Sponsored

Does Everything Exhaust related cause Drone?

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Metallic V6 Auto
every search i have ever done shows there is drone with any exhaust mod,full, cat back & even just mufflers? I tried magnaflow cat back & drone was brutal. some extra cabin noise is expected but the drone frequency that burns your brain is crazy to deal with. Curious if Are there any option out there that dont cause drone at crusing speeds which is where you usualy driving unless your on highway/interstate???
Sponsored

ARK Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
every search i have ever done shows there is drone with any exhaust mod,full, cat back & even just mufflers? I tried magnaflow cat back & drone was brutal. some extra cabin noise is expected but the drone frequency that burns your brain is crazy to deal with. Curious if Are there any option out there that dont cause drone at crusing speeds which is where you usualy driving unless your on highway/interstate???
Minimizing drone is one of the most important things to us when designing an exhaust system.
Here are a couple threads with info, feedback, and pictures/videos of our GRiP catback exhaust system.
We currently only have videos on the GT, but will hopefully have videos on the V6 soon.
Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56932
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1461381&postcount=58

OP
OP
jayrx7trbo2

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for your reply, i went through both threads & found no V6 videos just GT's

ARK Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
thanks for your reply, i went through both threads & found no V6 videos just GT's
We have only made videos of the GT, we are looking for a local V6 to make a video. We did have a customer with a V6 record a video, I'll see if I can find it for you.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I'm stoked I just saw this thread as I just put a GT exhaust on my v6 2 days ago. I have done a 3+ hour highway drive and a bunch of city driving since then (driving back to school) and so far I have not heard any, ANY!!, drone at any rpm. It sounds great though, not too loud but much deeper tone. It probably isnt loud enough for some people but I like it, it sounds like it could be stock almost (which I guess it is for a GT). Videos don't do it justice IMO. I picked mine up off craigslist for $80. If you stick it in neutral and rev it up you can hear a little backfire around 3800rpm. Just my opinion but if youre worried about drone this is without a doubt the way to go. I had a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with a catback that droned so bad no one would get in the car with me but this GT exhaust sounds worlds better.

Sponsored

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Check out Borla, too. One of their selling points is "no drone". They are expensive, though...

Also check out the "stock GT exhaust on a V6" thread. That is what I did. No drone, a little louder over stock, and you get the benefit of upgrading from 2.25in to the less restrictive 2.50in diameter exhaust pipe. All for usually less that $150 from a GT owner who wants it outta their garage. I posted on my regional forum and within 24 hours I had sourced one for $120 from a guy 15 minutes away and installed it myself.

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
I'm stoked I just saw this thread as I just put a GT exhaust on my v6 2 days ago. I have done a 3+ hour highway drive and a bunch of city driving since then (driving back to school) and so far I have not heard any, ANY!!, drone at any rpm. It sounds great though, not too loud but much deeper tone. It probably isnt loud enough for some people but I like it, it sounds like it could be stock almost (which I guess it is for a GT). Videos don't do it justice IMO. I picked mine up off craigslist for $80. If you stick it in neutral and rev it up you can hear a little backfire around 3800rpm. Just my opinion but if youre worried about drone this is without a doubt the way to go. I had a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with a catback that droned so bad no one would get in the car with me but this GT exhaust sounds worlds better.
Dang! You beat me to it! The GT exhaust is nice on our cars, and you can't go wrong with the price :headbang:

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
i did the stock GT exhaust and added a GT x pipe, no drone. very quite 0-2000 RPM. highway ~70mph=2000rpm, perfect. but when you stomp on it and get her up over 4-5K it screams perfect. all that cost me 100$ for gt take off's and 120 for GT X pipe. and i got 2.5 inch the whole way.

GuardArmour

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Sixxer
To answer your question, yes everything done to the exhaust will come with drone to some degree.

Now when installing a new system there will be way more drone because it still hasn't broken in. When i installed my Flowmaster outlaws the drone was extremely noticeable. And after a couple of weeks they did in fact quiet down and had a different tone. I dont mind drone because i used to have my old stang with a dumped exhaust nobody wanted to ride with me haha :shrug:

Im actually thinking of doing it to this car too after i get long tubes.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
I went the loooong way to fix the drone on both the Magnaflow 11365 and longer/larger version of the 11365. After way too much time swapping and trying diff. tips, to no avial. I finally got to work on finding a way to fit branch resonators in. On the V6, the resonators need to be much longer than for an 8 cyl. Mine were 45" IIRC.

My resonator build thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58338

I wish I had known to try the GT exhaust. I have not heard a V6 with it though. My resonators eliminated the drone from the full rpm range and also quieted the 11365's down some. Kind of sounds like a custom exhaust 350Z now, which I am happy with.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jayrx7trbo2

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THANK YOU EVERYONE.. SOunds like the GT Exhaust is the way to go, 1 Question, do you use the gt exhaust from the cat back or past the cat & from the bottom of the headers back, (meaning cat(x-pipe) as well??? Also, are all the bolt up points the same??

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
OP
OP
jayrx7trbo2

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
now i just need to find one local that they dont want to charge a arm & a leg for :-)

dxc44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Dana44, I am really interested in the Hooker Blackheart cat backs. Are you still happy with them? Is there much drone?
Sponsored