DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
That's a ft lbs wrench.
First, they are notoriously inaccurate in the very low range.
Second, 17 ft lbs seems awfully high for those bolts, 7 ft lbs (84 inch lbs) sounds like a better guess.
In any case, that big of a torque wrench is not the right tool for that job.
Yep. My thoughts also. Investment in 1/4" drive, inch pound torque wrench for smaller lbs in settings. Hood bolts are M6 x 1.0 studs. Ouch

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Are rhe hinge and the hood both aluminum? If not then I don't think that it's possible to weld aluminum to steel. At least not easily.
The bolts are plenty strong enough to hold the hood to the hinge. The issue isn't their holding strength it's the over torqueing them that's the issue.
Makes sense thanks, well hopefully my shop can find a fix or someone else can weld my broken bolt back on…

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yep. My thoughts also. Investment in 1/4" drive, inch pound torque wrench for smaller lbs in settings. Hood bolts are M6 x 1.0 studs. Ouch
I just measured the hood hinge studs on my 2015 with a caliper and they are clearly 8 mm diameter. So the 2018+ Mustangs have the 6 mm studs, and that's why the torque spec is lower for them as shown in post #33. I still wouldn't torque to 17 ft-lbs specified for the 2015-2017 models, but would rather use 13-14 ft-lbs on the 8 mm studs.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So can it be welded to the hood reliably then?
Some have said in earlier posts that a threaded stud can be welded to the broken stud if there's enough there to do so and you find a good welder.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
They are steel. Check with a magnet.
I just checked. The hood is aluminum. In the hinge area the aluminum is sandwiched between the metal hinge and a steel backing plate. He would be trying to weld the metal hinge to the aluminum hood skin. The only way welding might work is to weld the hinge to the remains of the stud through the hole in the hinge.
Honestly I don't know why anyone would want to make such a permanent attachment there. I'd much rather weld a threaded rod to the remainder of the broken one or carefully drill the remainder out and put a nut sert in.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked. The hood is aluminum. In the hinge area the aluminum is sandwiched between the metal hinge and a steel backing plate. He would be trying to weld the metal hinge to the aluminum hood skin. The only way welding might work is to weld the hinge to the remains of the stud through the hole in the hinge.
Honestly I don't know why anyone would want to make such a permanent attachment there. I'd much rather weld a threaded rod to the remainder of the broken one or carefully drill the remainder out and put a nut sert in.
Yeah, the correct fix isn't to weld the steel hinge to the aluminum hood skin. I only answered the question of the hinge and stud where steel or aluminum. They are steel.

I don't think a "nut sert" will work ... doesn't look like enough meat on the hood side to install on like they are designed to be installed. Nobody in this thread has shown one being used yet as a fix.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
There's plenty of "meat" if you include the backing plate. The reason it would be a last resort for me is having to drill the stud through the backing plate. I'm assuming the stud is either press fit or intragal to the backing plate. I'd want a very secure collar or something on the drill bit so I didn't accidentally damage the outer skin. If it wasn't for fear of damaging the outer skin an insert would probably be my first choice. Done properly they are very secure.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I don't see any benefit in trying to torque this to a certain spec. I just used very small 1/4 ratchet with careful hand torque. Those bolts are idiotic.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's plenty of "meat" if you include the backing plate. The reason it would be a last resort for me is having to drill the stud through the backing plate. I'm assuming the stud is either press fit or intragal to the backing plate. I'd want a very secure collar or something on the drill bit so I didn't accidentally damage the outer skin. If it wasn't for fear of damaging the outer skin an insert would probably be my first choice. Done properly they are very secure.
How thick is the metal backing plate inside the hood structure where a Nutsert would have to go? Plus, how you going to drill out the snapped off stud perfectly with causing more chaos. Only way I'd ever attempt that kind of fix would by removing the hood so it could be worked on easier. Nobody that I've seen in this thread as tried the Nutsert or similar fix.

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Some have said in earlier posts that a threaded stud can be welded to the broken stud if there's enough there to do so and you find a good welder.
yea got it was just asking to know. I will see what my performance shop sais tommorow and update you guys, wish me luck.

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Hey all I have just been through this. planned to drill down the bolt, tap it out, re-thread it, and put in a double sided bolt so I can retain the some washer/nut. Turns out what's under there is a bolt and washer welded together so not thick enough...
Plan B. drill out hole and use a M6 riv nut, then double sided m6 stud from ace hardware...
I then screwed the hem nut back on and used a paint pen to paint it up. looks like new!!

IMG_2734.png

IMG_2736.jpeg

IMG_2827.jpeg
Sponsored