Sponsored

Fibers on black, trunk/deck panel?

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
So, we all know the gloss black, plastic trunk panel attracts all dust in a 100ft radius of the vehicle, but does anyone else notice fibers in the dust?

I've noticed in my last 3-4 washes what looked like tiny, straight, fibers all over the panel. At first, I thought these were dog hairs, as we crated our dogs in the garage until just before the summer heat came on here in GA. But they've been inside for months now, and upon closer inspection, the fibers are definitely not from our dogs (wrong color, length, & texture).

They're a couple mils long, nearly translucent, and straight. Almost like fiberglass. Anyone else notice this? Not truly concerned, but it's a mystery.
Sponsored

2015MagneticGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Comp Orange
Weird, I have seen the same thing. It's def not from my towels either.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
So, we all know the gloss black, plastic trunk panel attracts all dust in a 100ft radius of the vehicle, but does anyone else notice fibers in the dust?

I've noticed in my last 3-4 washes what looked like tiny, straight, fibers all over the panel. At first, I thought these were dog hairs, as we crated our dogs in the garage until just before the summer heat came on here in GA. But they've been inside for months now, and upon closer inspection, the fibers are definitely not from our dogs (wrong color, length, & texture).

They're a couple mils long, nearly translucent, and straight. Almost like fiberglass. Anyone else notice this? Not truly concerned, but it's a mystery.
Probably fibers from your towels.

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
Weird! SO glad someone else has mentioned this.

I saw the very same thing here the first few months I had my car. Definitely NOT fibers from towels. I think we could all have figured that out.

They look like small fiberglass filaments, best way I can describe them. Usually on the rear of the car, particularly the panel between the tail lights. They really showed up after a long road trip.

I don't think they show up any more, though I also haven't been driving the car as much.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
How do you know it is not fibers from the towel? When I started blow drying my car with a leaf blower, mysteriously, no more fibers.

Sponsored

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
How do you know it is not fibers from the towel? When I started blow drying my car with a leaf blower, mysteriously, no more fibers.
You would have to see them. They really are not fibers, they are more like filaments, slightly wider in the middle and thin at the ends and completely straight.

I actually never use towels, only artificial chamois to dry. Also keep in mind, these fibers show up after long drives when the car has other dirt/debris.

If they show back up, I'll post some pics. I know it's hard to describe, but these absolutely are not fibers from a towel.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you what they are. They are pieces of fiberglass coming from the packing in your mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I'll tell you what they are. They are pieces of fiberglass coming from the packing in your mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is sounds like what they kindof look like. I know it's not from towels because I've found those; they look different and they're all over the car. These other fibers are only on the back panel.

Could be this comes from "new" ish muffler packing and it stops after some time? I have 3k miles and still have them.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
This is sounds like what they kindof look like. I know it's not from towels because I've found those; they look different and they're all over the car. These other fibers are only on the back panel.

Could be this comes from "new" ish muffler packing and it stops after some time? I have 3k miles and still have them.

I'm getting them on my car and it's definitely fiberglass from muffs. It will go away eventually.