2021 Mustang Gt flood damage?

Micho8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mauricio
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I own a 2021 mustang gt PP1 and went over a large puddle of water at an intersection … I accelerated to make sure I was able to pass and not stay stranded in the water . I cleared the intersection and the large puddle of water and my vehicle stalled… now my car won’t start or even attempt to turn over . The Battery is new and everything turns on except the engine. Should I just make a claim with the insurance or is there a part I can replace to have her back up and running .
(i did find my my filter soaked in water)
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Jeez. How deep was the lake you went through?

I’m taking the assumption that everything is stock?

Any water in the oil? Any noises when it stalled out? Exactly how wet was the air filter? Like completely soaked with water in the air box or damp? Not good if it was soaked and ingested water! I would pull a plug and use a borescope and have a look inside the cylinder and see if you see any water before attempting to start it again.

Could be full of water that doesn’t compress and now “locked up”.

Electrical may be completely fine and that’s why everything works but if the engine sucked in a bunch of water you might be screwed.

If you have the mechanical skills to pull a plug and check / change the oil maybe start there. If not, I see a dealer trip for you and a battle with insurance if that is even covered...

good luck with this!!!

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
I own a 2021 mustang gt PP1 and went over a large puddle of water at an intersection … I accelerated to make sure I was able to pass and not stay stranded in the water . I cleared the intersection and the large puddle of water and my vehicle stalled… now my car won’t start or even attempt to turn over . The Battery is new and everything turns on except the engine. Should I just make a claim with the insurance or is there a part I can replace to have her back up and running .
(i did find my my filter soaked in water)
D8DECDA6-E111-4EA1-9690-598756FD37B8.gif

OP
OP

Micho8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mauricio
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Jeez. How deep was the lake you went through?

I’m taking the assumption that everything is stock?

Any water in the oil? Any noises when it stalled out? Exactly how wet was the air filter? Like completely soaked with water in the air box or damp? Not good if it was soaked and ingested water! I would pull a plug and use a borescope and have a look inside the cylinder and see if you see any water before attempting to start it again.

Could be full of water that doesn’t compress and now “locked up”.

Electrical may be completely fine and that’s why everything works but if the engine sucked in a bunch of water you might be screwed.

If you have the mechanical skills to pull a plug and check / change the oil maybe start there. If not, I see a dealer trip for you and a battle with insurance if that is even covered...

good luck with this!!!
No water in the oil but air box and filter were completely soaked I removed them and water leaked out upon tilting it . Water was maybe 1 1/2 feet maybe 2 but with a large dip in the middle.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
You hydrolocked the engine. Probably one of the worst things you could do to one. Since you were accelerating when it stalled out, I'm going to predict at least one bent rod.

You'll need to do an oil change just in case there's some water in there.

Then you'll need to remove the sparkplugs and crank the engine to get as much water out as possible from the cylinders. You can use a wooden dowel to measure the travel of each piston to see if you indeed bent a rod or not.

I wouldn't start it until you do all of the above to minimize the chance of doing additional damage.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
With the battery disconnected and plugs removed, can you manually turn the engine over for one full rotation using a long bar at the crank?

If not, it's hydrolocked due to 1 or more bent rods.

If the engine isn't hydrolocked - it's possible that 1 or more sensors is damaged, the PCM is fried or fuses popped. Check all fuses to make sure you don't have any that popped.

Pull the MAF sensor and use an electronic cleaner spray that is FOR EFI MAF units and liberally spray it then let it completely dry.

If you still can't get it to start - your only other option is to call your insurance company. The only problem with that is, if it goes through as a claim you might run the risk of increased premium at your next renewal period. Some do raise premiums based on claims (how high cost was to repair) some do not.

Ford would know if there was water injestion or water intrusion to engine/PCM/sensors/harnesses and wouldn't cover it under any warranty plan at all - because it's user error not a manufacturers defect.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Insurance claim

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Water was maybe 1 1/2 feet maybe 2 but with a large dip in the middle.
The bottom of the intake snorkel on these cars is about 18" and its right behind the grill - and that doesn't allow for any bow wave that you may have created ... :frown:

WD :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The bottom of the intake snorkel on these cars is about 18" and its right behind the grill - and that doesn't allow for any bow wave that you may have created ... :frown:

WD :like:

LMAO ............................ visions of the Titanic

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You hydrolocked it. The chances are pretty high that you’ll need a new engine, however, you could have gotten lucky and just need to pull the plugs and spin it over to push the water out through the spark plug holes. Hopefully you didn’t bend a rod or a valve or ten.
Sponsored