Explain to me drone

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
I feel like I know what it means, but I don't know that I have ever experienced it. I have Flowmaster 70's on my car and when I take my Diablosport off, it definitely sounds different, especially inside at city street speeds. It was one of those things I had to get used to coming from an exhaust you couldn't hear at all inside. With the tune on it, it sounds better in an out.

The other day, a guy drove his buddy to pick up his 16 GTCS from me and he had a Flowmaster Outlaw on his 15 GT and it sounded sick, best I've heard on a Coyote, but he said it droned really bad, made it hard to have a conversation or listen to the radio. I guess I should have asked for a ride.

I'm thinking it's that kind of vibration you feel in your head.
Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
It's basically noise at part throttle. People only want to hear the exhaust while actively rolling into the pedal and have it quiet during steady state.

Furthermore, every exhaust system has an RPM (usually a small range) where the frequency pulsates through the cabin and you don't want this to be in your cruising range.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it's an annoying noise that is constantly reverberating.

drone is not tone

tone is not drone

there is a difference

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
To put it simply, it's the exhaust humming fairly loudly in the cabin (and outside) while you are cruising at a steady speed.

It can be cool when you are young, but gets really old quick. Especially when trying to have a conversation or listen to music cleanly.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Its when you cruising and all you hear is exhaust making it hard to have a conversation with the passenger.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Drone is a steady-state (cruising) harmonic resonance within the cabin. It will be a boomy, annoying hum that you can hear and feel. It usually occurs within a relatively narrow (200-300 rpm) engine speed band, one that happens to often coincide with highway speeds.

Basically, the sound exiting the exhaust manifold is at the right frequency and amplitude for the exhaust system lengths & restriction so that the sound gets further amplified. This can be addressed by adding Helmholtz resonators (see Solo Performance catback, or member zackmd1's V6 muffler delete project) of a tuned length corresponding to the engine speed at which you hear the drone.

This should not be confused with the overall loudness or tone of an exhaust when accelerating.

OP
OP
Texican1911

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
Drone is a steady-state (cruising) harmonic resonance within the cabin. It will be a boomy, annoying hum that you can hear and feel. It usually occurs within a relatively narrow (200-300 rpm) engine speed band, one that happens to often coincide with highway speeds.
That's what I meant :headbonk: So yeah, basically what mine does on stock tune.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.

Basically, the sound exiting the exhaust manifold is at the right frequency and amplitude for the exhaust system lengths & restriction so that the sound gets further amplified. This can be addressed by adding Helmholtz resonators (see Solo Performance catback, or member zackmd1's V6 muffler delete project) of a tuned length corresponding to the engine speed at which you hear the drone.

This should not be confused with the overall loudness or tone of an exhaust when accelerating.
...And THAT's the professor/scientific version! Well said :cheers:

Sponsored

SSLByron

Media Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leftlanenews.com
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard GT PP
I'm thinking it's that kind of vibration you feel in your head.
Absolutely. It can even create the sensation that you need to get your ears to pop, even if you actually don't.

Nailed it.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Removing a resonator is a step in the direction of more drone. They are designed to help tune it out. A catback system designed properly seems to eliminate a lot of that. Building an exhaust system piecemeal is going to be a crapshoot. You can have something welded up and you might get lucky, or not. IMO, a person sensitive to drone would probably be better served by either installing a catback in kit form or sticking with an axle back.
Sponsored