Sponsored

Coyote 5.0 Vibration

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
This week I was in Orlando, FL on business. When I booked the rental car, I got a "Full Size" car. When I went to pick up the car at Budget, I asked them casually if they had any hardtop Ford Mustangs. He said he would check. 30 seconds later he says, "We just had one come back I think you're going to like - it's a hot rod out of our exotic collection," and I responded, "A 5.0 GT?" and he nodded his head yes. I said, "How much are you going to stick me for that?" He said, you're a repeat customer, we can do it for an extra $15 a day (my booked rental was $25 a day). I said "ABSOLUTELY." This is the first time I've been able to drive at GT for an extended period of time like that (4 days). i'm planning to buy a 2018 GT or GT350. After a lot of freeway cruising at 70MPH, i noticed there's a good deal of vibration out of the motor (I drove the 2.3T earlier this summer for a week and didn't have that issue). Is that normal with the Coyote motor (with the two large heads and 4 cams)? When I drove a GT350R earlier this year at Buttonwillow Raceway, didn't really notice it that much. Curious as to all of your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Whatever you were feeling, it wasn't the engine. I've only ever noticed vibration from a Coyote at idle.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The vibration is not from the engine but probably from abused tires. People drive the crap out of rental cars. I wouldn't be surprised someone has done handbrake turns or burnouts on that car so the tires are not evenly worn.
The Coyote is pretty smooth for a V8.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Not usual. I've had mine for well over a year with suspension and bracing mods and still no vibration. That sounds like unbalanced tires or a bad alignment. When I had a really bad balance from Kauffman I had vibration at 80 that shook the whole car. They blamed my wheels so I took it to Discount Tire and they fixed it right up with an actual balance. I'm betting that's the issue here.

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
You can't judge the car by driving a rental fleet one. Cause nothing parties like a rental.

OP
OP

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
This week I was in Orlando, FL on business. When I booked the rental car, I got a "Full Size" car. When I went to pick up the car at Budget, I asked them casually if they had any hardtop Ford Mustangs. He said he would check. 30 seconds later he says, "We just had one come back I think you're going to like - it's a hot rod out of our exotic collection," and I responded, "A 5.0 GT?" and he nodded his head yes. I said, "How much are you going to stick me for that?" He said, you're a repeat customer, we can do it for an extra $15 a day (my booked rental was $25 a day). I said "ABSOLUTELY." This is the first time I've been able to drive at GT for an extended period of time like that (4 days). i'm planning to buy a 2018 GT or GT350. After a lot of freeway cruising at 70MPH, i noticed there's a good deal of vibration out of the motor (I drove the 2.3T earlier this summer for a week and didn't have that issue). Is that normal with the Coyote motor (with the two large heads and 4 cams)? When I drove a GT350R earlier this year at Buttonwillow Raceway, didn't really notice it that much. Curious as to all of your thoughts. Thanks!
Thanks for your thoughts folks. BTW, it was a BLAST driving that car. Certainly neck-snapping acceleration! My partner almost lost his cup of coffee when I got onto the Interstate on-ramp.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Driveline vibe - documented by the few thousand responses in that thread that was linked.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I haven't noticed any vibration as described in the linked thread. I do have a little bit of whining/hissing noise that comes and goes as I go up through the gears and stops if I grab the shifter stalk at the base. It isn't a big deal, but I will mention it at the first service. I'm just shy of 900mi.

Update:
I drove about 75 miles today up into the mountains. I tried to simulate the conditions under which others have the vibration problem, and mine is rock solid at all speeds to about 85. I just feel that awesome Coyote growl. That leaves me to conclude three possibilities:

1) The vibration hasn't started yet.
2) Ford fixed the problem.
3) I got lucky.
Sponsored

Last edited: