Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Just remember this. There's no replacement for displacement. PERIOD! :headbang:
I dunno man, pretty much every leader in the auto industry is beginning to disagree.

Even Ford's #1 flagship race car is a turbo car, and not a V8.
Sponsored

Beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Guard Metallic MT
I have a F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

I thought is was fast until I got the GT.

Now go trade in that V6 for a GT.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I want to turbo my V8 for the displacement and a turbo. Best of both sides of the argument.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Eco and as a student it is very economical, since I live in a big city and 80% of my driving is city street with a stop light on almost every block. But you say how the power is delivered throughout the power band and I find that interesting. Because my sister had a twin turbo 328i, and I felt the power thoughout the band and including up top when I'm dropping gears on the freeway and pushing it. Given it was a 8 speed auto, the feel of the car felt like I was flying and I actually was going pretty fast. But for the Eco if it had a twin scroll big turbo swap, would it essentially have that low end jump that it already has and as well as a nice high rmp push. Making it overall faster and better all around ? Other than the lack of engine noise and the safe feeling knowing it's a reliable motor. Because ik if a car puts down the power better than even if it has a little less power it can overall be faster. So does the fact that the car is turbo handicap it's power band vs a NA
The EB is a smaller engine, which is acting as a bigger engine via a turbocharger. Sure its handicapped by its lesser displacement when compared to a V8, but the turbo compensates for a lot of that difference (especially with some light mods and tuning).

Comparing the EB to the twin turbo 325, as you mention they have very different setups. With turbo cars, the builder (in this case Ford or BMW) can select a smaller turbo for faster spoolup and more torque down low, or a larger turbo with more lag, but more power up top. (or some other combo of a mid-sized or multi-turbo setup). Ford chose a fast spoiling turbo for grunt as a daily driver in the city, as opposed to going for top end power suitable for a drag or track car. It makes sense for the EB and suits most users needs pretty well.

Yes, heavily modified, your EB won't have the power potential of a twin turbo or supercharged V8, due to the mechanical displacement of the 4-cylinder vs 5.0l V8 engines, but a blown V8 will cost many thousands more. Compared to a stock V8, a modified EB can get there. You may be close to the price of a factory V8 in the end.

I went with the V8 because I love the sound (reason #1) and wanted a healthy power-to-weight ratio AND a factory warranty. If I just wanted cheap 400 rwhp, a modified EB might have done the trick. The only other downside to a modified EB (or any other aggressively blown car) is heat management in a track setting. I live in Texas and like to hit a road race course on occasion. It can be difficult to keep heat soak in check when you start upgrading intercoolers and increasing the boost beyond factory levels. The factory cooling system on the EB was developed by Ford to handle stock power levels. Once you start going beyond that you're generating more heat than the factory radiator, ducting, and fans are designed to shed. On the street its rarely going to be a problem. At the track that's another story.

Sponsored

show7ime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang
I've driven V8 5th Gen Camaros before coming over for my first Mustang.

I test drove the V8 and Ecoboost. I love V8s. But, the Ecoboost was a pleasant surprise. I'm not doing drag runs or heading out to the track. I had more enjoyment driving the Ecoboost around the city.

Fun is relative to each driver. BRZ is fun as hell, but isn't a HP powerhouse. The Ecoboost felt more nimble around street corners.

I genuinely enjoy my Ecoboost, and don't regret not getting a V8 this time.

My car delivers power when I need it and I never feel slow or as if I need more power.

Get what makes you happy. But what brings a smile to your face. My opinion or anyone else's... Will never be your own. Happy driving my friend.

6da85afab87080b3325c925d862b2cd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
As we used to say back in the Honda hot rod days... no self respecting red neck would buy anything but a Mustang V8... But today's Mustangs aint the Rustangs of old and I have no issues with the turbo. I just wanted this 435 hp beast mode. This car is beautiful in any trim.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
This very topic is the reason why I have 7 cars.

If I feel the need to drive something with manual steering and a floor-shift 3 speed, I hop in my Gremlin.

When I want to drive something with a small, carb'd V8 with a manual, I hop into my Hornet.

When I want to drive something with a BIG V8 and be reminded what an automatic transmission is like, I hop in my Javelin.

When I feel the need to feel boost; hey, that's what my Shelby is for!

When I need to go to the dump, there's a Mazda pickup around here exactly for doing that!

When I want to drive something that has the power of a 4-banger, the smoothness of a six, but the fuel economy of a V8, there's my Tiburon!

When I want to be reminded of why I have a car payment, that's what my Mustang GT will be for.

I guess what I'm saying is it's all Diff'rent Strokes for different folks. At the end of the day, you gotta ask yourself what makes YOU happy. Are you happy with the Ecoboost? I drove one, and I liked everything about it except the power. On a flat stretch of road, it's a hoot; but in the hills it's power delivery is dulled significantly. Hence, why I went GT.

I like the idea of going back to your dealer and asking to take a GT for a spin. What's the harm? At least you'll know which car you prefer.

Me? I couldn't make a decision to save my life. You'd swear I was in a relationship.... :p

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
I have owned 4 cylinder turbos before, and I test drove the ecoboost when I was looking. I had no issues with it but it was a far cry from the gt and did not sound or feel at all like its roots. I didn't feel that there was any comparison between the two, they are for different people or sometimes one is a compromise, the whole thing about putting an intake and tune on the Eco and getting numbers closer to a gt is all well and good, but you can do the same thing to the gt, and the numbers from the Eco I have seen with several thousand in mods are still ~80Whp shy of a stock gt with a bigger turbo being required to get there($$$$). Imo if you're going for a 4 cylinder turbo and are all concerned about performance there are far better options for the same money, I don't think performance is why people buy the 4 cylinder version of the car.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
please keep in mind that dyno numbers are literally just that...numbers. bone stock gts make 380-390ish rwhp on average. if you want to "read" a dyno then power delivery through useable rpm range has a lot more to do with how the car moves rather than peak #s. take a look at the fastest bolt on gt guys vs the fastest EB guys. 11s are possible on tune/exhaust GTs. im not really sure about the EB.

*edit*
im editing this instead of adding another post. you asked for feel, and im not sure what you mean by feel ...like seat of the pants? driver experience? because a 4 cylinder will never sound anything like a v8, and that's all part of the "feel", to me. a faster car will always be a faster car, doesn't matter what powerplant. but personally, I bought a mustang, so I got a v8. my v8 can make 700rwhp with bolt ons. I feel as though buying an eco, and doing bolt ons to make it equal a STOCK v8 seems like you are starting in a hole, unless that power level is you ultimate goal, and you like the benefits of the eco. please don't think im bashing the eco, you just left this very open and im covering my bases, as a v8 owner.
1. Looks like you should take your own advice.

2. Show me one bolt on Coyote making 700hp, hell it doesn't even have to be yours. *Spoiler Alert* It's not going to happen.

3. You need to work on your writing ability. Nobody will take your comments serious when they display like that.

I love people talking about the EB with confidence and then say things showing they know nothing about the car.

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
1. Looks like you should take your own advice.

2. Show me one bolt on Coyote making 700hp, hell it doesn't even have to be yours. *Spoiler Alert* It's not going to happen.

3. You need to work on your writing ability. Nobody will take your comments serious when they display like that.

I love people talking about the EB with confidence and then say things showing they know nothing about the car.
Yeah, maybe the Hellion twin turbo kit which is basically a bolt on system (but is really stretching that moniker IMHO).

I bought the GT for the sound and feel of a V8. The tuned EB can be just as satisfying.

My co-worker is happy with his EB. I'm happy with my GT. Each his own.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Yeah, maybe the Hellion twin turbo kit which is basically a bolt on system (but is really stretching that moniker IMHO).

I bought the GT for the sound and feel of a V8. The tuned EB can be just as satisfying.

My co-worker is happy with his EB. I'm happy with my GT. Each his own.
It's more than stretching it, it goes completely against the meaning.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Turbo cars tend to "feel" stronger than they are due to their power delivery. But the area "under the curve" is what matters most in the street, and more displace my is the best way to get that kind of power.