Sponsored

Does MY18 Magneride option result in 350 underpinnings?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

As we have no cars in the UK yet it seems that the magneride option Ford offer on a Performance Pack is maybe just a lot more than fancy dampers.

Would be great if we could get confirmation if the magneride option when selected on a PP car also adds:
- GT 350 hubs
- GT 350 wheel bearings
- GT 350 rear lower arms
- What springs? 350 or a new spring?
- What swaybars? 350 or new swaybar?

Any other changes to compliment?

Also what additions if any does the PP2 package add which is not yet available, so all current magneride cars are based on regular PP package which is where these rumours have sparked up from?

Could the new MY18 GT PP with mag ride option essentially be a GT with 350 underpinnings?
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm pretty sure a Ford Engineer said there was shared GT350 parts in one of the 2018 review videos.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure a Ford Engineer said there was shared GT350 parts in one of the 2018 review videos.

One of the videos published today, the Ford engineer with grey hair mentioned the magneride system required beefier wheel bearings and as such they made us of what they already had in the parts bin, GT 350 hubs etc. Just be good to get a real confirmation of what one truly gets.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
One of the videos published today, the Ford engineer with grey hair mentioned the magneride system required beefier wheel bearings and as such they made us of what they already had in the parts bin, GT 350 hubs etc. Just be good to get a real confirmation of what one truly gets.
Maybe able to look on a ford parts site and compare part numbers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe that the GT350 knuckles are on the standard car or even the PP1. PP2, however, I would expect does have the GT350 front knuckles to accommodate the wider wheels and still meet Ford's packaging requirements.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Maybe able to look on a ford parts site and compare part numbers.
The Ford engineer (Carl Widmann) is the chief program engineer for Mustang.

What he said in this video and in a video earlier this year is that the wheel bearing and knuckles (aka upright/hub) had to be stronger than previously in order to not deflect from the forces MagneRide can impose. In today's video he said "front" and mentioned they used GT350 bearings and bigger knuckles. As noted above the GT350 knuckle has other differences.

FYI fordpartsonline normally doesn't show real part numbers. Also, so far, the 2018 Mustang version acts more like a place holder than the final version.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford engineer (Carl Widmann) is the chief program engineer for Mustang.

What he said in this video and in a video earlier this year is that the wheel bearing and knuckles (aka upright/hub) had to be stronger than previously in order to not deflect from the forces MagneRide can impose. In today's video he said "front" and mentioned they used GT350 bearings and knuckles.

FYI fordpartsonline normally doesn't have show real part numbers. Also, so far, the 2018 Mustang version acts more like a place holder than the final version.
Thank you, that is him.
It is quite exciting if this is all true, makes mag ride option a must have. :)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Probably no.
The GT350 hubs would require wider front fenders.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably no.
MY18 has new fenders, maybe those fenders can accomodate them, Ford chief engineer Carl Wildman has stated magneride option also means they have to use 350 hubs because extra stress the option puts on the car chassis.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Probably no.
I updated my post after listening again to today's video. Sounds like GT350 bearing and bigger knuckles but not GT350's.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Someone take some pictures of the knuckle of a 2018 PP magride?
Just turn on flash on a camera and start taking pictures or video and reach behind front wheel with steering wheel turned full lock.
Take pictures of knuckle where caliper mounts. Does it support GT brakes or have GT350 style mounts, or both?

We are looking for:
1. Is it an aluminum casting or iron based?
2. brake caliper mounting points
3. wheel bearing mounting geometry (bolted flange instead of single spindle nut):
look for a hole with splines visible (GT350) from inboard looking out
4. link mounting geometry

Probably no. The GT350 hubs would require wider front fenders.
Nobody knows that yet, but good point.
If you were forced to use the stock GT350 front wheels/offsets, then you might have trouble.
But since Ford can design new wheels/offsets, then they can certainly handle getting enough room.
Keep in mind, many 15-17 GT are running 295 or 305 front tires on 11" wide 18/19s.
Besides, the 2018 base fenders 'could' be wider.

The GT350 hub geometry differences include scrub radius, camber gain, mag ride support, etc .
And yes, you can bolt a GT350 suspension onto a GT if you want to spend the money and not see any resale value for it.
And yes, using stock GT350 wheels you might have a problem, aftermarket wheels you might make fit.

Maybe 2018 magrides will all be new custom knuckle.
Maybe 2018 PP2 magrides will all be GT350 knuckle.

Would love to hear how that conversation went. I really hope they film and record those engineering meetings for releasing a documentary one day. (Sorry, engineering and business is so freakn
interesting).

From looking at the Ford Display cars at Woodward earlier this year, and talking with the suspension engineer, the Front Knuckle is not the 350 Knuckle. At least on PP1. Check the Caliper Mounting. It is similar to the GT, not the 350. The other Suspension Components are beefed-up, but could just be the Base 350, which was equivalent to the PP on the Anniversary Car. PP2 could be the 350 Track Pack Car Parts. Don’t know.

PP2 could be different, but at that time, there was no information on a PP2.

The 350 Knuckles are hollow. Someone thought they may be for a future All-Wheel Drive Car. The GT Knuckles have a Spindle and the 18s looked similar to me.

The Rear Spring On PP1 is going to be different from the 350 because the ride height is up, similar to present PP cars. PP2 is Lower, so could use the 350 Spring.

Up until this summer, no one was making Counterwound Springs in the aftermarket that I am aware of. I asked one of the major Spring Manufacturers about getting a set for my car, because I want to keep the present ride height, not down like the 350. He said they couldn’t or wouldn’t at that time. Of course no one knew about the 18s having the Counterwound Spring, so there was really no market for them and no reason to tool-up for such a very small group (me). Now that the 18s are going to be using them, they can start tooling up.

Magneride needs to be able to handle the higher ride height of the PP1 Cars. Don’t know what difference there is from that and the PP2 cars, or if they will just use the 350 Magneride for the PP2. Not sure if they can use either for both.

Software should be different and improved, so we can get a better ride on the non-track cars or more aggressive than the 350 on the PP2s.

Last edited:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Here's the video with the exact thing you're talking about.

Ford engineer says "Front bigger Shelby bearing and (front) bigger knuckle".
Sponsored