Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
2018 Non-Ford 4-cyl turbo SUV, 40k miles
Running poorly, Throws code

We assume it may still be under powertrain warranty, plus we have an ESP, so we take it to the dealer.
Service advisor says it is NOT covered under warranty because it is outside the 5-year powertrain window. They charge 1 hour for diagnostic at $155/hr. We approve.

Turns out to be a broken spark plug.

SA also says that ESP won't cover it because spark plugs are a "maintenance item", and the ESP ($100 deductible) does not cover any maintenance items.
Knowing that modern spark plug replacement is typically 50-100k miles, I push back a little. "If the maintenance schedule does not call for spark plug change at this mileage, then we have not been negligent in the vehicle maintenance. It should be covered by the ESP." Nope.

Flat rate labor time to replace all 4 is 1.3 hour. High-end sparks plugs run $26 each plus tax. (I crossed-shopped and this was not out of line.)
Estimated total is (1 + 1.3) * 155 + 110 = $460.

So, to summarize the visit, we took it to the dealer assuming warranty coverage. But once there, it had to be diagnosed, which turned out to be not-covered maintenance issue. But now the car is apart, and we are at 1.3 additional hour to complete the job, so we said to go ahead to completion. We didn't want to struggle with this ourselves, or pay the diag fee and start over at an independent shop.

But what really bugs me is the high hourly rate of $155.
When did this climb so high? Am I remembering wrong that it did not seem so long ago that it was half that much?
Sponsored

Redfuzzbutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Locally here, private shops are from 150-200 and dealerships start at 200.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
$155 isn't even too bad for a dealer rate tbh. I mean don't get me wrong, they probably still robbed you (1.3hr book for a 4 cyl spark plug change seems unlikely), but that's not too terribly bad.

But yes, this is the reality of paying for car repairs in 2023. Never been a better time to learn to DIY stuff like that.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
$155 isn't even too bad for a dealer rate tbh. I mean don't get me wrong, they probably still robbed you (1.3hr book for a 4 cyl spark plug change seems unlikely), but that's not too terribly bad.

But yes, this is the reality of paying for car repairs in 2023. Never been a better time to learn to DIY stuff like that.
Yeah, I could have done, after first checking youtube for "gotchas", but 1) it wasn't my car, and 2) things were already set in motion, so 3) not a whole lot more money could have been saved at that point.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Dealer I work at is $185 and a local Mercedes is upwards of $265. I deff think rates are high too but your local rate is lower than here at least.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That sounds like a bargain. The cheapest I ever got away with at my BMW dealer was $430 for a taillight.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When you pay people 15 to 20 per hour to flip burgers the guy who can fix your car is worth 50 to 75, plus the shop takes a cut.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When you pay people 15 to 20 per hour to flip burgers the guy who can fix your car is worth 50 to 75, plus the shop takes a cut.
I don't think you're going to find many mechanics making $50 an hour, much less $75.
The shop definitely takes a cut but, to be fair, I don't think most people realize how much overhead there is to operating a large shop like at a dealership.

To answer the OP's question, shop rates around me were in the $120/hour area before Covid so I wouldn't be surprised to find $150-$200/hour now.
I would never expect a car with 40k miles to have spark plugs covered under warranty any more than I'd expect brake pads to be covered.
Then again I'd have helped family or friends diagnose an issue before sending them to a dealer, warranty or no. Assuming they asked.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
2018 Non-Ford 4-cyl turbo SUV, 40k miles
Running poorly, Throws code

We assume it may still be under powertrain warranty, plus we have an ESP, so we take it to the dealer.
Service advisor says it is NOT covered under warranty because it is outside the 5-year powertrain window. They charge 1 hour for diagnostic at $155/hr. We approve.

Turns out to be a broken spark plug.

SA also says that ESP won't cover it because spark plugs are a "maintenance item", and the ESP ($100 deductible) does not cover any maintenance items.
Knowing that modern spark plug replacement is typically 50-100k miles, I push back a little. "If the maintenance schedule does not call for spark plug change at this mileage, then we have not been negligent in the vehicle maintenance. It should be covered by the ESP." Nope.

Flat rate labor time to replace all 4 is 1.3 hour. High-end sparks plugs run $26 each plus tax. (I crossed-shopped and this was not out of line.)
Estimated total is (1 + 1.3) * 155 + 110 = $460.

So, to summarize the visit, we took it to the dealer assuming warranty coverage. But once there, it had to be diagnosed, which turned out to be not-covered maintenance issue. But now the car is apart, and we are at 1.3 additional hour to complete the job, so we said to go ahead to completion. We didn't want to struggle with this ourselves, or pay the diag fee and start over at an independent shop.

When did this climb so high? Am I remembering wrong that it did not seem so long ago that it was half that much?
125 at ford dealer
150vat caddy atlanta.just curious why are you posting on mustang for a non Ford product

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I don't think you're going to find many mechanics making $50 an hour, much less $75.
The shop definitely takes a cut but, to be fair, I don't think most people realize how much overhead there is to operating a large shop like at a dealership.

To answer the OP's question, shop rates around me were in the $120/hour area before Covid so I wouldn't be surprised to find $150-$200/hour now.
I would never expect a car with 40k miles to have spark plugs covered under warranty any more than I'd expect brake pads to be covered.
Then again I'd have helped family or friends diagnose an issue before sending them to a dealer, warranty or no. Assuming they asked.
I work at a BMW dealer in a very upper class area of western central Florida that is growing at a staggering rate with more customers than we can handle. I have maxed out our pay rate and it is nowhere close to $50-$75. I am the only one in my shop that high, the majority make much less, probably half.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)

Normally I'm overly helpful but I didn't want to help this particular person from past history.

I must be showing my age because each time I consider using a dealer the rate has gone up again.

125 at ford dealer
150vat caddy atlanta.just curious why are you posting on mustang for a non Ford product
Because there are many experiences with other makes from others on this forum.

Longitude Zero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, 2007 Mustang V6.
Get over your angst. That hourly rate is a dream where I am from. Rates are IMHO way too high but what's a fellow to do?

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Normally I'm overly helpful but I didn't want to help this particular person from past history.

I must be showing my age because each time I consider using a dealer the rate has gone up again.

Because there are many experiences with other makes from others on this forum.
understand good move with all the good replies

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Suburban, mid-Atlantic area here. That is low for my area any more. Independent shops are about $190, I am not sure what the dealer is. It sucks once they get it up on the lift you're kind of stuck even if it turns out to be something that you could have dealt with yourself. Of course in this case you did not want to, so who cares lol. One of my local, ethical, shops is so busy they straight up told me that since I know how to do my brakes I should take care of it myself because they didn't have the time.
Sponsored