Sponsored

Dealership work: more miles than reported

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Hi,

Someone please tell me if this is a big deal, and if I should do something about this, or ask for something comped on my bill:

I have a 2012 Mustang GT Premium.

I took my vehicle in to my local Ford dealership for The Works -- full synthetic oil -- inspection of brakes (they felt like they were rubbing), and inspection of my front suspension (I was hearing clunking sounds).

The dealership is one of the largest, if not the largest, in the country in terms of Mustang sales.

My Miles In was 54958. The invoice reported Miles Out as 54958. However, my actual Miles Out was 54966; 8 miles more than reported.

The dealer said nothing was wrong with the brakes. They did replace front control arms and bearings. Does it take 8 miles to test for that? Why would they report the same Miles Out as if they did not even drive it? Why not the transparency? My service rep was not available for discussion when I picked up my vehicle. Is this an issue I should call for? I do not want someone joy riding in my car, let alone the mistrust of mis-reporting the miles on my vehicle.

Please advise. Thanks.
Sponsored

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
Is this a joke? If not don't waste your time it's 8 miles guy! So the tech drove your car to hear the clunking sound changed a few parts and drove it again to see if sound was gone.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
They were probably just too lazy to check the mileage when they finished with the car. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over eight miles. 80 miles would be a much different story.

That said, I personally make it very clear when I drop off my car that it is NOT to be driven off the lot and NOT to be washed at any time. If a test drive is needed to verify the work, I offer to come by and drive or ride with the tech. I've never had any issues doing it that way. Maybe something to remember for next time.

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this a joke? If not don't waste your time it's 8 miles guy! So the tech drove your car to hear the clunking sound changed a few parts and drove it again to see if sound was gone.
No, not a joke -- and I realize it's not that many miles, but it is the transparency I'm concerned about. I just have never had this experience before, and I didn't think it would take 8 miles to test out my car when I have the full extended warranty plan.

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They were probably just too lazy to check the mileage when they finished with the car. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over eight miles. 80 miles would be a much different story.

That said, I personally make it very clear when I drop off my car that it is NOT to be driven off the lot and NOT to be washed at any time. If a test drive is needed to verify the work, I offer to come by and drive or ride with the tech. I've never had any issues doing it that way. Maybe something to remember for next time.
Thanks, Robbie. I will take this into consideration next time. I didn't think of this, because I didn't think they would take it out for eight miles. I figured 1-2 miles at most. I also figured since I have the extended warranty that they would just replace what I told them with no issues. Unfortunately, I had to be at work, so I did not have the opportunity to drive the car for the techs.

Sponsored

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
No, not a joke -- and I realize it's not that many miles, but it is the transparency I'm concerned about. I just have never had this experience before, and I didn't think it would take 8 miles to test out my car when I have the full extended warranty plan.
I would rather have a tech take a good test drive to replicate any weird sounds so my car gets fixed! If it takes a few miles then oh well as long as my car is fixed I am fine! What does having a full extended warranty have to do with driving your car?

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
I didn't think of this, because I didn't think they would take it out for eight miles. I figured 1-2 miles at most.
Another thing to consider: as a former tech myself, I knew of some bumpy/rough roads a couple miles from the dealership that were great for testing suspension issues. This could be the case here as well.

Unfortunately, I had to be at work, so I did not have the opportunity to drive the car for the techs.
You could always make the decision at the time they call you for the test drive. Maybe allow the tech to drive the car without you there, but specify the maximum number of miles. Or ask how many miles they plan to put on it and authorize it at that time.

Ultimately, it sounds like you got the car back in good shape, so no harm no foul.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
8 miles in LA is like an hour drive... so I get your concern

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Seriously. He drove it out 2 miles, and then back, to check the symptom. Then repeated that run after exchanging parts. 8 miles total. SM or tech just didn't enter the new mileage at the end. NBD.

Also, if it is the largest Mustang dealer, then they get in MUCH fancier/faster Mustangs than yours. So it's not like the tech got a rare chance to hot-rod a Stang. It is more important to leave a valet key (see the How to valet your car thread).

Sponsored
OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously. He drove it out 2 miles, and then back, to check the symptom. Then repeated that run after exchanging parts. 8 miles total. SM or tech just didn't enter the new mileage at the end. NBD.

Also, if it is the largest Mustang dealer, then they get in MUCH fancier/faster Mustangs than yours. So it's not like the tech got a rare chance to hot-rod a Stang. It is more important to leave a valet key (see the How to valet your car thread).
I understand - I guess it's just more about the transparency as I said; I didn't mention that they also left the old dirty air filter in my backseat, and didn't use a floor mat cover, so I didn't appreciate the treatment more than anything.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I understand - I guess it's just more about the transparency as I said; I didn't mention that they also left the old dirty air filter in my backseat, and didn't use a floor mat cover, so I didn't appreciate the treatment more than anything.
If the did this with your air filter, yes, I would let the service manager know. Maybe they pulled the floor mat sheet out all ready.

But dont worry about 8 iles on a 60,xxx mile car.

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
It was I that took that mustang out for a test drive. I took it to mcdonalds and and did a couple of burnouts. If you see a couple of fries under your seat, just throw them out. I did accidentally spill ketchup on the paper floor mat so I had to throw it out. Also, I left your old filter on the back seat just in case you wanted it. :)

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
I can't imagine how much someone worries about other crap in life if they get bent out of shape over 8 miles and the report being off. Sheesh
Sponsored