Sponsored

Dealer Experience - So Cal

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
So I posted my experience in response to someone else on a different forum and figured I would copy and paste it here as well. Keep in mind this correspondence is not intended to be a complete recitation of all pertinent facts, circumstances, claims or damages, all of which are expressly reserved.

Oh man... I have an insane story and it is still ongoing. I may have to take my Ford dealership to small claims court. If anyone is interested, I will explain the entire story but the shortest version:

Car salesman tried selling me a bone stock manual transmission 2015 GT Mustang for $42,000. I am in my mid twenties so he thought he could take advantage of me by showing me the monthly payment amount rather than total price. I quickly called him out on this, took 4 hours to negotiate down to sticker, managed to get a bit lower than that, I was OK with the deal, still hated the sales and financing guys for being douches.

Next day rolls around, they told me to call them to get my other key.. after a ton more BS and runaround days pass and still no extra fob. Lucky for me, the finance guy messed up on my purchase agreement and they needed me to do a rewrite. I went down to the dealership and when they wanted me to sign the paperwork, I told them I wanted another $1,000 off the car or I won't sign it and they could take the car back. 2 hours (no exaggeration) pass without anyone coming to talk to me. Finally they hand me my keys and say they will make the prior contract work. Days pass, they can't get the other contract approved by Ford because they made a typo and they MUST get a new contract signed by me, I knew I had them by the balls at this point and they knew it too so they got the general manager involved. He seemed nice enough, promised he wanted to do me right and agreed to instead of lowering price, giving me some mods of my choosing. I decided I wanted the Borla Ford Racing Sport Exhaust (he first tried peddling some lower end parts for a more expensive price and I called him out on that) He agreed. I went in to sign the paperwork, he wouldn't put on a to do order that I would get exhaust, I wouldn't sign. Finally got it in writing and made him rewrite it a few times to make sure it was very clear the deal we made and the entire time kept saying "come on man, I'm not trying to pull one over on you, you need to trust me" (I have emails of him saying these exact lines and then proof he knowingly committed fraud BEFORE telling me he wasn't trying to pull one over on me.. just to show his character)

Finally get the exhaust in, they install it (installed it wrong) noticed an exhaust leak, went to my buddies house, get under the car and they put on Borla ATAK exhaust which is cheaper and different than what we agreed to.

Called them, sent a very nasty email advising how he willingly and knowingly committed fraud (I also copied every single email address I could find for the dealership on it so all of his employees could see he is getting busted for fraud) sent him the law about fraud and how he could serve jail time over it.

Received a call back that day, he tried talking shit to me saying my email was out of line and I quickly told him he better rectify this situation or else I will have an attorney do it. He said he would order the correct exhaust. 11 days later I bring my car to get the exhaust installed. Supposed to be done in 1 hour, 5 hours later I call and they say "oh it just came off the lift, come pick it up" go pick up the car, walk around and inspect the exhaust, the tip on the right side was cracked in half as if the service tech dropped it on the concrete. He blames it on manufacturer. He refused to write a to-do order promising to order a replacement exhaust and said "look man, I can't spend anymore money on this deal" so I replied "am I supposed to just accept damaged goods on the brand new car? did you cut corners again and give me a used exhaust or damaged exhaust to save a few bucks?" He went inside, I followed him to the corner office, they asked me to leave, I advised I wouldn't leave and I will go to each table with sales guys making deals and explain the scenario of the dealership committing fraud and selling me damaged goods. Finally they gave me a to-do order to try and warranty the exhaust from Ford (even though they ordered it from a 3rd party... entire situation is totally suspect still and am battling it out still)

Still waiting to get another exhaust, but to be fair, I am not supposed to have an answer until today... and it's nearing 5PM when he is off. Spent $40 and sent a certified demand letter to the dealership today for lost wages, fraud, and other damages such as the certified mail fee, etc. They have 30 days to make me whole or I will be taking them to small claims court and suing.

Mind you, this is the small version of the story. Completely insane. Most crooked guys I have ever done business with in my life. They thought they could take advantage of me, probably because I am a younger guy but I can handle my business and even after proving to them I know about cars, they still tried to pull a fast one on me. The mufflers are stamped with the model names. It's completely obvious staring you in the face they put the cheaper one on after agreeing in written contract to a more expensive exhaust.

I emailed every different "CEO and executive" email addresses I could find as well as copies of all my correspondence and written proof they committed fraud. I did the online survey Ford sent me and advised of this, I filled out Ford's online contact forms and advised of everything, I printed out hard copies and mailed to 3 different corporate addresses. I just want the world to know that Sunrise Ford of North Hollywood is full of crooks and not a single person should ever do business with him.

There was a lot more with respect to ****** customer service that I could go into detail but the main part is they actually tried committing fraud. Knowingly and willingly and even after being caught, are still trying to cut corners.

/end rant

***edit: even after all of this, let me just say that I love my car. I have owned about 4 different Mustangs in the past (all v8's) this one ascetically and power wise pleases me the most. Just unfortunate I had to go through so much drama when trying to make a large purchase
Sponsored

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
That's terrible that you had to go through that. Though, in So California, there are lots of dealers. I would've walked out the moment they tried selling a base GT for 42k.

Reactions: 113
OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
That's terrible that you had to go through that. Though, in So California, there are lots of dealers. I would've walked out the moment they tried selling a base GT for 42k.
I was in a pickle. It was the last weekend they were offering 0% APR for 72 months. I had just been in a total loss accident with me 2014 Fusion and had no vehicle and needed one ASAP and this was the only 2015 GT with MT that was base model. Seriously. I looked everywhere. Spoke to some car brokers, it was the only one anywhere around and I needed the vehicle now and wanted to take advantage of the 0%.

Edit: automatics were everywhere. Really expensive 50th anniversary or premiums were available in manual transmission, but not a bone stock 5.0 with manual. Trust me in that I searched hard before going into that dealer.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Man, sorry to read about this mess. But as long as it is on your due bill, you are protected. And you dont have to accept your car back if its not whole.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Man, sorry to read about this mess. But as long as it is on your due bill, you are protected. And you dont have to accept your car back if its not whole.
Yeah it sucks, but at least I protected myself and made him put it in writing. He was trying so hard to not put it in writing. We were in the finance room when I was about to sign the rewrite and he called his "buddy" who owns a stereo shop (they were the idiots who put on the exhaust wrong) and because he wasn't a Ford Authorized dealer, he couldn't get the correct exhaust and even told him, I found this out after the fact when I confronted the stereo shop guy. I remember because the GM said on the phone "I understand, order it anyway". Lucky for me, before I signed the last few spots, I told him I want the to do bill showing the exhaust.. he printed one out saying "will get exhaust" and I said that is not good enough, so he changed it to "will get and install exhaust" so then I had to type it out myself "Ford will order the exhaust as agreed upon from my email dated xx/xx/xx to [email protected] for $xxxx.xx amount". He wouldn't print it but I wouldn't sign till he did so he finally printed it out.

These guys will do anything to get your signature. It is really insane.

Still very happy to be in a Mustang again. That Fusion was killing me :cheers:

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had a good experience at Airport Marina Ford. I negotiated a bunch before setting into the store, but they didn't put up lines of bullshit Like Long Beach and Redondo Beach did. If you take it back and seek another dealership, check them out.

Some of these guys are absolutely just full of shit and will lie to your face even when you know they are lying and can call them out on it - They still don't backtrack. I found personally it is better to do as much negotiation through email as possible. Contact several different dealerships and pit them against each other. Also look at the TrueCar price and don't be afraid to buy a 2015...

If I received the level of bullshit you'd received, I'd take the car back and refuse to have anymore dealings with them.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I had a good experience at Airport Marina Ford. I negotiated a bunch before setting into the store, but they didn't put up lines of bullshit Like Long Beach and Redondo Beach did. If you take it back and seek another dealership, check them out.

Some of these guys are absolutely just full of shit and will lie to your face even when you know they are lying and can call them out on it - They still don't backtrack. I found personally it is better to do as much negotiation through email as possible. Contact several different dealerships and pit them against each other. Also look at the TrueCar price and don't be afraid to buy a 2015...

If I received the level of bullshit you'd received, I'd take the car back and refuse to have anymore dealings with them.
At this point, the contract is signed.. I own the vehicle. Unless they agree to cancel the contract (highly unlikely) I am stuck with it. I have purchased vehicles before. Ideally you pit the dealers against eachother but I was in the market for a very specific car and it was the only one around in at least 200 miles radius. They knew it too, they threw that out while we were negotiating. All in all, I feel I got a very good price. Just sucks I had to go. As I mentioned above, time frame for 0% financing only had two days left, I had no vehicle and this was the only car that fit my requirements.. bone stock base GT manual.

Edit: I did buy a 2015. The 2016s weren't out yet and the special financing also wasn't available. This has been ongoing for about 2 months now.

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
Damn that's some bs. You handled it much better than I would have. I have a short fuse and would of probably left with no car and possibly gotten myself in trouble.

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
Sucks that you had to through that kind of BS with your dealer. I had quite the opposite at my dealer. My dealer does a ton of internet sales and when I made the deal on my car they promised they had given me the lowest internet price. After I got my new car home I just happened to be looking through the dealers stock searching for a mustang for a friend. My car had actually gone down in price $676.00 on the day I made my deal. Apparently the Internet sales department is in a different location from the walk in sales department. Long story short, I called the GM and he apologized. Had a check in the mail 5 days later for $676.00 no questions asked. Shout out to Performance Ford in Bountiful, Utah. This is the way a dealer should do business. Honest and fair.

MIKESHIP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MIKE
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG GT
I would have "run" away from there. It should not take 4 hours to negotiate down to sticker. I went in for a 2nd test drive and the sales manager asked if I wanted to see numbers. I told him he had 30 minutes to come up with his best price. Told him what options I wanted. Got it for invoice minus $500, took an additional 15 minutes for the wife to tell me to just order it. She wanted to go to lunch.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I would have "run" away from there. It should not take 4 hours to negotiate down to sticker. I went in for a 2nd test drive and the sales manager asked if I wanted to see numbers. I told him he had 30 minutes to come up with his best price. Told him what options I wanted. Got it for invoice minus $500, took an additional 15 minutes for the wife to tell me to just order it. She wanted to go to lunch.
Yeah. I learned a lot from this experience. Next time I buy a vehicle I will be much more prepared. I would have ordered one if I had another set of wheels till I got it but oh well, it is what it is. After it was all said and done I'm pretty sure I got it for invoice plus $1,300 exhaust so I made out well, less time spent. Invoice is just another bullshit number just like suggested retail.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Sucks that you had to through that kind of BS with your dealer. I had quite the opposite at my dealer. My dealer does a ton of internet sales and when I made the deal on my car they promised they had given me the lowest internet price. After I got my new car home I just happened to be looking through the dealers stock searching for a mustang for a friend. My car had actually gone down in price $676.00 on the day I made my deal. Apparently the Internet sales department is in a different location from the walk in sales department. Long story short, I called the GM and he apologized. Had a check in the mail 5 days later for $676.00 no questions asked. Shout out to Performance Ford in Bountiful, Utah. This is the way a dealer should do business. Honest and fair.
Good to hear there are honest dealers out there. Next time even if it is the only cat around I will not do business with people like this.

Problem is heinseight is always 20/20.. They were jerks about pricing but they are car salesman so that's expected, its how they handled customer service after sale plus committing fraud which is the insane part. But the deal was done so I didn't have much recourse other than small claims. I'll be made whole it just shouldn't have taken all of this effort lol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
For me, I don't like to deal with bullshit like that and would rather have missed out on 0% for 72 months than put up with a shit dealership like that.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i would have jumped on the next plane to a dealer that wanted my business

Reactions: 113