Sponsored

Dealership Service Center Irresponsive, Recourse?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The tool trucks make it easy and Harbor Freight actually has a couple of quality brands now.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The tool trucks make it easy and Harbor Freight actually has a couple of quality brands now.
HF has gotten better, quality wise, but it seems like they are starting to price themselves out of the DIY market. Their new Icon brand smoke machine is $500. From what I've seen it's a good tool. But for a DIY guy who may need it 2 or 3 times, thats awful pricey.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hello fellow Manassasnite. I feel your pain. Just got done dealing with something similar on a $5.00 part holding up a $10k repair on Ford escape (crash) service techs suddenly ghosted me for weeks. It's frustrating.

I just keep popping in randomly with a big grin on my face. Then suddenly they start calling before I pop in without a grin on my face 🤬

P.s. you ever goto excessive performance on Euclid?
Hi there @SnowFox

I have been busy with work and have not been able to go in during weekdays to speak with my SA. It really sucks that they cannot even call and say "hey its going to be 2 months before we get to your vehicle". Radio silence just makes me think they do not care at all about their customers. Sad really.

I have never been to Excessive Performance. I have worked with CoHo Automotive, PTuning, and RPM Autohaus.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
But for a DIY guy who may need it 2 or 3 times, thats awful pricey.
Have you priced Snap on lately?

That is who ICON is competing with. Most look like copies of Snap on.

Pittsburgh brand is still OK for one or 2 uses

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
Have you priced Snap on lately?

That is who ICON is competing with. Most look like copies of Snap on.

Pittsburgh brand is still OK for one or 2 uses
Right, but we're talking about the hireability of mechanics, so one or two uses isn't what they're looking at. I bought a $60 plunge router from Harbor Freight for my own personal guitar projects but I wouldn't be doing anything that I'd charge a customer for with it, and I imagine the same with a mechanic getting hired by a shop as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
ICON tools are very good for the price. I'd hire a guy with Icon tools.

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
ICON tools are very good for the price. I'd hire a guy with Icon tools.
Well, that's good to know since I'll likely go tool shopping at some point. LOL

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Right, but we're talking about the hireability of mechanics, so one or two uses isn't what they're looking at. I bought a $60 plunge router from Harbor Freight for my own personal guitar projects but I wouldn't be doing anything that I'd charge a customer for with it, and I imagine the same with a mechanic getting hired by a shop as mentioned earlier in the thread.
I don't understand the not charging a customer for something an inexpensive tool was used on. As long as the tool does the job properly what difference does it make to the customer? And if by using the less expensive tool you can charge less for an instrument or service the customer is likely to appreciate that.
It brings to mind the old saying "a poor workman blames the tool". It's not the tool someone cares about, it's the craftsman. Do you really care about the tools used to make a Les Paul or Martin or the fact that were finely crafted? Do you think the owners of a Stratavarious (sp?) care about the tools he used?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Therein lies the rub. It's the reason I don't offer guitar tech work beyond certain basic things. I'm willing to get my hands "dirty" and I'm not an idiot, but the RIGHT tools are expensive and you need them to get experience because nobody's going to let you touch their tools.

It's a chicken and egg thing. You need money to get the experience but you need experience to get the money.
I have not bought any significant number of tools in 15 years now since 90% of the $100,000 in tools I have now were bought back in the 70s-90s off tool trucks when they were still somewhat reasonably priced. As an example a 1/2" drive impact socket set that is now 5-600 bucks I paid 70-80 bucks for, or wrench sets for 30- 40 bucks that are now 200 or more. I also have more specialty tools than I can even remember that have not been used in years but when you need them to make a living, they are priceless.

There is a code among mechanics which is if you have to borrow a tool once you don't ask to borrow it again, you buy your own.

All the tools I have probably cost me around 25-30K over the years but if I had to replace all of them today it would easily be in excess of 100K, 3 toolboxes full of tools over a 50 year career with one being 4ftx8ft workstation box and I still don't have space for all the tools.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand the not charging a customer for something an inexpensive tool was used on. As long as the tool does the job properly what difference does it make to the customer? And if by using the less expensive tool you can charge less for an instrument or service the customer is likely to appreciate that.
It brings to mind the old saying "a poor workman blames the tool". It's not the tool someone cares about, it's the craftsman. Do you really care about the tools used to make a Les Paul or Martin or the fact that were finely crafted? Do you think the owners of a Stratavarious (sp?) care about the tools he used?

The issue as I see it and always felt as a tech is it's not about the cost of the tools used but the experience needed to use them correctly and knowing what tool is needed for what job. I started in an independent shop then went to a Caddy/Olds dealer for the majority of my career. I had the experience and schooling to repair anything on any Caddy or Olds, or any GM vehicle for that matter but never made enough to be able to buy a new Caddy or Olds.

So, for me it's not that you are paying me for what I do but rather for what I know how to do because of experience and knowledge I have gained over the years of doing my job. It's the old adage of "you don't know what you don't know".

I never did any side work since I did not want to deal with the people that always want to try to jew you down on your labor prices or are never satisfied with the job you do for them. My time is my money and you either pay me for what I want for my time, or you don't, most did not want to pay.

My comeback percentage at the dealer was less than 2% since I did not release any car until I was 100% satisfied it was fixed correctly. It took years to gain the experience and knowledge to become that proficient at my job.

BD

Last edited:

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never did any side work since I did not want to deal with the people that always want to try to jew you down on your labor prices or are never satisfied with the job you do for them. My time is my money and you either pay me for what I want for my time, or you don't, most did not want to pay.
It's funny seeing the people posting on Facebook "who do brakes" and the people who jump to do a pad swap for $30

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It's funny seeing the people posting on Facebook "who do brakes" and the people who jump to do a pad swap for $30

I can imagine but have no firsthand experience since I have no use for any social media at all and never will, it's the Devil's playground IMO.

BD

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I bought the expensive tools because they did not round off bolts and nuts. Screwdrivers that fit the screws properly and the fact the tools lasted a lifetime.

If working flat rate, one jinked up bolt can cost you a lot of money. You don't get paid to fix broken fasteners.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I still have 50 year old rachets, sockets and wrenches that are in perfect working condition. All guaranteed for life.

Flat rate sucks when dealing with warranty work.

BD

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
😕 Buldawg76

You're sad why said, I worked heavy line GM dealership, for a short stint fresh out of the Navy.

This will really make you cry. The split was 50/50 $$ dealer & mech, hustle & make a boatload of cash.

Today folks have their heads buried in a cell phone, waiting for the frigging batteries to recharge for the tools

First come first served is an industry-standard & as it should be.
1715301353336-yh.gif
Sponsored

Last edited: