BITOG forum. I am still undecided on what oil to use for my car when I make the change at 1000 miles. I bought a magnetic plug as well, just because I like it, but the oil I definitely want to go full synthetic. In the past I have used M1 EP exclusively and changed it prior to 5k miles. Its hot in Florida, I dont quite baby the car, neither do I drive it like i stole it, but would like the best protection. I have heard of Amsoil, Penzoil Ultra, M1 EP, Redline, I just dont know what to pick.
Additionally, I have read of some coyotes burning oil, yay.... Hopefully this is not the case for me, crossing fingers. Any insight/help/opinions would be appreciated.
I'm going to be putting in Pennzoil Ultra when I hit 1500-2000 miles. Already sitting in the garage.
Sponsored