Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
I could care less if another car is theoretically faster or gets better fuel economy. I buy cars to have fun. I love shifting. I rented and drove a GT3 and a Ferrari F430 Scuderia - both with DCTs. Great cars, but I like my GT350 better. The experience definitely helped me to realize how much I hate any kind of automatic transmission.

I think you should spend some time driving a car with an automatic before making the final decision. I would be bored out of my skull in a car with an automatic. Make sure that you still enjoy the driving experience.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Even with the A10, I just don't see myself getting an automatic. I'm hooked on the exhaust acoustics with a manual, and having complete control over the car. Shifting gears while WOT is simply exhilarating. I don't drive in heavy traffic either.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
30k miles of daily driving over the last year in my PP GT. I wouldn't trade it for an automatic, period. Just so much more fun and involving. But then, I don't drag race (or street race). I enjoy corners. :)

I haven't had any issues with my MT82 over that time, though I did replace the stock tranny oil with BG. :shrug:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Downshifting is enough to not make me NOT want an automatic.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
We seem to have an invader from the Honda forums here.
the only honda I own is a CR250!

And it was a joke! Thanks Mr serious.

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
I'm very happy with my Automatic. The traffic I drive in made the manual transmission in my previous car a pain in the leg. I really enjoy listening to the sport mode Rev matching with my loud exhaust. Definitely the most fun Automatic I've owned.
Having a Fun car that I can drive everyday is worth the Money I lost on the Trade in.

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
the only honda I own is a CR250!

And it was a joke! Thanks Mr serious.

She said it was tiny and I need to set her up with better next time she wants someone who drives a stick :) lol

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
go test drive both and decide? Manual or Auto.. both are great options.
For me, Manual was the only option for the Mustang. It's my DD and I love shifting my own gears.
My DDs have all been manual transmission my whole life. I save the auto transmission for wife and trucks.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I would wait a model year if your serious about getting the 10 speed auto.

I personally like a Manual even though it will make my car slower compared to a 10 speed or an F1 style DCT unit found in high end sports cars.

I am seriously considering a new shifter though...

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
People say slower as if auto just makes a manual look like it's standing still...

2 new stock cars side by side... one an auto and a manual. Assuming manual hits the shifts correctly and the person driving the automatic has it in the correct mode and launches it, you are looking at the cars being side by side most of the time with the auto slightly inching head during each shift. By the time they cross the line, the auto might be a quarter of a fender ahead (IF that). The difference is, the auto will always be consistent whereas the manual will not. Which is why there are more A6 on the drag list than manuals because most people who buy manuals don't buy them to drag but you will see the fastest stock A6 vs the fastest M6 (3.73) is literally only .300 of second difference from each other. Look away from the numbers on a printed piece of paper and ask yourself how fast that is... lol

Now if we are talking about two shitty drivers the auto will obviously win. The answer is still simple as I mentioned earlier. If you plan on using it as a drag car (strip or street) get an auto. Otherwise I just see no purpose unless you have a disability, you don't know how to drive a manual or you are commuting a shit ton of stop and go, which if you are you kind of picked the wrong to do it in.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
People say slower as if auto just makes a manual look like it's standing still...

2 new stock cars side by side... one an auto and a manual. Assuming manual hits the shifts correctly and the person driving the automatic has it in the correct mode and launches it, you are looking at the cars being side by side most of the time with the auto slightly inching head during each shift. By the time they cross the line, the auto might be a quarter of a fender ahead (IF that).

Now if we are talking about two shitty drivers the auto will obviously win. The answer is still simple as I mentioned earlier. If you plan on using it as a drag car (strip or street) get an auto. Otherwise I just see no purpose unless you have a disability, you don't know how to drive a manual or you are commuting a shit ton of stop and go, which if you are you kind of picked the wrong to do it in.
Your assuming the mt-82 is consistent , when everyone knows it has a mind of its own! One day its good the next day wants to lock you out, the next day a 2nd gear nibble, the next day the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. After 3 or 4 hard runs you have mushy pedal... it goes on and on!!
Sponsored