Sponsored

Dealership Service Center Irresponsive, Recourse?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hello,

I dropped off my 2018 GT at Ourisman Ford Service Center ( Ourisman Ford of Manassas ) on March 30, 2024.

That car is outside of factory warranty but is covered by Ford ESP. The issues the car was taken in was for

1) leaking coolant (turned out to be water pump that needed replacing which the service center did)
2) Transmission slipping during shifting. The service advisor said the tech has recommended the transmission needs to be replaced (all internal parts) leaving only the outside housing that will remain.

Issue is that I have called my service advisor many times, leaving voicemails and leaving messages with staff at the service center to give me a call and let me know when to expect the transmission issue corrected so I can have my car back.

The service advisor has been completely irresponsive. Unfortunately, I have not been able to go in to the service center during weekdays (when service advisor works) and when I did go over the weekend, another service advisor could only tell me that the service center only has 1 transmission tech working on many cars and that is why there is delay. However, he could not tell me when the car will be fixed.

Its been 5+ weeks and I am not sure what I can do to have the service department get this issue resolved. What is my recourse? Whom do I contact? Do I need to make a case with Ford Customer service?

Thanks
Sponsored

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
I was told the same thing here in BAMA at a small dealership. 6 months + depending on the model etc.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
What is my recourse?
It reads you've confirmed the parts are on-hand, that it's a delay in labor.

If that's the case, it might be best to continue to wait, but take an extended lunch or time off to discuss in person with the Managing Advisor a realistic timeline. That sucks and it's more money out of your pocket, but other means of contact don't seemed to have worked well.

I like to work these issues in-person. Even when walking in to do that, I often wait 10 to 15 minutes, as the Advisor is already being pulled in 10 directions. That's no excuse. It's just the environment of today. I also try to meet on Tue-Thu, never a Mon, Fri or the weekend.

Transmissions are complicated. IDK the labor makeup of any dealer, but they probably have few technicians qualified to pull and repair or replace transmissions.

It's my belief most dealers have a handful of craftsman, with the majority of techs being up-and-comers and newbies. All can be enthusiastic about the job and do good work, but if there are multiple, complicated jobs, people then wait for someone certified in that task.

Compounding this matter: it's a warranty job; they don't pay as well as "regular", non-warranty repairs.

If you're not comfortable they have parts or feel they're making a WAG on the wait, maybe cast your net further out, to see if any other dealers are less stressed or more receptive to the work.

Last edited:

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
I waited 7 weeks for a clutch install. Like Skye said, they had my parts in a week but they only have one certified Mustang tech here so I had to wait my turn in line. It totally sucked not driving my sweet thing for almost two months but the install was perfect and Iā€™ve had no complaints. While it was waiting, I did have the chance to get some suspension parts and they were cool about installing those when the work eventually did start.

oh forgot to mention, I had trouble getting ahold of my service advisor for the first week or two but I took a long lunch and brought over some donuts. Always got a call back after that.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
oh forgot to mention, I had trouble getting ahold of my service advisor for the first week or two but I took a long lunch and brought over some donuts. Always got a call back after that.
...and just like pets, mechanics will also think of you when they are hungry! šŸ˜‹

1715118178316-wc.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I was told the same thing here in BAMA at a small dealership. 6 months + depending on the model etc.
@TEAsGrabber Damn thats a long time to wait.

It reads you've confirmed the parts are on-hand, that it's a delay in labor.

If that's the case, it might be best to continue to wait, but take an extended lunch or time off to discuss in person with the Managing Advisor a realistic timeline. That sucks and it's more money out of your pocket, but other means of contact don't seemed to have worked well.

I like to work these issues in-person. Even when walking in to do that, I often wait 10 to 15 minutes, as the Advisor is already being pulled in 10 directions. That's no excuse. It's just the environment of today. I also try to meet on Tue-Thu, never a Mon, Fri or the weekend.

Transmissions are complicated. IDK the labor makeup of any dealer, but they probably have few technicians qualified to pull and repair or replace transmissions.

It's my belief most dealers have a handful of craftsman, with the majority of techs being up-and-comers and newbies. All can be enthusiastic about the job and do good work, but if there are multiple, complicated jobs, people then wait for someone certified in that task.

Compounding this matter: it's a warranty job; they don't pay as well as "regular", non-warranty repairs.

If you're not comfortable they have parts or feel they're making a WAG on the wait, maybe cast your net further out, to see if any other dealers are less stressed or more receptive to the work.
@Skye From what I understood it seems parts availability is not a problem ( if it is, then I have not been made aware)

The SA did mention they only have 1 transmission guy and he takes care of all the cars.

I waited 7 weeks for a clutch install. Like Skye said, they had my parts in a week but they only have one certified Mustang tech here so I had to wait my turn in line. It totally sucked not driving my sweet thing for almost two months but the install was perfect and Iā€™ve had no complaints. While it was waiting, I did have the chance to get some suspension parts and they were cool about installing those when the work eventually did start.

I will try the donut trick!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My dealership, which is usually pretty busy, also only has one trans tech. So I donā€™t think itā€™s that uncommon. FWIW. If parts availability isnā€™t the issue, Ford corporate probably canā€™t do much if the trans tech is booked up.

What I would suggest is whenever your car gets finished and you get the email survey about your experience, ding the dealership on their rating about the communication. Dealers always push for perfect ratings because Ford sees them also. I gave a dealer a 4 out of 5 in one area once (all the rest were 5/5), and you would not believe the amount of phone calls and emails I got from the GM and even the owner of the dealer. Wanted to know where the shortfall was and what they could do to make it right. Hopefully your dealership cares about that stuff, but based on their lack of communication they may not.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Talk to the service manager. They are usually pretty nice and reasonable as long as your are nice. Just ask one of the advisors next time you go in if you could talk to the manager.

Tell the manager your mustang is in for transmission service and you are trying to get a rough eta but your service advisor hasnā€™t been returning your voicemails and you havenā€™t been able to get time off to see him in person. Iā€™m sure your service advisor will reach out to you after that.

Also a little secret. Those surveys they ask you to do after service directly affects their pay.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
My dealership, which is usually pretty busy, also only has one trans tech. So I donā€™t think itā€™s that uncommon. FWIW. If parts availability isnā€™t the issue, Ford corporate probably canā€™t do much if the trans tech is booked up.

What I would suggest is whenever your car gets finished and you get the email survey about your experience, ding the dealership on their rating about the communication. Dealers always push for perfect ratings because Ford sees them also. I gave a dealer a 4 out of 5 in one area once (all the rest were 5/5), and you would not believe the amount of phone calls and emails I got from the GM and even the owner of the dealer. Wanted to know where the shortfall was and what they could do to make it right. Hopefully your dealership cares about that stuff, but based on their lack of communication they may not.
They do care. Especially the advisor as a few negative reviews can hurt their pay a good amount.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Call the Ford 800#, request a Regional Rep and state your concerns. They will assign it a Case # that gives it priority, the Rep. will reach out to the Service Center and request status updates - which the Service Center will then need to provide what is holding them up and a timeline of when they can get the vehicle done and back to you.

I would also mention to the Regional Rep that if your vehicle is financed youā€™re not benefiting from its use and have been out of the vehicle for over 1 month now and you would like reimbursement for each payment made.

Here ya go, this thread had the current Ford #ā€™s - but most current will be found in your owners manual IF they are different from those in this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/#post-3757658

I also hope the Service Center provided you with a loanerā€¦ anything over 48 hours is a mandatory loaner.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Can you get them to total the tranny and get a new one ask the Ford person if they can do that

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The problem is that there's probably 500 other people calling every day too about their cars. It's a complete shit show out there right now. Any timeline you get out of them doesn't really have to be followed (and probably won't). That doesn't mean you shouldn't hound them in person, but it only goes so far.

It's honestly getting to the point that warranty with certain brands is becoming next to worthless with how long it takes for anything to get done.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I had same issue with vette.servjce guys said they would need to pull tranny apart and they asked Chevy to total the tranny.ichevy agreed had a new one I n a week.maybe you could ask service manager if hewoul call ford and see if a new tranny is in order

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Can you get them to total the tranny and get a new one ask the Ford person if they can do that
This- I'm surprised Ford would pay for a complete internal rebuild using only the external casting and not just provide a new trans. I can't imagine they are saving money doing it the way they are.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
This- I'm surprised Ford would pay for a complete internal rebuild using only the external casting and not just provide a new trans. I can't imagine they are saving money doing it the way they are.
That's what happened with me thendealer told ford what it would cost to replace all the I internals snd a new one would be cheaper and more reliable than a major parts replacement
Since it's ford extended warranty
.they should gladly send a new one
Sponsored