Sponsored

Fake GT's?

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Being old and having driven cars with "GT" on them that were not Fords/or even Mustangs, here is the correct dictionary definition and, yes, it is Italian, used on many Ferrari's, long before Ford put it on a Mustang.

GT
abbreviation
gran turismo: a high-performance luxury sports car with a hard fixed roof, designed for covering long distances

So, as you can see, "GT" can fit any Mustang. Ford simply used it to define the one with big V8. I personally have debadged my cars as "Sleepers" were the thing when I was young. We never advertised what were running, and I like the clean look. Police tend to ignore the one with no emblems and quiet pipes. But each to his/her own. Whatever makes your boat float.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Being old and having driven cars with "GT" on them that were not Fords/or even Mustangs, here is the correct definition and, yes, it is Italian, used on many Ferrari's, long before Ford put it on a Mustang.

GT
abbreviation
gran turismo: a high-performance luxury sports car with a hard fixed roof, designed for covering long distances

So, as you can see, "GT" can fit any Mustang. Ford simply used it to define the one with big V8.
:lol::frusty::lol::headbonk::lol: Here is the justification/explanation we've all been looking for.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
It just sets up the next guy to hear how he stomped a 2015 Mustang GT with his 2010 2SS Camaro... Little did he know it was a 4 popper! (prob gave him a good run)

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
People like dressing up cars. Nothing wrong with that. I want a GT350R steering wheel for my (soon to be) GT/CS. We change our heads, tails, bumpers, etc. But what bugs the shit out of me is when a guy is selling a V6 for GT. I am sure most out there probably know the difference, but there is one born every day....:doh:

This is in a local buy/sell site......:tsk:
v6 gt.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Being old and having driven cars with "GT" on them that were not Fords/or even Mustangs, here is the correct dictionary definition and, yes, it is Italian, used on many Ferrari's, long before Ford put it on a Mustang.

GT
abbreviation

So, as you can see, "GT" can fit any Mustang. Ford simply used it to define the one with big V8.
This reminds me of a story. The first brand new car I ever bought was a 2000 pontiac grand prix GT 2 door. It was a nice car for a 20 year old that bought it himself, and with a few exterior accents (and of course, a bangin stereo) it turned heads at times.

There was a friend of a friend who had the other grand prix (which i can't recall. had the smaller V6), 4 door. it had ugly wheels, no spoiler,no ground effects, etc. And what did he do? Started buying crap to make it look like my GT. And, he would always chat me up as if he has the same car. Drove me nuts.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Who do you think is buying up all these stock GT grilles?

Go to a car event sometime with new Mustangs. You'll see what appears to be a line of Mustang GTs based on the grilles. But then you'll notice that 6 of those 7 are lacking heat extractors on the hood, and are actually Ecoboosts.
Nothing wrong with that. I think the GT grille looks much better and plan on getting one for my EB. Not trying to pass it off as a fake GT since I have the 2.3T badges; just not a fan of the EB grille.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
How about those buying GT350 steering wheels ? ;-)

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have SVO badges on my EBM but that is a homage to the SVO not a claiming my car is one, or is something out of the ball park either, and Simmons over in the other forums has a Shelby tribute car that was I believe a 3.7 but he actually on top of all the shelby touch ups shoved a 427 in there so I have no problem with tribute vehicles, but yeah throw a new edge cobra front end and rear bumper on a 3.8 and passing it off or putting GT badges when you do not even have the power plant is a stretch.

The other stuff like scoops etc, thats just plain dress up and I do not mind that as its the owners preference to what looks good to them imo.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I saw a few Fake Boss 302's after I got my Boss. I guess some say tribute, and it is a form of flattery. I agree somewhat, but there are clones out there that are pretending to be the real deal, and I hate that.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
saw a bmw here with M3 badges all over the damn thing.

unfortunately he didnt clean off the dirt around the very clean part of the rear that outlined 328i.

Also saw an older v6 mustang with cobra badges all over it but still rocking the single tip exhaust out the right side.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Fake badges to me is like putting a sock down the front of your pants....false advertising!