Sponsored

ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Tuning is complete! Next up is race gas and a dyno date.

The car is an absolute rocket compared to my previous set-up on e85 and exhaust.

We ran into a little knock on 93 and the 115mm (8.5psi) pulley, so I added a can of Octanium to a full tank of fuel and was seeing 18-19 degrees of timing up top, so it runs very well with the added octane. This method was used to rule out false knock, which indeed proved that there was none.

If I can't find a better fuel source than the local Shell 93, I'll likely go up one pulley size just to keep things nice and safe.

If you're on the fence about this kit, do yourself a favor and take the plunge, you won't regret it! As others here have told me, just take your time during the install and pay very close attention to detail and it will all go pretty smoothly.

As far as the tuning, my tuner said "all in all it tuned very well"

Cheers!
Sponsored

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

The car is an absolute rocket compared to my previous set-up on e85 and exhaust.

We ran into a little knock on 93 and the 115mm (8.5psi) pulley, so I added a can of Octanium to a full tank of fuel and was seeing 18-19 degrees of timing up top, so it runs very well with the added octane. This method was used to rule out false knock, which indeed proved that there was none.

If I can't find a better fuel source than the local Shell 93, I'll likely go up one pulley size just to keep things nice and safe.

If you're on the fence about this kit, do yourself a favor and take the plunge, you won't regret it! As others here have told me, just take your time during the install and pay very close attention to detail and it will all go pretty smoothly.

Cheers!
That's awesome to hear, Im going to order mine in the next few months, Just booked in for Oil Pump Gears and Crank Sprocket.

I put the JMS Bap in this weekend, waiting on 1500cc injectors to get delivered.

I've got an oil cooler on the front of my car, so making the FMIC work will be interesting,
may have to move the brackets back.... We'll see **Pic of oil cooler attached**
Hoping RHD won't be an issue as well
IMG_2417.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Cheers!
Glad it went well. Where are you going for your Dyno tune?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree on the "rocket" thing. FI on a Coyote is simply amazing.

Be careful, these things can get you in trouble really quick since they can hit double digit speed in what feel like just a few seconds.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Glad it went well. Where are you going for your Dyno tune?
I'm not 100% sure just yet. I'll need to coordinate a time that will work best with my tuner and the shop in Houston. Hopefully soon. I also need to order a few pails of race gas to transport with me.

Sponsored

Jpjr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang V6 (traded)

Cheers!
Dang now that makes me nervous because I'll be on 93. I spoke to Lund and they said the 110 should ok and I had AJ at ESS switch it today. I might just need to get both the 110 and 115 after all.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Dang now that makes me nervous because I'll be on 93. I spoke to Lund and they said the 110 should ok and I had AJ at ESS switch it today. I might just need to get both the 110 and 115 after all.
It depends alot on how aggressive your tune will be. If you can I think getting both is a good idea

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Insurance is cheap. Buy both, start with the larger pulley and make sure everything is tuning out Right, then go with the smaller pulley if your tuner sees no issue with the increase in boost. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I wouldn't stress too much... It may have been just specific to the fuel that I have available to me. Although, it's honestly not a bad idea to start with a larger pulley and work your way down as you're dialing things in. Lund will walk you through the process and will help you to identify any problems along the way.

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Well, came real close to hitting my goal of a 9 second pass today. This was on the 105mm (11psi) pulley running Sunoco 260 GT 100 octane fuel and a race tune from PBD. DA was around 2200. I logged the run, and looking at it after, there was 3-4 degrees of positive knock above 7000rpms. My shift points are set to 7400. Timing on this tune is maxed for 22 degrees, but with the knock obviously it pulled a bunch out. I loaded my 93 octane tune for my next run and ran a 10.20@142. This run was far more typical with -3 to -4 degrees of knock logged. I'll send the logs for the 2 runs to PBD to get Rob to review and see what he suggests.

I have half a pail of Sunoco and a free entrance to a test and tune night left, and that will probably be it for this year. I'm leaning towards keeping the 11psi pulley on the car and using the 93 tune. Im my street logging with the car, I've never seen positive knock with it, so I feel comfortable at the moment running it. For the track, I can swap back to the 110mm pulley and run the race tune with the additional timing, the last time at the track I had no issues with knock with that setup.

20210918_113040_HDR.jpg
That is awesome Kevin, very close! What RPM do you launch at and have you got any plans for upgrading your torque converter?
The 10.04 @ 142 run was done with 93 pump gas with 18* timing and the 11 psi (105mm) pulley, correct?

I made 680hp on the 8.5psi pulley running 93. Id say it all depends what your goals are with the car and how conservative you want to be. With the 9.5 pulley i have seen 11-12psi if i spin the motor higher than the 7400 shift points set in the tune. I think that's about the max that is safe for 93. There are a few others running the 9.5 pulley and i dont think any of them have had tuners see any issue with their setups.
I've seen a flash of 11 psi on my 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley as well if revved past my 7400 shift rpm.
Would you say race gas with 22* and the 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley makes more power than 93 pump gas with 18* and and the 11 psi (105mm) pulley?

Cheers!
Great you got everything sorted out, It really is a phenomenal kit!
Pair that with the A10 and things get pretty scary at WOT. Different beast compared to an E85 setup which I previously had.

I use shell 93 as well and my logs for the 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley and 17* timing showed about +0.4* of knock at my shift point in 4th.....not much but I'd rather see -ve values all through.
Was about 102F while logging which I believe played a part in the slight knock retard I saw.

That drove me to install a methanol kit and relocate my IAT sensor as I did not want to bother with octane boosters every fill-up especially as my headers have cats on them.
Been working excellently for me, -4* knock at my shift point so still trying to add timing. The cooling of my charge air is also an added bonus, you can see the IATs dropping on the gauge once injection starts. PBD gave me a meth tune as well with a few extra degrees of timing but I haven't tried that out yet.
Look into meth as an option if you don't wanna run E85 and want to up the boost/timing a bit.
As with everything it comes with some risk as the meth pump could fail. Just make sure your 93 can still handle your tune on its own even if it has to retard timing incase of meth pump failure on a WOT hit. My Snow kit has a boost controller and warning lights for failures and my tune is conservative for meth so I'm not worried about my setup.

I just purchased the 11 psi pulley from ESS and when it arrives I'll do some logging. If the logs look good that'll be my final setup because honestly I'm more than satisfied with the car.

Keep us posted!

Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
That is awesome Kevin, very close! What RPM do you launch at and have you got any plans for upgrading your torque converter?
The 10.04 @ 142 run was done with 93 pump gas with 18* timing and the 11 psi (105mm) pulley, correct?

I've seen a flash of 11 psi on my 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley as well if revved past my 7400 shift rpm.
Would you say race gas with 22* and the 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley makes more power than 93 pump gas with 18* and and the 11 psi (105mm) pulley?
I launch just off idle, seems to work best for me. I have been spinning in 1st and on the 1-2 shift a bit. I think the next upgrade will be to a 28" tire. I'm running 275/45/17 ET Street Rs.

The 10.04@142 run was done with the 22* race tune and 105 pulley. With the knock, it was pulling timing back to 17*. On the 93 tune, it did run a 10.20@142. My best with the 9.5/110 pulley was a 10.29@139 on the race tune. The DA though was over 3000 for that run though, and a worse 60ft. I'd like to give the 9.5 another try on the race tune with the DA around 1500-2000, i think it will run the same or better than my last runs on the 105. PBD has suggested trying VP MS109 instead of the 260GT for fuel - If I can find some, i'll give it a try before the end of the season on the 105 mm pulley.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10

Great you got everything sorted out, It really is a phenomenal kit!
Pair that with the A10 and things get pretty scary at WOT. Different beast compared to an E85 setup which I previously had.

I use shell 93 as well and my logs for the 9.5 psi (110mm) pulley and 17* timing showed about +0.4* of knock at my shift point in 4th.....not much but I'd rather see -ve values all through.
Was about 102F while logging which I believe played a part in the slight knock retard I saw.

That drove me to install a methanol kit and relocate my IAT sensor as I did not want to bother with octane boosters every fill-up especially as my headers have cats on them.
Been working excellently for me, -4* knock at my shift point so still trying to add timing. The cooling of my charge air is also an added bonus, you can see the IATs dropping on the gauge once injection starts. PBD gave me a meth tune as well with a few extra degrees of timing but I haven't tried that out yet.
Look into meth as an option if you don't wanna run E85 and want to up the boost/timing a bit.
As with everything it comes with some risk as the meth pump could fail. Just make sure your 93 can still handle your tune on its own even if it has to retard timing incase of meth pump failure on a WOT hit. My Snow kit has a boost controller and warning lights for failures and my tune is conservative for meth so I'm not worried about my setup.

I just purchased the 11 psi pulley from ESS and when it arrives I'll do some logging. If the logs look good that'll be my final setup because honestly I'm more than satisfied with the car.

Keep us posted!
Do you have any pics of your meth set up that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Boost Controller (Boost gauge + Meth injection controller) on the A-Pillar. I used a gauge pod and drilled a hole in the A-pillar to pass the wires through for a clean setup. The A-pillars are relatively cheap so I'll buy another if I ever need to return to stock. There's a point right behind the A-pillar where you can pin tap into for power and grounding similar to tapping into the rear-view mirror for a radar detector or dash cam.
Boost_Controller.jpg

The lines from the boost controller right under the driver's side area. Most of the lines are unused for my setup since I have just one pump/nozzle and I'm using the windshield washer fluid tank. The boost line and power line go out through the firewall into the engine bay.
Boost_Controller_Lines.jpg

Line 1 (red line) is the power line from the boost controller to the pump (which is located near the windshield washer fluid tank) and line 2 (blue line) is the boost line from the boost controller.
Lines_In_Engine_Bay.jpg

Meth injection point located here past the MAF but before the throttle body to give the water + meth enough time to mix evenly with the charge air before getting to the cylinders. I previously was injecting right after the throttle body with the Snow throttle body adapter but was advised by members on here with meth kits to relocate the injection point further back to give enough time for mixing.
Injection_Line_On_Charge_Pipe.jpg

My kit came with a tank and 15" line as most people mount the kit tank in the trunk and route the injection line from the trunk to the engine.
I'm using my windshield washer tank instead and hooked in an NPT fitting to the tank which connects to the meth pump. This can all be done from the wheel well after taking out the front passenger tire.
There was quite a bit of extra line so I wrapped that around the washer fluid tank's neck and zip-tied it.
Using the washer fluid tank also means you get the warning on your dash when fluid is low and water + meth can be used to clean your windshield (though obviously not the cheapest way to do so).
Meth_Tank.jpg

The next two pictures show where I located the pump.
I spent almost an hour hooing and haaing about where to locate the pump and this was the best/easiest location I ended up with. It's resting on the frame inside that wheel well space and I zip-tied it in three spots to the frame to prevent any movement.
Pretty clean and hidden without any drilling or modification to the car and high enough to prevent any rain or other hazards getting to it though I'm sure it can withstand all that, the pump is built like a tank.
Meth_Pump_1.jpg
Meth_Pump_2.jpg

This is completely optional - I used a VMP IAT breakout harness to relocate my IAT sensor from the MAF on the charge pipe to the intake manifold near the vacuum lines. I used the spot previously for the PCV line (I have a UPR breather catch-can set-up)
IAT sensor relocation.jpg

Overall pretty clean install for me!
Overall_Setup.jpg

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I agree on the "rocket" thing. FI on a Coyote is simply amazing.

Be careful, these things can get you in trouble really quick since they can hit double digit speed in what feel like just a few seconds.
I think you mean triple digits in seconds.
Sponsored