Sponsored

Does it matter going full synthetic to synthetic blend?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Car is using motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic but my dealer right now only has 5w20 synthetic blend is it ok to use it?

Thanks
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There wouid be no issues at all going from full synthetic to synth-blend.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Car is using motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic but my dealer right now only has 5w20 synthetic blend is it ok to use it?

Thanks
I wouldn't Mix the two together. But one article from the internet which I agree with is, If you do use semi-synthetic engine oil instead of fully synthetic oil then it is unlikely to cause any drastic or immediate problems. However semi-synthetic oil will not offer your engine the same levels of protection to your engine that fully synthetic oil does and may result in reduced engine performance.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I wouldn't Mix the two together. But one article from the internet which I agree with is, If you do use semi-synthetic engine oil instead of fully synthetic oil then it is unlikely to cause any drastic or immediate problems. However semi-synthetic oil will not offer your engine the same levels of protection to your engine that fully synthetic oil does and may result in reduced engine performance.
I can't imagine that mixing them would matter at all. After all a synthetic blend is basically mixing synthetic with dino ahead of time. It would just alter the blend percentage. Also, I don't see how it would reduce your engine performance in any noticeable way as synthetic blend is what Ford specifies for the engine. At least that's what my owners manual calls for. In fact, the way I read it the optional oil is a full synthetic and the OM says nothing about any special procedures or precautions when using either.
Screenshot_20211209-185614_Drive.jpg

OP
OP
jrsimon27

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Car only sees like 1,600 miles a year and yes the owners manual does not say anything if going back and forth between them.
I would never mix them or would use one or the other. In my case dealer does not have any in stock of the fully synthetic right now.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Car only sees like 1,600 miles a year and yes the owners manual does not say anything if going back and forth between them.
I would never mix them or would use one or the other. In my case dealer does not have any in stock of the fully synthetic right now.
As long as they are not mixed, filling oil with Semi Synthetic won't hurt the engine. It will still meet the engine spec for type of oil I am sure. When full synthetic is back, use it at your next oil change. Good luck

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Blend are a waste of money, there is no regulations regarding the percentage of synthetic in the mix
You could have 1% and legally sell it as a blend

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
There is no issue.
Motorcraft 5W-20 Blend is extremely robust and is a proven formula since it’s inception two decades ago.
Full Synthetic and Blend are compatible and minor dilution or mixing is perfectly acceptable.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
There is no issue.
Motorcraft 5W-20 Blend is extremely robust and is a proven formula since it’s inception two decades ago.
Full Synthetic and Blend are compatible and minor dilution or mixing is perfectly acceptable.
Been using 5W-20 and 5W-30 Motorcraft synthetic blends for over 10 years in every vehicle I own. Oil wear analysis always almost puts them at full synthetic equivalent as well. Those oils have no problem going 5000-7000 miles between change intervals as well.