Dealer Stock Question

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Looking to pull the trigger. Got check in hand from the bank. I found a car that is 3.5 hrs away. Also in contact with local dealership that says he can locate a car for me. His email this morning says he found one. Since the local dealer has to do things to get the car here (buy if from the other dealer or trade for their own stock or whatever) will they try to justify that by marking up the car? I guess the question becomes do I have the local dealer get it or drive to the dealer that has it to get a better deal? If it does not matter then I would rather deal with local dealership.
Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Suggest that the local dealer swap with the other dealer for a comparable car.
That way both cars have to be transported to each location and the trucking cost is a wash. Let the dealerships figure that out. Tell your local dealer you want this car for the same price that you have already negotiated/are willing to pay.
Less financial transactions mean a less confusing sale is for every one, especially for you the buyer.

Driving to the dealership that is 3.5 hours away would represent the "cleanest" and least complex transaction. If you will be driving there with a trade-in, this purchase location may make more sense. Let this dealer know you are 3.5 hrs away and you expect the effort to be worth your time for his best deal.

If possible...DO NOT have your car prepped or detailed by either dealer.
Dealership details do more harm than good.
Go over every inch of the car and carefully inspect the body panel fitment/alignment for unacceptable gaps and paint flaws/scratches/chip/blemishes.
Have anything paper and photo documented with the dealer.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase!!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Bottom line:

It costs the dealership money to transport a car. This is included in the cost if the car was your dealer's stock. The dealer has to pay someone to do the job if it's a dealer transfer. Sometimes, over short distances, they just get an employee to drive the car to the other dealer.

Also, you might want to be wary of who is doing the transporting. It might be a low bidder using a large pickup and pulling a 3 car trailer, or it could be someone using a full blown auto transporter. If it is going on an auto transporter, then your car will most likely be moving with other cars. The worst situation in that instance would be if your car got put on the bottom, and a leaky used car got put above yours :(

That's why I chose ordering my car over paying my dealership an additional $1,000 for a dealer transfer (with a Southern California dealer...). Yeah, that's about 1,000 miles for a car swap ;)

Beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Guard Metallic MT
I drove an hour away because the dealer around the corner from me is horrible when it comes to their sales department. I always try them first and then walk away shaking my head.

Always best to purchase off the lot if you can find what you are looking for.

They prepped the car and did a great job also. They didn't drill the holes in the front bumper without me asking. I ended up doing it myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sal33n

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards just driving the distance. The biggest reason besides local dealer being close by is that since the local dealership is a performance dealer I was thinking of having them install the FRPP Track handling pack and including it in the sales price. The car I am looking at is a Premium GT/CS with auto. Since you can't get the PP with auto then this is the next best thing.
***And don't lecture me about going the Manual route! lol... Wife does not want a stick. It has been dictated to me :paddle: despite my objections :doh:

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Bottom line:

It costs the dealership money to transport a car. This is included in the cost if the car was your dealer's stock. The dealer has to pay someone to do the job if it's a dealer transfer. Sometimes, over short distances, they just get an employee to drive the car to the other dealer.

Also, you might want to be wary of who is doing the transporting. It might be a low bidder using a large pickup and pulling a 3 car trailer, or it could be someone using a full blown auto transporter. If it is going on an auto transporter, then your car will most likely be moving with other cars. The worst situation in that instance would be if your car got put on the bottom, and a leaky used car got put above yours :(

That's why I chose ordering my car over paying my dealership an additional $1,000 for a dealer transfer (with a Southern California dealer...). Yeah, that's about 1,000 miles for a car swap ;)
My dealer was also going to charge me about 1k for a flatbed tow, or have their employee go pick it up and drive it back...and they were going to charge me a little for that also. Putting 200+ miles on the car and then still not giving me a discount for the racked up miles...no thanks.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
The car I am looking at is a Premium GT/CS with auto. Since you can't get the PP with auto then this is the next best thing.
***And don't lecture me about going the Manual route! lol... Wife does not want a stick. It has been dictated to me :paddle: despite my objections :doh:
Someone needs to get their balls out of the vice and put their foot down. You're not buying a minivan/SUV to haul around groceries/drop the kids off to soccor. You are buying a high performance sports car.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
You will be not disappointed with the automatic.
If it's not too late - get the 3.55 rear gear.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sal33n

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Someone needs to get their balls out of the vice and put their foot down. You're not buying a minivan/SUV to haul around groceries/drop the kids off to soccor. You are buying a high performance sports car.
Nah, it's all good. I have an amazing wife. How many men can say they have a wife that loves to play ice hockey and racquet ball with you, loves nascar and football, is a Star Wars and Disney fan, likes road trips and snow skiing, is your best friend during the day and lover at night, works her ass off at work and home?

I could go on....needless to say letting her decide on the choice of transmission in a car is pretty much a no brainier :first: