First Ford: 2017 GT350R

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have to say that these are some of the best seats I've ever sat in, and I've sat in a lot of seats.

Also, does anyone have production numbers by year for the R? I searched but couldn't seem to find anything definitive.
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Beautiful R

Congrats

And it looks like and early 90s C2
Great job! That's what I saw, based on the rear lights. I couldn't tell it was a Targa, though, based on the picture.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say that these are some of the best seats I've ever sat in, and I've sat in a lot of seats.

Also, does anyone have production numbers by year for the R? I searched but couldn't seem to find anything definitive.
I haven't seen anything here on 2017 production numbers yet.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark

Hey Tommy,

Here is a sweet thread on the 2016 breakout:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75727&highlight=2016+production

I think we are all anxiously awaiting the 2017 numbers...last I saw count was in the 600s and projected to be ~1k by someone in the know at Flat Rock.

Sponsored

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
Nice Tommy, congrats on the BASE R!

Love your 964 as well, I had a 94' for 10 years - only thing I ever did was oil changes! Bulletproof, smell great and slam those doors baby, CLINK!

You'll love the R, the engine just revs and revs, it makes A LOT OF noise, pops (ride the gas a little while engine braking) Cold starts scare animals, children, adults. . I have proof. Cant really go wrong with the R model, likes to pull/tramline a lot on freeways and ruts, so nice to keep firm hands on wheel.

Keep us posted on your adventures!

abcut973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG Black Series, ML350 Bluetech
Looks like CJ's old R. Did you buy at porsche Fresno ?
Congrats and enjoy in good health!

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looks like CJ's old R. Did you buy at porsche Fresno ?
Congrats and enjoy in good health!
That's the one. There were some... I'll call them frustrations... getting the sale finalized and car delivered. But in the end I'm happy, the car is perfect, and the sound is intoxicating.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nice Tommy, congrats on the BASE R!

Love your 964 as well, I had a 94' for 10 years - only thing I ever did was oil changes! Bulletproof, smell great and slam those doors baby, CLINK!

You'll love the R, the engine just revs and revs, it makes A LOT OF noise, pops (ride the gas a little while engine braking) Cold starts scare animals, children, adults. . I have proof. Cant really go wrong with the R model, likes to pull/tramline a lot on freeways and ruts, so nice to keep firm hands on wheel.

Keep us posted on your adventures!
I was trying to describe the sound/feel the doors make when being closed to someone and they looked at me like I was crazy.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was trying to describe the sound/feel the doors make when being closed to someone and they looked at me like I was crazy.
Air cooled 911s and the Mercedes 450SL series have the best door closure feel and sound, IMO. Porsche 944s are pretty good, too.

I remember reading somewhere that the original 911 door design hasn't changed since it's introduction, so they asked a Porsche engineer why? He shrugged and said "It's a good door".

abcut973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG Black Series, ML350 Bluetech
That's the one. There were some... I'll call them frustrations... getting the sale finalized and car delivered. But in the end I'm happy, the car is perfect, and the sound is intoxicating.
I bet it sounds good! I thought the car had less than 500 miles or something close to it but under 1000 miles?
I'm glad at the end the deal went through.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So after getting a few hundred miles on the car, here are my first impressions:

1. The engine noise is intoxicating. I don't know why they even have a "quiet" mode.

1A. Speaking of quiet mode, even in the track setting, occasionally the exhaust flaps seems to close after getting off the throttle then back on. I've read that sometimes they can stick and the dealer might need to adjust/reset them. Is that accurate? Anything I can do with wd40 to try?

2. Chassis is very, very good. It reminds me most of my F80 M3, although is a little more playful (the F80 was good to the point of being boring).

3. Brakes. Wow. Feel is better than the BBK and upgraded master I have in my M Coupe track car. I can't wait to get this out on the track to see if they hold up.

4. It gets more smiles and thumbs up than any car I've owned. I'm guessing it's mostly the exhaust and black stripes, but still fun that others can 'enjoy' the car as I drive by.

5. Haven't run into any crowds of people yet. Not sure if there is a setting for this or what.

6. Sounds like the AC/Radio Delete is somewhat rare on a 2017. As I said originally, this is how I would have spec'd the car to begin with, but still cool to know.

7. Steering is precise, but lacks feedback. Doesn't hold a candle to the hydraulically assisted Porsches. Is there a cheat to disable the assist entirely? I imagine with the wide tires it would not be fun at low speeds, but I would still like to try it.

8. The rear bumper seems to be sagging about a mm from the trunk/rear quarter panels. I looked in the trunk and it doesn't look like it was ever damaged or replaced. Is this common? Is there any sort of "fix"? Or just one of those things I'm going to have to curb my OCD on?

I'm planning on detailing it then doing a bit of a photo shoot this evening.

FHGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

8. The rear bumper seems to be sagging about a mm from the trunk/rear quarter panels. I looked in the trunk and it doesn't look like it was ever damaged or replaced. Is this common? Is there any sort of "fix"? Or just one of those things I'm going to have to curb my OCD on?

This is a common problem. It can be adjusted but will likely continue to sag over time. It's a poorly designed attachment between the bumper and fender. I had mine adjusted before I took delivery on both my 350 and 350R.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

1. The engine noise is intoxicating. I don't know why they even have a "quiet" mode.

1A. Speaking of quiet mode, even in the track setting, occasionally the exhaust flaps seems to close after getting off the throttle then back on. I've read that sometimes they can stick and the dealer might need to adjust/reset them. Is that accurate? Anything I can do with wd40 to try?

2. Chassis is very, very good. It reminds me most of my F80 M3, although is a little more playful (the F80 was good to the point of being boring).

3. Brakes. Wow. Feel is better than the BBK and upgraded master I have in my M Coupe track car. I can't wait to get this out on the track to see if they hold up.

4. It gets more smiles and thumbs up than any car I've owned. I'm guessing it's mostly the exhaust and black stripes, but still fun that others can 'enjoy' the car as I drive by.

5. Haven't run into any crowds of people yet. Not sure if there is a setting for this or what.

6. Sounds like the AC/Radio Delete is somewhat rare on a 2017. As I said originally, this is how I would have spec'd the car to begin with, but still cool to know.

7. Steering is precise, but lacks feedback. Doesn't hold a candle to the hydraulically assisted Porsches. Is there a cheat to disable the assist entirely? I imagine with the wide tires it would not be fun at low speeds, but I would still like to try it.

5. Wait for it

7. Maybe a fuse you can pull? might send the car into limp though
Sponsored