Sponsored

First disaster - snapped hood bolt

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Plan B. drill out hole and use a M6 riv nut, then double sided m6 stud from ace hardware...
I then screwed the hem nut back on and used a paint pen to paint it up. looks like new!!
Think you're the first to do this type of fix. Got any photos of the Rivnut installed?
Sponsored

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Think you're the first to do this type of fix. Got any photos of the Rivnut installed?
I wish I had taken photos, but no, I don’t. If you literally just drill through the center of the original hood stud, make a hole, and the riv nut will drop right into place.
I did use a Dremel and slightly grind down the protruding riv nut that now stuck up about an eight inch above the surrounding hood so that it would fit in the square pattern of the hood hinge

2abd0540-7528-4a7f-911d-6325b3f4f3df.jpeg

cb6e5a56-1c4e-4e55-8036-f0646d87b97c.jpeg

IMG_2855.png

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Hey all I have just been through this. planned to drill down the bolt, tap it out, re-thread it, and put in a double sided bolt so I can retain the some washer/nut. Turns out what's under there is a bolt and washer welded together so not thick enough...
Plan B. drill out hole and use a M6 riv nut, then double sided m6 stud from ace hardware...
I then screwed the hem nut back on and used a paint pen to paint it up. looks like new!!

IMG_2734.png

IMG_2736.jpeg

IMG_2827.jpeg
wow looks like a great fix, i am no where near experienced enough to do this myself abut ill keep this in mind in case my performance shop doesnt know what to do tommorow morning, thanks!

for now i like the option of just welding the broken bolt back on and retightening the nut again.

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
wow looks like a great fix, i am no where near experienced enough to do this myself abut ill keep this in mind in case my performance shop doesnt know what to do tommorow morning, thanks!

for now i like the option of just welding the broken bolt back on and retightening the nut again.
My performance shop said they can’t weld the bolt back on, I know this is possible obviously cause you guys did it. So does anyone know a welder in the miami area that I can go to? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

edit: nevermind just misheard my guy lol, performance shop isn’t sure if they will weld it but they know they can fix it for sure they just can’t do it today so I’ll havta wait till next week, will update you guys all then.

Last edited:

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
My performance shop said they can’t weld the bolt back on, I know this is possible obviously cause you guys did it. So does anyone know a welder in the miami area that I can go to? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

edit: nevermind just misheard my guy lol, performance shop isn’t sure if they will weld it but they know they can fix it for sure they just can’t do it today so I’ll havta wait till next week, will update you guys all then.
Let me know how it goes with your shop. I’m also in Miami and maybe I can help. I’m not a professional mechanic by any means though. I just went through the situation myself…

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I had a feeling it was getting too tight but I put too much trust in the tool. I'll take that advice once I get this fixed.
Hopefully that wasn’t the same harbor freight special that broke my strut bar stud on my 2016. Not a good feeling.

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Let me know how it goes with your shop. I’m also in Miami and maybe I can help. I’m not a professional mechanic by any means though. I just went through the situation myself…
How did u fix it and did it turn out well? Because my shop even though they say they can fix it I’d feel better taking it to someone who actually did the exact same thing themselves.
Let me know. Willing to pay very well
Sponsored