Sponsored

Exhaust question

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Other than the obvious audible difference, are there any performance or other differences between the two exhaust modes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Performance, no. The valve opens at WOT in "normal" mode so there's no flow difference there.

Besides outright volume, the overall tone does change to be more on the raspy side.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I asked one of the Ford engineers this question when they debuted the cars at Laguna Seca. He said that in normal mode there is enough restriction to cause overheating issues under heavy load (ie. track conditions). If the muffler is designed the same way as other active systems, when the valve is closed exhaust follows a reverse flow path during which the gases make two 180 degree turns before exiting the single pipes. When the valve is open the majority of exhaust flows straight out, unimpeded.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I asked one of the Ford engineers this question when they debuted the cars at Laguna Seca. He said that in normal mode there is enough restriction to cause overheating issues under heavy load (ie. track conditions). If the muffler is designed the same way as other active systems, when the valve is closed exhaust follows a reverse flow path during which the gases make two 180 degree turns before exiting the single pipes. When the valve is open the majority of exhaust flows straight out, unimpeded.
ahhh its to cool down the pipes :headbonk:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
yeah and by default they open on their own at WOT. Also seem to be open during a cold start and then close.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
yeah and by default they open on their own at WOT. Also seem to be open during a cold start and then close.
I love that they do this. A nice angry snarl upon start-up to get the blood pumpin.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think that depends on the last driving mode that you turned the car off from. And when everything resets when you put the car back into power/accessory mode and fire it up, the valves close along with the reset of the driving mode.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I also know some GM guys have burned out their NPP modules because they didn't open up their valves on a track day for instance. Why you'd kill switch your NPP on a track is beyond me...

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
ahhh its to cool down the pipes :headbonk:
Not exactly. At high speeds the back pressure in normal mode would increase the parasitic load on the engine as it tries force out the exhaust gases, so the engine itself would run hotter.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think that depends on the last driving mode that you turned the car off from. And when everything resets when you put the car back into power/accessory mode and fire it up, the valves close along with the reset of the driving mode.
My dealer sent me a video of them unloading my car off the transporter, so pretty sure it was still in transport mode with 6 miles on the odo. Was pretty clear they are open during a cold start and then close. Will play with them a bit more once I get the car and see what happens with the different modes :cheers:
Sponsored