Detailed comparison: S550-S197

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
BEWARE: LONG READ.
-----------------------------
In case there's anyone considering trading up from an S197 to the S550 like I did, I thought I'd share this write up. I traded in a 2012 GT on mine, and what follows are just my own thoughts, opinions, and observations. Take it for what it's worth:

2012 S197:
· Options: Premium Interior, black “leather”, Nav, Manual, 3.73 rear. No brembo (or track pack) on this car, 18” wheels, PZero AS tires, with std brakes & suspension. Regretted that, so opted for the PP on the ’15.
· Mods: Bone Stock.
· Exterior
o Still like this body style from the front and side, but the rear was too narrow.
o Color: Kona Blue. Loved this color, except in some low light, where it would look a little purple.
· Interior:
o A little plain, but business-like, and comfy enough. Really nice “for a mustang”. Updated take on the 1967 interior.
o Seats: Comfy enough needed more lateral support. Material was thicker than the S550, giving the impression of durability, but the grain and feel were a bit on the cheap side. Keys always banging my knees: annoying.
o Console:
§ Cup holder situation: Awful in the manual car. Forget sporty driving with a beverage there. Whose design idea was that??
§ Console: kind of an ugly plastic
o Stereo/Entertainment:
§ MFT & Navigation: Infuriating on occasion just trying to set up a route. Some voice commands not understood and it would often indicate addresses were invalid when Google maps or even the iPhone maps would find it.
§ Sound quality: Shaker variant, without the rear sub. Sounded pretty close to the premium shaker with a sub in my S550. Probably the system in the ’12 had better high frequency response, though both are a little muddy sounding to my ear.
§ Built in Hard Drive: Most now have all their music on phones or some separate device, but I miss the Hard drive myself. Scanned/recorded CD’s sounded much better than what I get from plugging in a phone or iPod.
· Performance:
o Straight Line: Not sure if my car was an anomaly or not, but it was really fast if you could nail the 1rst-2nd shift.
o Handling: Best handling solid axle mustang, but still an SRA. Fun to drive in the twisties, but you’d better be on your game. AS tires would break loose early but predictably. Typical SRA issue with bumps mid-corner.
o Tranny/Shifter:
§ 1rst-2nd shift difficult to get right, but paid off big if you did.
§ Much maligned gearbox gave me no trouble apart from above.
o Exterior Exhaust sound: Too quiet. Never upgraded it because I liked being somewhat ‘under the radar’.
o Sound Interior: S197 wins here, like ‘Bullitt” at WOT.
· Issues:
o Annoying rattles from the rear of the car, popped up in the first week of ownership. Annoying, took 3 trips to the dealer to resolve.
o This car had only 14K miles when I traded it in on the S550, incredibly both lower control arms had to be replaced at about 10K miles. Warrantied, no cost to me. Just painful back and forth to the dealer. Disappointing engineering.
’15 S550:
· Options: Premium, Saddle “leather”, Nav, Manual, 3.73 rear, PP. Back up sensors. Factory tint isn’t nearly enough in GA.
· Mods: Bone stock.
· Exterior
o Not impressed by early magazine pics, but seeing the car in person was a game changer. Loved the design, and the rear has a nice, wide stance. Front grill looks like a Fusion, but doesn’t detract.
o Color: Magnetic. This color with the saddle interior was a little hard to find, but my dealer came through. Love it and like that it’s nearly invisible in cloudy weather.
· Interior:
o Very nice improvement over the previous gen overall. Enough design cues to let you know it’s a mustang, but thoroughly modern.
o Front Seats: Comfort and support are much improved over the S197. Material feels nicer, even if it’s thinner. Love the cooling function. Many have complained about how well the cooling works, but mine does fairly well.
o Rear Seats: No Biggy for me, but rear seat space is significantly smaller in the S550 and the S197 didn’t have a lot to start with. Works fine for my 4yr old and booster seat.
o Console:
§ Cup holder situation: Resolved! Almost worth the trade alone.
§ Still more hard plastic than I’d like, but much improved.
o Stereo/Entertainment:
§ MFT & Navigation: Only used the Nav a few times, but I see some improvement in MFT. Bluetooth paring at least seems to work better.
§ Sound quality: A bit disappointing considering the shaker is supposed to be the next step up from the one in the ’12. Similar to previous gen.
· Performance:
o Straight Line: Fast for sure, but I would give the previous car a slight edge, at least 0-80 or so. Not a huge difference, but considering the increase in power output, I was a little disappointed. To be fair, I only have 1900 miles on this motor and expect it will get a little quicker by 6K miles or so (the previous one did). Top speed is higher on the new model, but I never got close to the 146 mph max of the old car anyway.
o Handling: The IRS really makes this car more of a “point & shoot” affair. Chicanes, switchbacks, uneven surfaces mid-corner, this car just does it with little drama, and fast. Eye-popping grip, even on stock tires. Biggest performance difference between the two and the S550 delivers big time. Previous Gen might be quicker in a straight line by a hair, but the new car should win by a larger margin on a road course.
o Tranny/Shifter:
§ 1rst-2nd much easier to get right!
§ “Notchy” shift into 3rd usually. Not bothersome, but different.
o Exhaust sound exterior: Maybe it’s just me, but I think the ’15 sounds just a little better stock, from the outside.
o Engine sound interior: Slightly more subdued. Prefer the S197 sound with the windows rolled up, but difference is minimal.
· Issues:
o Seat leather, front passenger seat wrinkly & loose. Resolved by dealer, no cost.
o Rear Quarter panel alignment: Panels dipped inwards at the seams. Resolved, no cost.
o Rear Window distortion: About a 2” bar of distortion going laterally across the window, blurred view. Weirdest issue ever. Dealer replaced window at no cost.
o Rear Window alignment: pretty good initially, compared to others I’ve seen. A bit worse after new window installed, but I’ll live with it.
Verdict: In the end, I’m glad I upgraded. In my opinion, the S550 is a better looking, more refined, better handling, and comfortable car. The IRA and improved interior mitigate the two biggest criticisms mustangs have always had, allowing it to compete on a different level.
Highs/S550:
· Coyote V8, may be the best motor of the decade
· IRA & overall handling performance
· Revised interior & new features (love the remote window roll down)
· Sharp looks
· Still good bang/$
Lows/S550:
· QC is still an issue, at least on some minor things.
· Wish Power increase translated into quicker numbers than the previous Gen.
Highs/S197:
§ Coyote V8
§ Still competitive and maybe even quicker stoplight-stoplight (SRA may actually help here).
§ Drag racers who already own an S197 may want to keep it.
§ Great value as a used car
Lows/S197:
§ Tricky 1rst-2nd shift
§ Ultimately slower thru corners (SRA)
§ Now dated interior with more “Plasticky” parts
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Nice write up! I still have to do mine, just haven't had the time to really sit down and think about both cars in detail.

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
Having intended to buy an S197 when I started saving to buy a new car two years ago this was a fascinating read. Thanks for the detailed write-up.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Thanks for the kind words. As you can tell, I liked my S197 too and was able to use that as leverage on the deal for my '15. Whenever they hesitated on any part of the deal I wanted, I'd just tell them I was happy to keep my current car and they'd ultimately cave! I wouldn't have minded keeping it for a bit longer, but in truth I knew I had to have the S550 as soon as I saw it in the flesh!

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Granted I will agree stock for stock - the '15PP will outhandle the S197 even with the 255 optional summer tires on a road course, but your opinion of the grip/handling on the S197 being worse than the S550 is hindered by the fact you stated you were on all season tires on the S197 and summer tires on the S550. A/S to summer tires often translate to 0.1g or more lateral maximum grip.

I do agree with SRA vs IRS though. I only test drove a few S197 and they definitely get sketchy on mid corner bumps, but do handle well on smooth pavement.

Otherwise good comparison.

Sponsored

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
I bought an 05 in 2005 and loved driving it. the upgrade, i think is an exponential improvement. for the most part, i do agree with this comparison, other then the alignment issues and such, i have not had problem one with my s550. Great write up!

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Granted I will agree stock for stock - the '15PP will outhandle the S197 even with the 255 optional summer tires on a road course, but your opinion of the grip/handling on the S197 being worse than the S550 is hindered by the fact you stated you were on all season tires on the S197 and summer tires on the S550. A/S to summer tires often translate to 0.1g or more lateral maximum grip.

I do agree with SRA vs IRS though. I only test drove a few S197 and they definitely get sketchy on mid corner bumps, but do handle well on smooth pavement.

Otherwise good comparison.
You're exactly right, it was not apples to oranges with the tires, nor the suspension differences. The 2012 brembo package I did not have also included suspension upgrades that would have undoubtedly made a difference. At that point you're just down to SRA v IRA handling wise.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I bought an 05 in 2005 and loved driving it. the upgrade, i think is an exponential improvement. for the most part, i do agree with this comparison, other then the alignment issues and such, i have not had problem one with my s550. Great write up!
I would bet the improvement would've been very noticeable even from 05-11/12. Interiors were similar but the intro of the Coyote was huge.

That said, I think the 4.6 sounded better, stock. Had a 00 GT with that motor and the exhaust sounded almost perfect straight out of the dealer.

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
Here's my opinion. I might be a minority with this one on this board. But..

As a fan of both the S197 and the S550, the Premium interior of the S197 (well, from 2010-2014) never bothered me. But, there's a difference between a 2006 GT premium and a 2013 GT premium, and to me, the 10-14 gen was leaps and bounds better than the cave of the 05-09. It was actually very nice with the red leather, NAV and glass roof combo. The S550 doesn't even have that feature. Yes the new interior is better, but to be honest, I rather liked the simpler steering wheel over the S550 steering wheel with 1028383 buttons on it for no reason. Materials are better, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to be feeling on my dashboard everyday being like "ohhh darn this hard plastic surface" and squeezing on it just because. It becomes a moot point after a while.

Not to mention, the S550 backseats are a COMPLETE joke compared to the S197 generation. They are completely worthless and unusable unless you have a 7 year old kid or so.

Ride quality and handling are much improved over the S197, I give it that. But it is honestly quite laughable to read these comments about the 10-14 S197 being a craphole compared to the new car. Let's be real and honest, the S550 stang's interior still has QUITE a way to go to get into a good quality interior like an Audi/BMW level. (still quite a bit of cheap hard plastic and that chrome stuff all over the place). It's better, but let's not get overblown.

Sponsored

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L

As a fan of both the S197 and the S550, the Premium interior of the S197 (well, from 2010-2014) never bothered me. But, there's a difference between a 2006 GT premium and a 2013 GT premium, and to me, the 10-14 gen was leaps and bounds better than the cave of the 05-09. It was actually very nice with the red leather, NAV and glass roof combo. The S550 doesn't even have that feature. Yes the new interior is better, but to be honest, I rather liked the simpler steering wheel over the S550 steering wheel with 1028383 buttons on it for no reason. Materials are better, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to be feeling on my dashboard everyday being like "ohhh darn this hard plastic surface" and squeezing on it just because. It becomes a moot point after a while.

Not to mention, the S550 backseats are a COMPLETE joke compared to the S197 generation. They are completely worthless and unusable unless you have a 7 year old kid or so.

Ride quality and handling are much improved over the S197, I give it that. But it is honestly quite laughable to read these comments about the 10-14 S197 being a craphole compared to the new car. Let's be real and honest, the S550 stang's interior still has QUITE a way to go to get into a good quality interior like an Audi/BMW level. (still quite a bit of cheap hard plastic and that chrome stuff all over the place). It's better, but let's not get overblown.
Curious what the big difference is between the S197 and S550 back seat that people talk about, is it the seat itself? Looking at technical specs, the back room for the S550 shows to actually be slightly roomier, in theory, only be tenths of an inch so not likely a big difference.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Curious what the big difference is between the S197 and S550 back seat that people talk about, is it the seat itself? Looking at technical specs, the back room for the S550 shows to actually be slightly roomier, in theory, only be tenths of an inch so not likely a big difference.

Headroom. Big difference between the models. I'm 6' and can fit comfortable in my backseat with the front seat slid forward. In the S550 I had to hunch almost all the way forward to avoid hitting my head on the back glass.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP

I agree with a lot of what you've stated here. People quickly forget how highly rated the 2011-14 models were when the coyote was first introduced. I almost decided to keep my S197, mostly because I expected to feel more power difference between my 412hp 2012 and the 435hp 2015.

But I do like the smaller steering wheel on the S550. A bit too many buttons, I would agree, but the layout of them is intuitive and I've never struggled to figure out which buttons do what.

The interior does still have a ways to go to meet up with BMW/Audi levels, but then again, if you get 400+ HP in one of those, you could buy a mustang gt and a V6!

Spot on about the backseats. For the poster who was wondering what the difference was; in the S197 you could squeeze an adult back there. Not comfortably, but it could be done. In the S550, it's not even possible for most adults. You can really tell the difference by comparing the distance between the rear of the console and the back seat. In the S550, the console almost touches the back seat. Also, the "fastback" slope of the rear window cuts off any usable headroom. My 4 year old fits back there just fine though!

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
If Ford is listing the same dimensions back there, they are making things up. I have had three generations of Mustangs and have at least been able to climb back there and sit behind my driver's seat without detaching body parts. In the 15, not only is rear headroom limited (at least an inch less than before) but foot space is non-existant. It's not hard to set it so the front seat is touching the back seat -- literally, zero foot room. It's a joke.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much the same impressions I had (went from '12 Premium PP to a '15 Premium PP).

My '12 had considerably more grunt (both have 3.73s).
I liked the ambient lighting of the 12 a bit better (there were more and they were a bit brighter).
I hate the shifter in the '15, it's located higher up in the center console and you cant reach the climate or sound system controls while your hand is on the shifter. Ergonomics were better on the '12.
I love the new seats! Slightly more supple and considerably more comfy on drives over 30 minutes.
Telescoping steering wheel was a great addition on the '15!
Handling might be a little to refined for my liking, I liked the '12s ride. It felt like a muscle car but was still very predictable.
Love the display between the gauges of the '15, so much information in there!

Visually, the profile and rear of the car are just gorgeous but I really hated the front end in pictures. It's growing on me now but I think that is because of the color I chose (yellow is broken up nicely with the black splitter). It's still not my favorite piece and I want a hood that doesnt have the lame ribs (much prefer a solid cowl across this span) but I'm learning to not gag when I look at it.
Sponsored