Sponsored

Drag Strip Newbie - Looking for some basic tips

S550-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Race Red
I have a 2019 Mustang GT (10r80) that recently got Lund tuned. Tires are Michelin PSAS4 (All-season) 285/35/19

When I was stock I went to the strip in April (My first time ever), I ran 12.7s consistently whether I did Sport + or track. With Drag mode, my tires did not like the violent upshifts.

After the tune I went again. and left everything in "Normal mode" with traction on and felt car tried to go sideways. On 2nd run, turned traction off and had a near miss.

Came home pretty defeated so looking for advise as with stock-like power level I know I should be hooking so I need a driver mod.

Basic questions for you all to help me:

1)If I can't drive waterbox, do I need to do burnout? Heard mixed things, not needed for street tires, but some people say to do to kick off the water.
2)Do you floor it off the line or modulate the throttle to get some traction then floor it?
3)Does 2nd gear leave/launch help with traction?
4)For street tire car, do I need to lower the tire pressure? How low? is it safe?
5)Most people say to turn TC off to allow for some slip. But I feel like after yesterday I am scared to do so, do I just trust the car with TC given I am pretty much stock with a decent tire set up?

If you have any other tips and tricks that will be helpful for a beginner like me I would be really thankful!
Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
At your power level and with the A10's gearing, you need a drag radial to put the power down consistently. You're asking a lot of those all seasons. With a lot of practice and immaculate track prep, they may do ok but for most people at most tracks, you're just going to spin or have t/c pull throttle and timing to modulate tire spin.

1. Drive around the water box if you are in street radial tires. Light burnout/spin to clean them off.

2. build up RPM by power breaking and then at green, ease I to it quickly. Not a stomp but faster than taking off from a light when a cop is behind you.

3. Not sure.

4. If your track has an air compressor or if there is a gas station near by, lower the air pressure to around 28* cold, test. You may be able to go lower but I'm not familiar with those tires. If you go to 26* or so, you definitely want to fill up before you head home.

5. With your setup, unless you have a lot of experience with what you are trying to do on those tires, keep tc on. You run faster times with if completely disabled as long as you have traction. With it off, those tires, and your experiences, it sounds like a dangerous situation. If you get a proper drag radial, go for it, but on A/S tires, at least adv track is needed to save you.

OP
OP

S550-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Race Red
Thanks for the tips! It sounds like I need to leave the TC on at least on these tires and just practice more.

Would a tune really have made things that different or could it be that maybe the track wasn't as prepped as last time? I went to the same track in April. It was still hot, but now temps are dropping a bit. Only difference is that I was not tuned.

Since it's my daily driver and I would go maybe go once or twice to drag strip during in a year, so not sure if drag radial makes that much sense.

Would you suggest getting proper summer tires Micheline PS4S would help and be much better than the current A/S I have?

My current tires are literally night and day from stock 255s I had and a lot more confidence inspiring, but it seems like launching at the drag strip is a whole different ball game and A/S may not be best suited for it.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Im not 100% clear whether your track layout forces you to drive thru the water box, or not..?

Most would suggest that you either avoid the water 100% altogether, or else you must dry off the rear tires using a burnout technique.
Not sayin you have to melt the tires off the whls on every hit, but dry them off.

OEM stock front tires
(Like an all season radial grooved tire)
can bring a little bit of unwanted water to the starting line if ya drive tgru waterbox.
Not likely, but it is possible.

Also, other cars running just infront of you, can possibly bring unwanted water to the starting line as well. No, it's not often, but it can be possible.

So.... if ur runnin right behind someone who's draggin water up to the staging beams. That can, on rare occasion - be an issue you cannot control. So watch for these things when a lot if street cars are on track besides yourself.

Good luck!

ps
Doing short hits till you got the car under control & driving straight on the launch, to out past 60ft, may not look cool, but safety is everything.

Only thing worse than kissing the wall, is kissing the guy in the other lane.
Rar, but it can happen.
Be slow on the tree, & let the other lane get out in front of you, till you got things lined out.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
A cordless hand held compressor is your friend.
Sponsored