Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Downpipe...
Intercooler...
So it looks like I'm going to be getting a Christmas bonus and I can't decide which part to buy now this time of year. I know the benefits of each but since I live in SW OH, the temps are dropping, and winter will be in full go real soon. And after buying all that I did over the Black Friday-Cyber Monday weekend, I'm not going to spend the entire bonus just on myself. So considering the time of year, would you buy the dp or the ic? Just curious as to the general consensus. Thanks for voting.
Sponsored

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
downpipe, cheaper and gives you more $ for the family

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Based on everything I've read, ic all day long. I'm saving for that as my next mod.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Intercooler...

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Downpipe...
Intercooler...
So it looks like I'm going to be getting a Christmas bonus and I can't decide which part to buy now this time of year. I know the benefits of each but since I live in SW OH, the temps are dropping, and winter will be in full go real soon. And after buying all that I did over the Black Friday-Cyber Monday weekend, I'm not going to spend the entire bonus just on myself. So considering the time of year, would you buy the dp or the ic? Just curious as to the general consensus. Thanks for voting.
Neither... I'd wait and see if the market will dive and then invest it... or maybe not wait and invest it anyway... lol

If I had the money and needed to set it on fire, think I'd go with the intercooler... that seems to be what people push around here. I don't see a need but others seem to think it is a "must have" (some put it as the #2 mod behind a tune).

Sponsored

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
The train of thought here being that because of the temps being so cold, your IAT won't climb as high as if it were the summer. I'd be inclined to think the same as well. Which has me leaning towards DP but I know Adam always always always puts the IC before all... tough choice! Both are incredibly important upgrades.

...I know the benefits of each but since I live in SW OH, the temps are dropping, and winter will be in full go real soon.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
But, as soon as the temps go up again you'll be wishing you had the ic.

Buhbuhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Yeah, sure DP can make you more power...but you won't be able to use it once it warms back up. Get the IC first for sure. If you have the money to get DP and then IC before it warms up then DP would probably be ok though. Depends how hard you plan on driving the car while it's cold out I guess?

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Things to consider:
-- IC is the more important mod. Makes no sense to get more power, if you just lose it back because the IC is heatsoaked.
-- if you get the DP now, will you have the funds to get the IC before temps go back up? If not, get the IC.
-- how often will the roads be slippery? If often, more power could just get you into more trouble - get the IC.
-- what kind of tires are on the car? If summer tires, more power could just get you into more trouble.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Guys, cmon. The ONLY scenario in which I'd do the DP before the IC is if I knew I'd be able to get an IC set up later in the winter but before it got warm.

Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
downpipe

you'll end up getting both eventually

OP
OP
murphy

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks all for voting and for the comments.
Here's the debate in my head. I will never autox the car, I want to go to the 1/4 mile track come spring but that will be a one time only and done event, I do occasional red light racing and occasional country road fun driving. I live in OH not FL or AZ. Winter is right around the corner and most of the time our summers are not scorchers. So with my Stang as a DD with the occasional spirited driving, exactly how heat soaked am I getting? And the dp is going to be more fun that is noticeable right away. Come spring before it starts getting warm after I send some datalogs to Torrie and if he says I need an ic I'll get one then. But what I'm wanting out of my car is to be able to kick my bro in laws Golf R's ass off the line and he not be able to catch me. LOL Maybe do a couple runs but that's about it. I don't push my car lap after lap after lap etc. I'm going to get the dp now. I do appreciate all the votes and comments. Honestly quite surprised it's so lopsided. Must be a lot of autox racing out there. :ford:

sb1racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Thanks all for voting and for the comments.
Here's the debate in my head. I will never autox the car, I want to go to the 1/4 mile track come spring but that will be a one time only and done event, I do occasional red light racing and occasional country road fun driving. I live in OH not FL or AZ. Winter is right around the corner and most of the time our summers are not scorchers. So with my Stang as a DD with the occasional spirited driving, exactly how heat soaked am I getting? And the dp is going to be more fun that is noticeable right away. Come spring before it starts getting warm after I send some datalogs to Torrie and if he says I need an ic I'll get one then. But what I'm wanting out of my car is to be able to kick my bro in laws Golf R's ass off the line and he not be able to catch me. LOL Maybe do a couple runs but that's about it. I don't push my car lap after lap after lap etc. I'm going to get the dp now. I do appreciate all the votes and comments. Honestly quite surprised it's so lopsided. Must be a lot of autox racing out there. :ford:
No autox here, live in Michigan right above you, drag race & street driving. IC is needed to do anything with this thing IMO. I went 11.90's back months ago with an IC, tires & TUNE+ :) Haven't just putting a DP on my car finally now that it's winter time lol...

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
IC > Tune > DP

IC will most definitely be my next purchase.. honestly I don't even have an interest in changing the dp.. I don't want a louder exhaust nor do I want clouds of smoke out my tail pipes.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Downpipe...
Intercooler...
IC, and charge pipes as well, take care of the weak links first
Sponsored