Ethanol-free Gas thoughts

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Planning to take delivery of my newly-ordered 5.0 in November. While it won't be my daily driver, I was planning on running ethanol-free gas in it while it will sit majority of the time. Problem is, all of the gas stations around me only offer 89 octane ethanol free fuel but I really wanted to run nothing less than 93. Questions is--Do I run 93 with ethanol and use an additive or run 89 ethanol free? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
what is the percentage of ethanol, 10% or less you have no issue

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The more ethanol. The better the car will run. This cars are designed to run on flex fuel. I'd worry more about your lawn mower not liking the flex fuel than your Mustang.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'd be more worried about the dihydrogen monoxide in gas than ethanol. Almost everything that comes into contact with that stuff dies.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would not trade octane for ethanol free.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I've tried ethanol free and I really didn't see a noticeable difference in gas mileage. I'd suggest just running quality 93. I use 93 on every fill up, with exception to road trips. Then I drop it to 87 to save on gas since everywhere is more expensive than SC lol, especially with 93

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
If this were going to be a Daily driver car, I wouldn't worry about running ethanol fuel. My concern is ethanol fuel collecting moisture in the tank while the car sits for extended periods of time. Should I just run sta-bil?

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If this were going to be a Daily driver car, I wouldn't worry about running ethanol fuel. My concern is ethanol fuel collecting moisture in the tank while the car sits for extended periods of time. Should I just run sta-bil?
It shouldn't collect moisture since there is no moisture to be collected unless the tank is open to moisture.
I think people are talking about ethanol absorbing moisture in side the tank at the gas station.

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
It shouldn't collect moisture since there is no moisture to be collected unless the tank is open to moisture.
I think people are talking about ethanol absorbing moisture in side the tank at the gas station.
Yeah, I just know that ethanol attracts water molecules over time me and that's what I'm concerned about...the car sitting with unused gas.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
the gasoline system is sealed. If you fill the car completely before storing the vehicles the amount of air is minimized and you should have no problem. I have two vehicles one from 69 the other from 71 that are stored every winter for many decades. I fill the tanks completely, throw in some dry gas, and some stabil and have never had a problem.

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since it won't be a daily driver, I would use the ethanol free gas. I know a car is more robust, but I exclusively use ethanol free in all my lawn equipment as the ethanol is corrosive to the fuel lines. And unless you have a tune, using anything more than 87 octane in these cars is a waste.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I've tried ethanol free and I really didn't see a noticeable difference in gas mileage. I'd suggest just running quality 93. I use 93 on every fill up, with exception to road trips. Then I drop it to 87 to save on gas since everywhere is more expensive than SC lol, especially with 93
I used to buy 93 without Ethanol at the station on Mathis Ferry Road, right off 17, near the Ravenel Bridge in Mount Pleasant, but stopped after awhile. I couldn't justify the extra buck or more per gallon any longer. Now, I just get Sunoco 93 octane from one of the stations in Mount P. I don't trust anything in North Charleston, where I work, unless it's an emergency.

JR

Sda3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green Performance Pack GT Premium
I'd be more worried about the dihydrogen monoxide in gas than ethanol. Almost everything that comes into contact with that stuff dies.
100 lols for you. :cheers:

Flat Stanely

Yea, it's Stanley, I know
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K.C.
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Since it won't be a daily driver, I would use the ethanol free gas. I know a car is more robust, but I exclusively use ethanol free in all my lawn equipment as the ethanol is corrosive to the fuel lines. And unless you have a tune, using anything more than 87 octane in these cars is a waste.
You do not need a tune to get benefits from 93 octane. Your car will pull timing when you run 87 to avoid predetenation using the lower octane. The octane rating refers to resistance to knocking/pinging so our cars can advance time when it has the higher octane. Knock sensors in your engine determine what you are running. That's why our 435Hp rating has an asterisk * saying achieved with premium. Just want to clarify

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Ethanol free gas...

Most Outboard motor manufacturers insist on using ethanol free gasoline. Here in Minnesota, many larger filling stations carry at least one pump that is ethanol-free. More expensive, of course. I use it in any gas engine that is going to sit for long periods of time (months?). Make sure that you top off the tank also, where do you think the air comes from when gas is used out of the tank?
Check around your area where there are a lot of fishing boats (reservoirs, or coastal marinas). You will probably find at least a few stations that carry ethanol-free gas.
Sponsored

Last edited: