Sponsored

Do black rims scratch/chip easily?

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm thinking of adding the Performance Pack to my GT but I was slightly turned off by the 19" black rims at first - they're slowly starting to grow on me.

A few of my friends warned that black rims look "cheap" when they get scratched or chip off. Do any of you guys have any insight on this, or experience with black rims over time?

(Is the 19" PP black rims simply painted black over aluminum, or is it a black alloy base?)
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Yep...anything black chips, scratches easily. And they actually show more brake dust.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Pick up the black wheels! My factory brembo wheels had rock chips. nbd
I have a set of piano black forgestar f14s, not a single chip. I did however manage to lightly scratch one wheel with a rough brush. :headbonk:
No brake dust issues here. Thank you hawk HPS!

I hope this set fits my 15.

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
They show brake dust easier and you have to make an effort to clean them ! Especially if you're liberal with tire shine..it will smear and streak on it. Just go over the wheel with a soft rag and it'll be fine, but a little more work required than your standard alloy wheels! Also I've never had chips on my 2011 wheels in 74k miles.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

MustangGT0605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

I have a lot of these gouges only on the left side wheels. Do you think it is from rocks? I know its not from curb damage as there are some not on the outside rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored

MustangGT0605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kind of curious why this doesn't happen on my other car. Some of the chips on the wheels are more than just paint damage. It is missing some chunk of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I didn't notice any chips after 7500 miles on the PP wheels. But I'm on different wheels now.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Yep...anything black chips, scratches easily. And they actually show more brake dust.
Something got flipped by a car in the next lane and hit one of my Ecoboost PP wheels. It chipped the wheel in three places. It was real easy to touch up with black touch up paint and unless you knew where it was you can't notice it.

Don't know if it chips any easier but all the silver painted wheels I have had over the past 40 years I could never find touch up that matched perfectly so chips would always be noticeable. I give the black a big plus for being easier to do a touch up that blends in.

Also, by far the Gloss Black wheels are the best I have ever had at not showing brake dust and are super easy to clean simply because if you miss some in a corner it is not noticeable.

Dave

MustangGT0605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Someone of these chips are pretty deep. Like someone took a chisel and hammer to the wheel.

Sponsored

justinakajuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. Auto
I do NOT miss the extra time it takes to wash the PP rims! They literally take longer to clean than the rest of the car. Look great, but by the time you finish the 4th rim, the 1st one is dirty again. Never ending battle... Loving how much time I save cleaning the CS rims over the PP. I would highly recommend that if you are buying new black rims, to go with something with less spokes.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
I think the gt pp wheels are fairly easy to clean and to keep clean. More so than the eb pp wheels

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Oh god yes. My CS wheels get scratches if you just look at them wrong.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Gloss black shows break dust, but you can optic coat it so it helps you when your cleaning. As for scratching any finished wheel can scratch you have to be careful and if you do scratch it just touch it up, its fast and easy.

MustangGT0605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine has to filled in with weld before it can be refinished. There are some deep gouges.

Sponsored