Sponsored

Does Everything Exhaust related cause Drone?

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I checked with my local car club and I got mine for free with only 500 miles on it the guy had taken it off his GT to put on a better system and just had it in his garage so he was more than willing to help out a new club member bolted right up and hanger points were the same too about 1.5 to 2 hours for me because I have a vert and had extra bracing that I had to remove before I could get to my exhaust to drop it
Sponsored

OP
OP
jayrx7trbo2

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Metallic V6 Auto
I was told or rather read that they have much less drone but drone none the less

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
My roush with shorties and x pipe has almost no drone

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
now i just need to find one local that they dont want to charge a arm & a leg for :-)
post in your area forum on this site, took less than a day to get a response when i was looking for one. Good luck on your search best value for money mod on the V6.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I posted in my local thread asking for one, and got a response in about 5 minutes. It was free back then, but I was the 1st to try it, and GT owners have since started charging for them.

Sponsored

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Just have to find the right setup for no drone. One of my cars has catless headers and exhaust (5.0 v8) and I have zero drone . :)

-Josh

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Dana44, I am really interested in the Hooker Blackheart cat backs. Are you still happy with them? Is there much drone?
I must have over 3K miles on it by now. I drive mostly with the top down and they sound great. I was also looking for weight savings as I added the spare tire and the GT exhaust like the stock V 6 is heavy. As far as drone goes it's fairly tame. I have a 6M the way gearing is in this car with the rear end and in 6th gear it's easy to get out of the torque range of the engine while in going up small hills. That's more pronounced than stock .

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
I must have over 3K miles on it by now. I drive mostly with the top down and they sound great. I was also looking for weight savings as I added the spare tire and the GT exhaust like the stock V 6 is heavy. As far as drone goes it's fairly tame. I have a 6M the way gearing is in this car with the rear end and in 6th gear it's easy to get out of the torque range of the engine while in going up small hills. That's more pronounced than stock .
dxc44,
Perception and tolerance of drone is very subjective and to personal tolerence. Some don't mind moderate or even more drone. Some have it and don't mind the trade off of adjusting your normal driving gear/rpm choice (or staying always driving in sport/paddle mode w/ Auto trans). With my automatic V6, drone was in the lower rpm range of every gear. I never considered always running higher rpm's as a work around. YMMV. As I said, everybody's different. My experience on exhaust threads is that when someone says the drone is not too bad, they might be speaking to how easy they feel it is to 'avoid' the offending RPM range, not necessarily how bad the drone is in the offending rpm range. So ask for clarifications if you care about the differences in drone opinions.

Good luck

Guard051A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was told or rather read that they have much less drone but drone none the less
Hey I'm in the Safety Harbor Area if you want to hear the stock GT on a 2015 V6 let me know.

I do have the BBK Shorty headers and this IMHO is what the 3.7 should sound like zero drone and only awesome tone!

Also when I was shopping for GT exhaust 2 were on tampa Craigslist dude wanted $300 sold them to me for $100

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FYI, I've got a clean GT exhaust (from my '16), not cut, 5K miles, I'll put together a legit sales post soon, but figured I'd mention it in here. Would need a pick, I'm in St. Augustine (saw a few of you were in Florida too).
Sponsored