Sponsored

Considering trading in my 2017 Ecoboost for a V6?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
noooooo bad decision. Keep the ecoboost.

If anything keep saving for a V8
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And as an oldie who has driven Mustangs for 20 years I did not want this to be some inter model pissing contest. I do feel though that the V6 was unfairly treated prior to EOL. Having said that the number “one” complaint of EcoBoost owners is the sound. That is why they have engine sound augmentation in the cabin while the V6 and V8 don’t. The Eco is more mod friendly and not EOL so diffent flavours. But the sound comparison is beyond debate. In my humble opinion.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
And as an oldie who has driven Mustangs for 20 years I did not want this to be some inter model pissing contest. I do feel though that the V6 was unfairly treated prior to EOL. Having said that the number “one” complaint of EcoBoost owners is the sound. That is why they have engine sound augmentation in the cabin while the V6 and V8 don’t. The Eco is more mod friendly and not EOL so diffent flavours. But the sound comparison is beyond debate. In my humble opinion.
I have to agree on this. The v6 was actually finally VERY good when it was discontinued. Nice linear power delivery, and weight balance. Shame it was overshadowed by the modability of the 2.3T and its ability to sip fuel a little better on the highway.

There was a bit when after my Mach1 was called Totalled that I was thinking of getting the V6. Same horsepower, just a torque drop. I just needed a 4 door and better MPG at the time.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The EcoBoost drops to like 275 horsepower on 87 while the V6 is at 300 horsepower.

As for the sound being the same: :lol:
Yes... I'm well aware of the hp drop. I own the car... He said 87 octane... You can run 87 in either car without hurting it.

Also, I never said the sound was the same. Maybe you should reread what I said for comprehension purposes. I said they both sound like shit, which is true.

Run 87 on the Eco and you'll make less power than the 6 though. Supposedly 275. Not much of a difference, but then neither is the additional power of the Eco.

And for sound, it's easier to make the V6 sound better but neither is a V8.

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Obviously not every ecoboost is the same but the only people that blow up their ecoboosts are people who have tuned it past a safe operating limit and also usually the same people that decide to go wide open throttle in sixth gear.
Not true at all. There have been cases of non tuned EB's popping. 2 guys near me popped theirs. Been many posts on them here. I had a 16 EB and sold it privately as I was tempted to start modding/tuning but was too nervous about that motor. Got a GT instead.

quiong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
Yes... I'm well aware of the hp drop. I own the car... He said 87 octane... You can run 87 in either car without hurting it.

Also, I never said the sound was the same. Maybe you should reread what I said for comprehension purposes. I said they both sound like shit, which is true.
Sound is subjective and ultimately up to OP to decide. He already mentioned he missed the way his 2006 V6 sounds and doesn’t like his EB sound. So he can have a preference even if you think both sound like shit.

Regardless most people are not recommending he switch and I’m one of them despite driving a V6 myself, although it’s not completely without merit. The inter model rivalry is pretty dumb and doesn’t help OP.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
should you trade? there is not enough information to make sound recommendation only opinions. Only you can make the decision on what is best for you.

1. on the financial side trading so soon is a bad idea. Maybe give it sometime then reevaluate your options.
2. current car is under warranty which is good but recommend not modding to be hassle free getting the work done. depending on dealership they can be a PITA on mods.
3. if you are really worried maybe try to find a V6 that the lease is ended or was traded in on A "GT". Local to me found three 2015-16 V6 mustangs in 16-19K $ range depending on miles. Max in those listed was 30k and that is nothing to the 3.7 just getting broke in.

Really like the GT solves all problems crowd: rats eat wiring get a GT, bird craps on the car get a GT........by the way should have got a GT to start with.:doh:

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the V8 also has a sound tube. Only the V6 doesn’t have one.

Sponsored

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
A v6 Mustang is more desirable than a GT350?
Thehunterooo, re-read my post. I said:” In fact, I think it’s the 2nd most desirable model after the GT350R.”

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

I think you're the only one with a comprehension issue on that part, sure you may not love the way your car sounds but I think my car sounds pretty good the way I have it. I didn't say they sound the same either, I said the V6 is easier to make sound better than the Eco. And stock it wasn't shit sounding, more of a "oh you were revving??"

And if you're running 87 you may as well get the V6 because you'd be making about 10% more HP and be sounding better, just worse off on torque (by roughly that same 10% margin).

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Take the money you would lose with the depreciation hit and put it towards a new place with a garage or into savings to help with any untimely booms.
Or see your doc for a psych med to ease the worrying, definitely the cheaper option! I don’t mean to be a dick..I’ve been there myself.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Thehunterooo, re-read my post. I said:” In fact, I think it’s the 2nd most desirable model after the GT350R.”
Yeah that's the R, unless you mean the regular 350 as well? Still an insanely silly post regardless.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Thank you. Yeah, I hope I won't have any Ecoboom issues. But, with the rat eating the wires and no chance of me moving anytime soon, my mind has been in overdrive and overthinking everything. I guess I'll just live with the decision.

I live in an apartment complex without a garage and I'm in Colorado.
The rats ate and disabled two coil pack wires and left urine and feces all over the engine and I had it repaired, but got the car back and the next night they came back and started nesting and chewing. It gets repaired, yet again on Tuesday and I don't know what else to do but keep filing claims for my insurance company every two weeks. I have tried rat poison, repellent sprays of many kinds and no luck. Now my car just smells horrible from the repellents.

:doh:

Well... rodents can chew on any engine, v6, v8, turbo or otherwise. So you should worry more about the "rats", than the type of engine you have.

Secondly, if you bought the EB mustang and are having no (FORD) issues, then what is your worry. Your Mustang has a Warranty and is backed by Ford.

The battle between you, the rodents and your insurance seems frustrating though. (If you get a pair cats, you won't have rats.)
Sponsored